Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Twist Rate For .416 Taylor?

Boolit Bub
    Three 44s ----
    After re-reading the start of this post -- You mentioned earlier you were considering a 1-10 twist, wasn't aware that was even offered. That might not be so good for the lighter bullets. You might consider the 1-12 as a good compromise -- in the end it's your choice. Or if you get a good deal on the bbl. get two with both twists to try and compare! Good luck with whatever you choose.

Wish somebody with a faster twist would post their experience.

Just a heads up I just recently received my 416 Taylor dies from Lee --- for the price they look good and major saving from the RCBS. ---they are limited run so you might want to order before they also are out of stock. Tried mine on resizing .458--they work fine.

Bob.

Just for an FYI there Three44's I found someone who advertizes 416 drop ins for the Savage..

http://4-dproducts.com/savage-new.php
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Three44's -- also heads up you might want to check out Shaw--- as it appears on their web site they are again making 416 bbls. Although quite economical -- still not as cheap as that Midway deal was -- Midway's price might not be ever available again if it was some sort of surplus blowout.

Bob.

Boolit Master
    AkMike,

Thank you for the link!

I'll check it out.

abob,

I will call Shaw again ........ last fall they told me they had given up on .416 bore for lack of business and their tooling was all worn out and needed to be replaced (they were my next most economical choice)

Also, I thought that a "ten" twist would be a little harsh for boolits ........ I think that the "fourteen" should be the best from what all you folks have been posting.

Also, I just checked and Midway is waving the white flag on the .416 A&B blanks ... so I won't be pining over that spilled milk anymore.

Three 44s

Boolit Mold

Best Twist Rate for .416 Taylor

Re-starting an old thread here especially for Three44s. I built my .416 Taylor on a Savage and put a drop-in barrel from Shilen.

In Remembrance

Haven`t heard from Three44s in awhile. Please tell me he has found a barrel for his project?Robert

Boolit Master
    Hello guys!!!

Thanks for the kind thoughts in restarting this one!!

I just looked at ER Shaw's site and they must have a soft spot for this bore size as well!!! They have brought it and the .416 Taylor chambering back and are also building pre-fit barrels for the Savage rifle!!!

Now ........... from their web site, they are building on a "15" twist ...... 1-15" ..........

........... Is that quick enough?

I like the price if I am correct ....... I read $180 for barrel and shipping! I can sure live with that!!!

Best regards

Three 44s

In Remembrance

I don`t think there will be any problem with a 15" twist. My Shilen is a 14" twist and has given me no trouble with any bullet weight for stabilizeing. You might look into the barrel fluteing Shaw offers, they make a gun look sharp.

I have been making some H.P. bullets on the mold buckshot worked for me. Frank505 has been testing them on critters with dramatic results from his Taylor. Thus far the only alloy being used is straight wheel weight air cooled. With warmer weather I`ll be trying other softer alloys and see how well they print of paper. I thought someone was hitting on my arthritic hands with a hammer the other day when I was out in the barn, still too cold for me.Robert

Boolit Bub
    Hey 3-44's ---- Midway is showing the A&B .416 bbl blank again available for $99.99 !!! Was just on their site and noted status.

Hardcast416Taylor- Rob ---- you just about have your spring weather yet? -- looking forward to hear how your .416 paper patch is coming along

In Remembrance

Well, today was a warm and balmy -4 degrees F this morning at 8:30. I somehow don`t think that qualifies as Spingtime temps! I was on my tractor dealing with a 2 ft. drift blocking the mailbox for about 30 min. That was long enough with a soft 12 mph breeze keeping me from perspireing too much.

The .416 bullets are patching very nicely. I`m using copier paper and push sizing them to .417" with a lick of JPW on the wrap before push sizing. Haven`t shot any yet, can`t find my shooting benches for the snow! I`m using a 20 - 1 alloy, for lack of a better place to start. The .338 PP project is going a bit slower as my old paws don`t want to listen to my mind telling what to do! The few that come together and look like they should are keeping my interest alive to do this. I made them with the same 20 - 1 alloy. Wrapped they weigh 248 gr. I have some loaded up with 37 gr. IMR-3031 for a start load in my .338/06, I`ll play with the .338 Win. Mag. later on. So actual range results will be on hold till late March or for sure April when the warmer air is more common.Robert

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123