Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special

Boolit Master

Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special

This is a question for those of you who have a Lipsey's .44 Special. Did you have to order one? Am I wasting my time just looking for one? From what I read in Handloader magazine they only made 1,000 each with a 4 5/8th's inch barrel and a 5 1/2 inch barrel.

I have spent several months looking for a .45 ACP to suit me and have changed my mind to looking for a new Ruger Flattop. I would probably buy a .357 if I could not find a .44 Special, but the .44 Special really is my favorite revolver cartridge. Thanks,

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Grand Master
    The Lipsey ,Ruger 44 Specials aren't easy to find.

Not certain what to recommend to you right now.

I was lucky, I simply walked into a gun shop in Birmingham about 6 months ago and there mine was..........

Ben

Boolit Master
    They are going to get much easier, Ruger just added them to their catalog, no more limited edition 44 specials!

Dick

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range Keyhorse's Avatar

.44 Ruger black hawks

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    They are going to get much easier, Ruger just added them to their catalog, no more limited edition 44 specials!

Dick
    Just curious if Ruger gave any idea when the .44 special will be available ?
    Thanks in advance....Dennis

Boolit Grand Master

Google Lipsey Distributors and get a list of their dealers. Then get on the phone and start calling. The last batch was delivered earlier this month and there are sure to be some still around.

I have a 5½" .44 Lipsey Special and I can assure you they are worth looking for.

Ruger is showing them as a stock item for next year (in the 2010 Catalog) so if you miss this batch you have a chance next year. I suggest you log onto the two Ruger Forums and ask around. There have been some great tips there on where to buy and "who has what"...:

www.rugerforum.com and www.rugerforum.net

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the responses. I am glad that Ruger will make this a regular item. I visited several stores that did not have them, and called two more. One said they had never had one, another said they had sold several, but had no plans to order more. Again, great to hear that this will be easier to find in the future.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Dale gives good advice on how to find one. I placed an order with my local FFL dealer, not a gunshop. I ordered in February 2009 and it finally arrived in early October. It was worth every bit of the wait. Excellent gun in fit, finish, overall quality, and caliber. And the way it feels in my hand can only be described as sexy and sleek. When Ruger puts them in general production they will be bestsellers, I just hope they keep up the quality shown in the special editions.

Boolit Master
    I called about 10 gunshops on Saturday, no luck. I visited 4 gunshops today and called three more when I got home. Still no luck.

Today I visited four gunshops and 3 tire stores. No gun, no primers, no wheelweights. I don't know how you guys find the wheelweights.

Anyway, two places said they would call me back even though Lipsey's says they have no more guns. Maybe they will find one floating around out there.

The one thing I did see that interested me was a Smith and Wesson model 15-4. A shooter at a reasonable price, or so I thought. With the dash -4 designation, does anyone know how old that gun would be? The owner of the shop said he had no idea.

The really bad news is that one shop spoke to Lipsey's for me and they say that Ruger will produce the .44 special as a regular catalogue item starting in April 2010 BUT that the gun will not be a flattop model. If so, that means this is my only chance to find one.

Oh well, if I can not find one, maybe something else would be better.

exile

Boolit Buddy

The 44 special will be a flattop model, identical in every way to the Lipsey's guns, confirmed by Ruger themselves. You gotta take certain things with a grain of salt. BTW, there were 2 on GB as of yesterday if one of your FFLs will let you ship one into them.

Are they going to have steel grip frames too? I wondered if they might go with the lighter aluminum alloy...

I love my 4 3/4" Lipsey model.
    Endowment Life Member NRA
    Life Member NAHC
    Journeyman WECSOG'er

Boolit Master
    I sure like my 4 5/8's shortie, this whitetail doe didn't seem to care for it much. Shot her in SW Montna last weekend using the Skeeter load, 7.5 grs of Unique & the great 250 gr Keith slug. She only went 25 yds.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master

sixshot;
    You ought to be ashamed of yourself! Trying to tell us that a .44 Special with Skeeter's load will kill a deer. Why, to hear most tell it that is a deermouse load, no more.

Good show on your part, good gun, and good load (also, nice pictures). You should have some nice chops from that little lady.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Dale53