RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old square can of 2400

Boolit Master

Old square can of 2400

I have an unopned old can (69 to 70s maybe) of 2400. Heard as long as powder isn't opened its probably ok. Thinking about using this for some squib loads in case its gone "proof" so I don't go "poof". Any recommendations, maybe a light 38 special or 45 acp load?

Boolit Master
    I dont think it will be good for either of those mentioned.
    2400 has a much more narrow pressure range that it works well at than say Unique.
    It is not as narrow as say H-110 but still at its best in the higher pressure range of loads.
    I think being in the burn rate suitable for magnum pistol loads it is not at all suited to either cartridges you mention.
    It will be far better mated to things like the 357 mag case, 44 mag case, and even the 45 colt in some revolvers. It will likely do its best at loads starting at about 75% of max and going up to max.
    It seems to be a preferred powder for reduced rifle loads, but in some larger size cases may require a filler for uniform ignition.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master

A bit of testing should confirm it's condition. I would find one of your known loads using 2400 and load up a few and compare them to some newer powder. If you have a chronograph it would be easy to see what it is doing. I would think that if the stuff was stored in an area not exposed to high temperatures, that it should be just fine. The can is desirable by a few collectors.

I have one of the small 13oz. square cans of Unique and the price tag was $2.79.
    Last edited by HamGunner; 10-29-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

That could be some dangerous stuff there. Suggest you send it to me immediately - I'm almost out of the 2400 I bought back in 74

Boolit Master
    I'm using an old square can of it right now. 20.0 grains with a 180 LEE in my 30.06.
    It'll be fine. Mi powder has no smell at all to it.

I have two of them with prices as low as $1.75 on them. It works just fine. I don't like 2400 in handgun cartridges, but use it as a rifle/cast bullet propellant, mostly in the 30-30. There, 16.0 with the Lee GC170F is a mighty fine load.

I'm having good luck using 10 grains of square can 2400 in a .223. It gives me around 2,000fps with a 55-grain boolit.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

I delivered a load of freight to Hercules when they were in Kenevil NJ and they had a drum of Unique from the first batch made in the 1800's. They stored this drum in an airtight container under water! From time to time they told me they would take a sample from the original drum and test it against the lot they were running at the time. The original powder ALWAYS tested from 96% to exactly same energy as their present production run! If a powder more than 100 years old that's been stored properly still gives energy levels well within the tolerences for newly manufactured powder, why shouldn't we expect a PROPERLY stored canister 30-40 years old to be good? I wonder if the newest lots being manufactured in Radford VA. by Alliant will carry on that quality and tradition? I certainly hope so!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to go with those who take the storage aspect of it.

If it was stored cool, dry, and consistent, it should be fine. If it was stored in a wet environment, somewhere with a wide range of temperature fluctuations, or opened,
    It's toast.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    It was THE powder for .22 Hornet for a long time- Supposedly developed for the cartridge.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Quote Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
    I delivered a load of freight to Hercules when they were in Kenevil NJ
    Two friends of mine used to work there. One is dead now. The other one picked the right day to call in sick from a hangover. They've blown up parts of that place a couple of times. the original M-16 powder was one of the bad ones. I've been told that the powder was such a problem to make in commercial quantities, that the military changed the gun slightly to accept a slightly different powder that they could produce. I am also told that the bad rep the M-16 got early on about not feeding properly was often due to an original M-16 being fed the ammo for the A1 variant. At least that is what I was told.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    Made for the hornet true but it became the powder for Elmers baby.
    Ha! I got an unopened 5# Red tin can. Gloat, gloat, gloat!!!
    BIC/BS

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bert2368 View Post
    It was THE powder for .22 Hornet for a long time- Supposedly developed for the cartridge.

IIRC that was the reason it was called 2400. It was the velocity achieved with the hornet.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

It was THE powder for the Hornet not because it was the best, but because it was the ONLY.

Today, the warning against using old load data is just as true for the Hornet as for Saint Elmer's concoctions - don't. The ONLY Hornet case I ever had blow the primer completely out and shoot gas into my face was that classic 10.0 2400 load. It is NOT safe with today's components.

Yup, if it skeers you send it to me, still shooting 2400 from the early 70's Just my humble opinion....
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master

Smellit. if it`s bad you`ll know it !! What does the inside of the can look like ??? Rusty??? pitted??? or nice & clean???
    GP100man

Boolit Mold
    sheepdog, Shoot the powder and sell the can. I was at a gun show in Columbus, Oh and the empty can's were priced at $25.00 each in good shape.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JDBrowning View Post
    sheepdog, Shoot the powder and sell the can. I was at a gun show in Columbus, Oh and the empty can's were priced at $25.00 each in good shape.
    Think I'll save it unopened and try to sell it for $75 ($25 for the can, $25 for the powder, $25 for being unopened).

stephen perry

2400 powder

My dad loaded 2400 in 30 carbine with 115 grn Lyman 311359. I shot a mess of them.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Boolit Buddy

old 2400

The only time I ever loaded ammo that turned out to be too hot was with an old batch of 2400. I wanted to load some 357 Mag with 180 gr Hornady and selected a starting load per the Hornady book. The Lil Dandy rotor that was supposed to throw that weight turned out to throw about 2 grains light. HMmm, that should have been a red flag. I had to go up two rotors to obtain the suggested starting weight. These were weighed charges that I checked and double checked because of the discrepancy. I fired off six of these, opened the cylinder to eject but they wouldn't budge. I had to tap repeatedly on the ejector rod (Ruger 161) with a piece of wood before they would eject. Lesson learned in these quarters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast