Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox PBcastco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walgreens beeswax?

Boolit Master

Walgreens beeswax?

I was looking at the Felix Lube recipe, which calls for a chunk of beeswax about 3.5" x 3.5" x 1".

I just did a little research, and found the following site http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/spec_gra2.html that states that beeswax weighs 60 lbs/cu ft.

-so-
    1728 cu inches of beeswax = 60 lbs
    -so-
    28.8 cu inches of beeswax = 16 oz

The felix lube recipe calls for 3.5"x3.5"x1" chunk of beeswax
    -so-
    the felix lube recipe calls for 12.25 cu in of beeswax
    -and-
    12.25 cu in of beeswax should weigh 6.8 oz.

Walgreens carries 7.5 oz containers of 100% beeswax $2.00 http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...sku=sku3458861 so one of these should have more than enough for a batch of lube.

Since beeswax seems to be selling for $12-$16/lb everywhere else, I wonder why this Walgreens stuff is selling for about $4/lb, and whether it will work in Felix lube?

Randy

Banned

I figured beeswax at about 7 oz per 12.25 cu. in. based on the specific gravity listed in Van Nostrand's encylopaedia. I usually make double batches and just throw in a pound of wax and call it good.

As far as the Softee stuff goes, I think it may be a preparation containing beeswax, you can see part of what looks like an ingredients list on the side of the label. There was a thread a couple of weeks back on this and no one actually went to the store and looked at the jar to see.

Softee doesn't fess up online as to what their products contain.

Maybe you can volunteer to discover the answer?

I buy all my wax from Randyrat here in the vendor section.

Gear

Banned

I just found a higher res of the Walgreen's pic and I can make out "petrolatum", "beeswax" and "XX 11" and possibly "red 17", it appears that this is a cheap petroleum concoction containing a small amount of "100% natural beeswax" (not to be confused by the sort of beeswax made by unnatural bees).

Might be ok just as-is for pisol boolit lube, never thought of that before.

Gear

5000 feet high in the fragrant pines of central Arizona
    From Walgreen's customer review: "Perfect for Dreadlocks"

Well, that settles it: GROUP BUY!

Boolit Master
    Might be ok just as-is for pisol boolit lube
    Do we have a volunteer?!

I just looked up randyrat's beeswax on the forum, and I agree -- that's the way to go. No more Walgreen's foolery.

Randy
    Last edited by ghh3rd; 11-03-2009 at 08:34 AM.

From Walgreen's customer review: "Perfect for Dreadlocks"

Well, that settles it: GROUP BUY!
    Right on I am so in. I always thought I would look good in dreds! Now I'll have to start working on my Jamaican accent. LMAO

What yuh gonna do to git ugly enough to wear 'em?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Do we have a volunteer?!

I just looked up randyrat's beeswax on the forum, and I agree -- that's the way to go. No more Walgreen's foolery.

Randy

Nope. I'm happy with Felix lube and occasionally LLA/JPW. I'll leave the Softee alone, count me out for the group buy!

Randy's wax has been quite hard, yellow, and has a delightful sweet honey scent to it, absolutely perfect for boolit lube base as it is firm enough for Texas summer lube and can be made softer if desired by adding the appropriate stuff. Some beeswax I've used has been too soft to begin with and needed paraffin to harden it a bit. Not the end of the world, but I prefer to stay away from paraffin.

There is at least one other member selling wax, you might check it out, but I bought from Randyrat first and I ain't going nowhere else.

Gear

I just bought 3lbs from our sponsor Randy today.

Good price, and he is one of us.

Wallgreens (WAG on the NYSE) wont miss your couple of bucks
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master
    I just fired off an email to the VP of sales for Softee brand products asking for an MSD on their beeswax. I'll post it when(if) I get it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Material Safety Data Sheet

Issue Date: August 22, 1996 Page 1 of 3
    Revision Date: August 12, 2008

Manufacturer

Memphis Contract Packaging, Inc.
    95 Ball Park Road
    Somerville, TN 38068

Section I - Product Identification

Product Name: This MSDS applies to the following Softee products: Blue Bergamot, Green Bergamot, Castor Oil Conditioner, Coconut Oil Conditioner, Herbal Gro, Hair Food with Vitamin E, Indian Hemp, Marcel Wax, Petroleum Jelly, Vitamin E Hair and Scalp Treatment, Brilliantine Lavender Pomade and Brilliantine Hair Pomade, African Crown Hair Dressing, Beeswax Conditioner, African Shea Butter Conditioner, Olive Oil Conditioner, Mango Growth Treatment, Green Tea Growth Treatment, Mango Butter Hair Dress.

Chemical Name / Synonyms: White Petrolatum with various fragrances and colors
    Description: A soft, colored and fragranced petrolatum based product. This product is a cosmetic product intended to be used by consumers in a manner consistent with the labeling on the unit.

Section II - Hazardous Ingredients

Ingredient: None of these products contain materials that are hazardous as defined in 29 CFR §1910.1200. Each product is labeled according to FDA guidelines with all ingredients contained in them.

According to federal law, certain products and chemicals are exempt from MSDS requirements. These exemptions apply to any food, drug or cosmetics that are currently regulated by the FDA – 29 CFR § 1900.1200 (b)(5)(iii). Federal regulations also exempt cosmetics which are packaged for sale to consumers in a retail establishment and those intended for personal consumption by employees in the workplace – 29 CFR § 1900.1200 (b)(6)(viii). “Cosmetics” are defined very broadly and include virtually any article used on the body for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or altering one’s appearance – 21 USCA § 321 (i). (7-1-01 editions)

Section III - Physical Data

Melting Point: Approx.135°F Vapor Pressure: <1 mmHg @ 70°F
    Boiling Point: Approx. 650°F Appearance: Opaque, Semi-solid grease with Solubility: Soluble in Hydrocarbons or without added solid particles.

Specific Gravity: Approximately .86 at 60°F
    Odor: Odorless Percent Volatile: Nil @ Ambient Temp.

Section IV - Fire and Explosion Data

Flash Point: Approximately 400°F
    Flammability Limit: No Data
    Extinguishing Media: Use dry chemicals, CO2 or Foam
    Special Fire Fighting Procedures: Water may be ineffective but can be used to cool containers exposed to heat or flame. Caution should be exercised when using water or foam as frothing may occur, especially if sprayed into containers of hot, burning liquid. Wear self-contained breathing equipment.
    Unusual Fire and Explosive Conditions: Dense smoke may be generated while burning. Carbon dioxide and other oxides may be generated as products of combustion.

Section V - Health Hazard Data

Eye Contact: This product is minimally irritating to the eyes upon direct contact. Based on testing of similar products and/or components.
    Skin Contact: This product is minimally irritating to the skin upon direct contact. Based on testing of similar products and/or components.
    Inhalation: This product has a low vapor pressure and is not expected to present an inhalation hazard at ambient conditions. Caution should be taken to prevent aerosolization or misting of this product. The permissible exposure limit (PEL) and threshold limit value (TLV) for this product as oil mist is 5 mg/m3. Exposures below 5 mg/m3 appear to be without significant health risk. The short-term exposure limit for this product as an oil mist is 10 mg/m3.
    Ingestion: Do not ingest. Petrolatum is practically non-toxic by ingestion. Petrolatum has laxative properties and may result in abdominal cramps and diarrhea.
    Health Data: Petrolatum or Petrolatum Jelly is a microcrystalline wax with a defined oil content. Microcrystalline waxes consist mainly of iso- and cycloparaffins with some alkylated aromatic hydrocarbons. Petrolatums are nontoxic and some petrolatums have been approved for food and medicinal use.
    Exposure to a large single dose, or repeated smaller doses of petrolatum by inhalation, aspiration or ingesting leading to aspiration can lead to lipid pneumonia or lipid granuloma of the lung. These are low-grade, chronic, localized tissue reactions. Shortness of breath and cough are the most common symptoms.
    Petrolatums were not carcinogenic in mice when applied dermally or administered subcutaneously; or in rats when injected intraperitoneally or included in the diet for two years. This product is not carcinogenic according to the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard
    Emergency & First Aid Procedures:
    Eyes: Immediately flush eyes with large amounts of water and continue flushing until irritation subsides. If material is hot, treat for thermal burns and take victim to hospital immediately.
    Skin: Remove contaminated clothing. Wash contaminated area thoroughly with soap and water. If material is hot, submerge injured area in cold water. If victim is severely burned, remove to a hospital immediately.
    Inhalation: This material has a low vapor pressure and is not expected to present an inhalation exposure at ambient conditions. If vapor or mist is generated when the material is heated or handled, remove victim from exposure.
    Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Call a physician.
    Hazardous Decomposition Products: Carbon Monoxide and Asphyxiants.
    Hazardous Polymerization: Will not occur.

