Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: home built checks

Boolit Master

home built checks

I see many posts about the home made checks . Why would anyone waste time makeing checks that are not near as good as GATOR checks . You cant be that damn tight. I would rather spend my time casting than making junk.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    I see many posts about the home made checks . Why would anyone waste time makeing checks that are not near as good as GATOR checks . You cant be that damn tight. I would rather spend my time casting than making junk.

WT*?!?!? Wow, I had the same view about casting my own slugs up until about a year and a half ago?

You cant be serious?!?!? I guess some of us just like to be as self suffiecent as possible.
    Last edited by rugerman1; 11-03-2009 at 03:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    WOW Again. I make my own checks and they are every bit as good as a gator/hornady/lyman check. The proof is in the shooting as my groups are the same with either check installed.

So......................when I can sit and make a gas check for free then it seems like I've done something that I have chosen to freely do. This is a forum that is designed to help others and to gain knowledge from the experienced. I have no problems with people who shoot gator checks or whatever and will gladly help someone understand how to cast, shoot, reload, make gas checks, promote gun safety etc. Power to you on your endeavors into shooting and let others do what it is that floats their boat.

Rob
    Last edited by RobS; 11-03-2009 at 02:34 AM.

Boolit Master

"I would rather spend my time casting than making junk."

Well, I guess some are more talented than others and are capable of making good checks. Mine shoot just fine and fit just like any other check.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    Wow,
    I agree, but only for myself as I'm so darn busy I almost have no time to shoot, let alone cast. But, if you in fact have the time and like to tinker WTH, why not. In reality I'd be better off hiring someone to cast for me with my moulds right now, but I enjoy it. So again WTH.

Banned
    shotman,

Why would you say such a mooncalf thing?

Joe

Le Loup Solitaire

Home made gas checks

If someone has not made their own checks and used them how can they state (A)that doing so is a waste of time, (B)that the homemade ones are as good or not as good as anything else, and (C) that it is all about making junk. Any insidious platitudes notwithstanding, I can't see the forest because of the trees and don't bother me with the facts because my mind is already made up. LLS

Now really...your just trying to get a rise out of the good folks on this site right...right???
    Certainlt you would not have some idea that your lazy negative p*ss poor opinion really matters to those that pursue self efficentcy...right???
    Man I really hope you were pulling my leg with that comment cause if your not, brother your on the wrong site!

Dont know been waiting for my check maker for 6 months.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Mr Shotman's comment bring to mind an old Chinese Proverb I recall reading a while back.

When paraphrased in the English language it goes something like this:
    "Those who say that something can't be done, should not hinder or interfere with those who are actually doing it."

The thing that "can't be done" being, the making of home made gas checks that are just as good if not better than commercial gas checks.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

No matter what brand they are they're made by Hornady I believe. Whaddya' got to lose by trying to roll yur own man?

..................and yes, I am exactly that tight, hope that doesn't offend you....

Boolit Master
    I make them because I can, and they work just fine. Another aspect of the hobby....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Some of us that have worked hard all of our lives to make people like SHOTMAN rich enough to make comments like that might just want to take him behind the barn. The whole thing about reloading is being as safe and self reliant as possible. This is a great site to learn more and share experiences with others not BRAG HOW RICH YOU ARE. I am sure there are many here that could buy and sell this person many times over but they never brag. Many of us simply like to prove that we can make many great things with our own two hands. If you can not, sit down and ask questions, learn patience and try to understand that many of us are in our second childhood and like to get our hands and fingernails dirty.

Boolit Master
    Made a 100 each for the .357 and .44 calibers (gas checks) and fired them a few weeks ago---they were accurate and I felt might gratified that I had made my own... also, realized that over time I will use them more and the cost will be minimal..I liked that feeling as well.

Boolit Grand Master

I reload, because I can. I cast for my reloads because I can. I'll make my own Gas Checks, because some of my Cast Boolits need them. If I could make powder and primers I would be grinning from ear to ear.
    There was a time when I had an income and lots less time. I reloaded Cast Boolits then too, but with bought Gas Checks.
    The fact that I cast and reload, is now the difference between shooting, and wishing I could.
    If you young folks live long enough, you'll understand the real value of self reliance.

Banned
    Hasn't it been traditionally that musketman/rifleman/hunter etc., just about made everything to fire his firearms? Nothing new here, we're still doing it. There's a certain satisfaction in it. Money sometimes necessitates that we make our own stuff.

Joe

I like the JUNK I MAKE !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Web Gas Check Die Set 009.jpg  
    Mr. Bill2

Hey to all I've been reloading for many years and just here in th past oh 3 or 4 I started casting my own boolits. There's nothing better. Can someone turn me on how to make my own checks? I'd rather sit out in my "dog house" drink a beer, watch a hunting show and cast or load. If I can make my own checls that would be even better. Any help would be awesome.
    Gravity is not just a good idea........ ITS THE LAW!!!
    How can i soar like an Eagle.... When I am surrounded by Turkeys!!!!

Boolit Mold
    I'm with OneShotNeeded in that I would be interested in finding out how people make their own checks, what material is used and the tools needed to make them. I'm now back into making boolits, something I did quite a lot 30 years ago. Back then there were freechecks tools that people used to stamp checks out of plastics, milk cartons and the like but as I recall, most left something to be desired. Also, I don't know what Gator checks are. I'm relatively new to this web site and as I have the time, I will learn more about all aspects of cast boolits.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    I'm with OneShotNeeded in that I would be interested in finding out how people make their own checks, what material is used and the tools needed to make them. I'm now back into making boolits, something I did quite a lot 30 years ago. Back then there were freechecks tools that people used to stamp checks out of plastics, milk cartons and the like but as I recall, most left something to be desired. Also, I don't know what Gator checks are. I'm relatively new to this web site and as I have the time, I will learn more about all aspects of cast boolits.
    Gator checks are a copper gas check made by a man named Blackmon I believe and are distributed by our forum member blammer. They are dang near factory checks, as good, and more likely better, then Hornadys. The nice thing about them is that they are cheap...real cheap. I suggest if you're not going to make your own checks to get in on a buy for the Gator checks.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast