Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Savage 16 FSS first test, Wow!

Boolit Buddy

Savage 16 FSS first test, Wow!

I wanted a sporter weight cast boolit rifle. Lee's 312-185R worked good in a 26" Win 94 30-30 so I decided on a bolt gun in .308. I wanted a Stevens 200 but found a Savage 16 FSS, it's a stainless steel sporter weight with an AccuTrigger. The stock fit too tight around the barrel and tang so I opened that up some, lubed the AccuTrigger that was already set to minimum, installed Weaver bases, Burris Signature tall rings (plastic insert) and an old Simmons 6.5x20 44 mag scope.

Off to the range with 312-185R, gas checked, Alox lubed, seated so the gas check mouth is just inside the base of the neck. The lead was range lead, the cases were range pick up RP but really clean and FL sized. Charge was 16 gr of 2400 and 27.0 of Varget. Distance was 100 yards.

This is group one.

YES!

This is group three.

More YES!

The 27 gr of Varget loads were just a bit less accurate but left gravel of hard soot in the barrel, it actually prevented seating rounds until cleaned out. 27 gr isn't enough Varget.

Velocities were around 1580 fps for 16.0 gr of 2400 and 1630 fps for 27.0 gr of Varget. Primers looked the same, mild but not too light, for both loads.

The one in five flyers were my fault, I'm really rusty and unsteady on the bags and out of practice in getting a consistent hold. Yes, hold does matter a lot with a tupperware Savage stock but probably not as much as on my HS Precision stocked Remingtons.

Savage comments: Build quality is first rate on this Savage rifle. Savage does do things that keep the cost down but they are more in the line of brilliant design as opposed to cheap.

Next is to re-learn how to hold and shoot a rifle again. A part of that is to get a stable base for the rear bag. I'm putting it on a too squishy base bag because the edges of the rear bag are rolled under and act like little rollers under it. Another thing is to actually use the same bag positions under the stock all the time. Today the front bag was under the front bell of the scope and the rear bag was under the sling stud (removed) hole.

The AccuTrigger, after lubing, is a dandy hunting trigger. And this rifle will be used for hunting (just a few months till bee season).

Well, that's my story and I'm stick'n too it.

In Remembrance

Look'in good. I love my Savages.

Boolit Master

Savage is good!
    I had an 110 in 30-06 a while back.
    A daggoned good rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    This is my first Savage in the 110/10 action series and it's just great.

I did have two Savage 340's in .222, both were very accurate but shot the first shot out of the group.

By the way, this 16 FSS got no leading during the shooting and no copper from the gas checks. The barrel cleaned up very easily

Boolit Master
    Great groups ..........

....... in fact so good that you hit a "home run" with the "first pitch" and there is no challenge left ............ LOL!!

Three 44s

My Savage 111 is in 338 Win Mag. With Sierra 210 gr and Hornady 225 gr bullets I get sub- one-inch 100 yd groups. I have been trying to get the 200 gr Lee GC cast to shoot, but so far the results are poor. Overall, I love the rifle. It is a bit much to shoot a lot, so I will continue work on the cast load project.
    Yes, the quality is pretty great, although the detachable box magazine broke one of its retaining clips within the first 50 rds. Fortunately I had already got a spare, and Savage replaced the broken one, so it has all worked out. BTW, if you want an extra mag, shop around ! I have seen them for as much as $61 at Brownells. I got mine for $31 on GB...
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

Boolit Master
    Savage has sure made a big comeback. You never hear of a dog these days, all good shooters. My M40 Hornet is barely broke in and shoots real good. How do they do it?

Banned

Savage has always been a sleeper. Some needed a little bedding work is all. The new ones with the new bedding system can compete with most BR rifles.
    Many did not like the barrel nut so they bought something else and lost out on a great gun.
    I have only seen one bad one, the barrel was not in the receiver straight so I had to shim the scope. No sense sending it back, the silly thing shot 1/2" groups with factory loads.

Boolit Master
    I'd like to find a bad gun like that ........ 1/2" with factory.

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    I agree Savage rifles are really good. The accu-trigger has helped them a lot. I have owned several and they all shot well.