Section VI - Spill or Leak Procedures

Spills: Confine spills. Shovel when congealed. Advise EPA and State Agency if required.

Disposal: Follow Federal, State and Local Regulations.

Section VII – Special Protection Information

Respiration Protection: Not required
    Ventilation: Good, Normal Local: None Special: None
    General: None Other: None
    Protective Gloves: Not required
    Other Protective Equipment: None

Section VIII - Handling and Storage Precautions

This material is classified as DOT Regulation Class 50, Toiletries and Cosmetics.

Section IX - Additional Information

This material is not carcinogenic by National Toxicology Program, International Agency for research on Cancer or OHSA Reg. 29 CFR 1910 Subpart 2.

The information contained herein is based on data available to us and is believed to be correct. However, Memphis Contract Packaging, Inc. makes no warranty, expressed or implied regarding the accuracy or completeness of this information or the results to be obtained from the use thereof.

Date Prepared: August 22, 1996 J. Brown
    Date Revised: August 12, 2008 Memphis Contract Packaging, Inc.

Well, there ya' have it. It ain't no more bee's wax than the moon is green cheese.

Boolit Master
    One must be cautious when reading product labels. Just because it said it's made with 100% pure beeswax does not mean that the finished product is 100% pure beeswax. Kinda like JPW being made with pure carnauba. Pure carnauba is used but only 5% or so of the total product weight. Or your favorite canned soup being made with pure sea salt. The soup is not pure sea salt is it?

Boolit Buddy
    I think I offered to a fella on here, and never followed through. I've got a few jars of pure beeswax. Oh, and you've gotta finish eating the honey before you can use the wax....

If you want a large quantity (I've only got 4-5 quarts maybe), I'll talk to an uncle about parting with his stash... at this point you'd be waiting until spring b/c the bees will be needing their honey for the winter

Boolit Master
    Well I've never had beeswax with honey, but it sounds interesting. I've always wondered how you remove the residual honey from the wax. I think it would be a great experience to make some lube, starting off with some honeycomb -- talk about getting the full experience!

If you have some you can give me I'd be glad to get it from you. PM me and we can figure out shipping cost.

Thanks,

Randy

Banned

If you really want the whole experience, come to my place and I'll teach you how to raise bees. I think I'm gonna have to give a go again after I lost my last hive to the little Africanized&^@#$%^*. Had to kill the whole thing.

I used to have several hives and always canned the honey with a big premium chunk of decapped comb in the jar, thought it looked neat and I had a habit of breaking a chunk off with a spoon and chewing it like gum.

In the meantime I'll buy mine from Randyrat.

Gear

I wonder if that Wallgreens wax comes from Chinese bees
    Last edited by Lead Fred; 11-05-2009 at 01:41 AM.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    I wonder if that Wallgreens wax comes from Chinese bees
    Nope - that the Walmart brand.

Boolit Master
    I'm kinda wondering about the "Indian Hemp" that was listed...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

beeswax

I just looked up beeswax on web.$6.00 a lb.
    WILDCATT

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I'm kinda wondering about the "Indian Hemp" that was listed...
    Don't inhale the smoke when you shoot it!
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast