Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
PBcastco Wideners

Thread: Lee Liquid Alox..

Boolit Mold

Lee Liquid Alox..

Hallo there!

-In YOUR experience,- using Lee liquid Alox, what is the max. velocity of a cast bullet before we get into leading problems ?!

-And perhaps a dumb question here,- but using Lee liquid Alox on a Paperpatched bullet,- maximum velocity limit here ?

Thank you for any info.!

Christian.

Boolit Grand Master
    I take it as this would be assuming a properly sized boolit to fit a particular firearm??
    Shot some LEE TLSWC 158 gr. .358 at 1200 or so with no leading. As fast as I've gone.

Do a search. I recall someone taking them to 1400.
    I believe LEE makes a TL mold for the 7.62x39. Those would probably go faster.
    I don't cast or load for that cartridge.

I get better accuracy well below those speeds.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

The answer is "It depends". There are too many other factors involved to say unequivocally that a bullet can be pushed to X velocity before leading will start using LLA. Alloy, Fit, powder speed, etc all play a role and will alter the answer.

To give you a more narrowly defined answer, using air cooled wheel weights at velocities of 1200 fps or less, I haven't ever had a leading problem that I could attribute to the use of LLA.

I have successfully used water dropped ww alloy up to about 1800 fps in several rifles without any problem I could attribute to LLA as well but most of these loads are also gaschecked.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

To just under 2000 fps in my 30-30. Those were gas-checked in addition to LLA, however.

The qualifiers about alloy and fit (especially fit) are not to be dismissed.

Banned

i have talked to some that have claimed alox waaay up there in velocity in the 2700 fps zone.
    not tried it not gonna either but i do use it as a part of my h/v lube.
    and iv'e gone to the 2700 with it.

Boolit Master
    I have used LLA on my RD 460-350 w/GC and have no leading at 1925 FPS in my 45-70.

G

Smile

I believe Lee actually claims it's good to 2400 FPS. I've got some loads that work pretty well around 2200. Obviously there are many other variables besides the lube.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    I shoot paper-patched with smokeless powder, at around 2000 fps, with LLA as the lube. No leading problems. IF however, I load the same PP boolits, also lubed with LLA, to much above 2200 (with any powder I've tried, fast or slow)..... leading occurs. No way to attribute that to LLA, or any other specific factor, other than perhaps the BHN, which is 12 - 15, in this case. It is my impression that BHN will be more of a determining factor to max boolit velocity (indirectly, though, because max. chamber pressure that the boolit alloy can stand is the REAL factor)...... than the lube used.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used LLA with heat treated GC bullets in the velocity range of 1800 - 1900 fps. Absolutely no leading.

Trifocals
    NRA life member

"Never give in except to convictions of honor and good."
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Buddy

Dumb question?

I'm fairly new to casting and haven't had any leading problems in my pistols or rifles, however I keep rifle velocities low and haven't (yet) experimented with high velocity cast rifle loads. So far I've been using LLA without problems.

Here's my dumb question: For guys who are having leading problems, would there be any advantage in swabbing your bore with LLA in addition to coating the boolits? I haven't heard anyone suggest that yet.

Best regards
    Doc

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
    I'm fairly new to casting and haven't had any leading problems in my pistols or rifles, however I keep rifle velocities low and haven't (yet) experimented with high velocity cast rifle loads. So far I've been using LLA without problems.

Here's my dumb question: For guys who are having leading problems, would there be any advantage in swabbing your bore with LLA in addition to coating the boolits? I haven't heard anyone suggest that yet.

Best regards

Doc
    Never tried that but I would be careful as when completely dry you can not wipe the stuff off. Run a JPW patch down the bore and let dry works OK.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Hallo there!

-In YOUR experience,- using Lee liquid Alox, what is the max. velocity of a cast bullet before we get into leading problems ?!

-And perhaps a dumb question here,- but using Lee liquid Alox on a Paperpatched bullet,- maximum velocity limit here ?

Thank you for any info.!

Christian.

With specific regard to paper-patch lube, you might try posting over on the PP page, some of those guys really know their stuff about pping and lubes.

I use LLA for some high-volume auto pistol and .38 special plinkers. I've used it for many other things, but use real lube for that now because the LLA never gave me the same accuracy as Felix, Lar's, or LBT.

Gear

Banned

Wow, 11 responses and nobody welcomes the new guy? Welcome aboard Christian! Hope our input helps.

Gear

Boolit Man

Lla

I have a .30 Carbine barrel for my Contender. With the .30"soupcan" LLA will do as good as anything. When I go to my 300 whisper barrel,Felix lube seems to get the nod with the soupcan. With 311299,Lars BAC does it best

Boolit Mold
    Hallo geargnasher.

Thank you for welcomming me.
    -It touched my heart.., it really did'.

Honest Chr-

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
    Other folks have mentioned doing that. I haven't tried it myself.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    1800 in SKS with GC. Using Lyman #s2 alloy 162 Lee TL

Howdy noob! glad you found the forums!