Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .475 at 200 yards

Banned

.475 at 200 yards

John came to shoot an original Smith Carbine today. What a super gun from the civil war times.
    I didn't know what to do so I grabbed my BFR .475, set up a target and shot a few shots at 200 yards. The only thing I could find in the recycle bin was a sour cream container to aim at. Bad choice, I could barely see it, like the head of a pin on the moon! It was dark and raining lightly. I just popped off three shots.
    I wish I could see better but I still had a 3-7/8" group. I have to wonder what a good scope would do instead of the Ultra Dot.
    Last edited by 44man; 03-19-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    I wish I could see better but I still had a 3-7/8" group. I have to wonder what a good scope would do instead of the Ultra Dot.[/QUOTE]

I'd bet about 1/2 again smaller. Guessing at the center of the dot can't help. I'd be pretty darn happy to shoot under 4" at 200 yards with many of my rifles.

Banned

Well, I don't really care because the Ultra Dot is deer medicine and the gun season is coming fast.
    I just finished cutting up my second deer so far, one with the ML and this one with my bow.
    I can hardly wait for gun season. Stick a rifle in your ear, nothing more fun then a revolver! Even bow hunting is getting old. I will not even get out of bed anymore. So great to sleep in!

Boolit Master
    Wake up on the wrong side of the rock, Jim? I didn't say anything bad at all, just the opposite.

thats some good shootin ther jim you would be damn scary with a scope i think
    My idea of gun control is a firm grip

Boolit Master
    Nice, that's Bob Munden kind of shooting.

Banned
    Here's my 5-shot group I did today with BFR .475 at 100 yds Creedmore on a soup can. The top right hole is the sight in shot. I moved the windage over 4 clicks on the MatchDot, loaded a new cylinder and emptied it out. 3 shots went into the edge of the can. 2 fliers, one on the left and one bottom right. I need to practice more with the hold and click it more over. Looks to me like each click is 1/2 moa by the pic.

Boolit Grand Master

Definitely a "minute of can" shooter.

Good shooting.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Wake up on the wrong side of the rock, Jim? I didn't say anything bad at all, just the opposite.
    No, I was trying to be funny! It is how I feel about rifles for deer anymore. And since this is the handgun spot, what better place to say it! It was not aimed at any person here, mostly not you Dubber, we are friends.
    And look at the great job Frank is doing, I am really proud of him. He tells me when he is at the range, he drives other shooters away with tight sphincters after they see what he is doing with a revolver!
    He says they look at his target and pack up and leave!
    I think he is ready to tell those at his range to "stick your rifle in your ear" too!
    I get a big smile when any of you shoot good with a handgun.
    Wonderful job Frank!

Banned
    Here's the can for the 45-70, Front and Back.

Last edited by Frank; 10-28-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Show the target

Banned
    44man says
    He tells me when he is at the range, he drives other shooters away with tight sphincters after they see what he is doing with a revolver! He says they look at his target and pack up and leave!
    This is what happened. I got to the range, there are these people there, 2 men and 2 women, blasting away with pistols at 15 yd targets and all "yap, yap, yap". So I sat down at the end. Set-up at 50 yds. They were real nice at first. Real interested in what I was shooting. I reciprocated. Eveybody was happy. I started punching OK groups with the 45-70. I was working up loads for a boolit. My electronic muffs pick up talk. I look over, and the two ladies are looking thru the spotter scope. They were checking out my groups. I can hear one say to the other "Bottom left target, See there." I'm alittle embarrassed. I didn't want the extra attention.

From then on, they all stopped talking to me. No big deal. Everybody's working on their thing, right? But then they all packed up their stuff, alot of stuff and left. I waited for the last one to leave, tried to make eye contact to say Good Bye, and they kept their head lowered. NO GOODBYE! I'm thinking, Is there something that I did? Maybe it was my Deoderant.
    Last edited by Frank; 10-28-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Here's 3 prairre dogs I shot at 140 yds with a 10" Ruger .44 Flattop. (Bullet splash got one... )

Banned

Don't you guys just LOVE it?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks Owin View Post
    Here's 3 prairre dogs I shot at 140 yds with a 10" Ruger .44 Flattop. (Bullet splash got one... )
    VERY NICE! I am so happy to see that. WONDERFUL shooting.

44 man, many thanks. I wish I shot like that all the time but I have to admit that perfect days like that one seem few and far between. You know what I mean! (And I'll bet you would have got all five if you'd been there amigo!)

Boolit Master
    I'd have to live two more lifetimes to shoot another target like this:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...02250009-1.jpg

Nothin' happenin' here that will compare, but my "formula" loads are shooting better than any in my history have ever shot. Way back when, I'd shoot a 50 yard group off af a rest for a .44 mag. and would get 6" or more, now my starting loads are shooting half of that I'd guess. Haven' put the last on paper yet, but I was tickled with the consistency (hit what I aimed at, 4" objects).
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    No, I was trying to be funny! It is how I feel about rifles for deer anymore. And since this is the handgun spot, what better place to say it! It was not aimed at any person here, mostly not you Dubber, we are friends.
    And look at the great job Frank is doing, I am really proud of him. He tells me when he is at the range, he drives other shooters away with tight sphincters after they see what he is doing with a revolver!
    He says they look at his target and pack up and leave!
    I think he is ready to tell those at his range to "stick your rifle in your ear" too!
    I get a big smile when any of you shoot good with a handgun.
    Wonderful job Frank!
    Oh, alright, then. I guess it was me with my head on sideways..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by targetshootr View Post
    I'd have to live two more lifetimes to shoot another target like this:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...02250009-1.jpg
    Another great job but don't sell yourself short. I know you can do it again.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Oh, alright, then. I guess it was me with my head on sideways..
    I am not saying anything about the rifle SHOOTERS, just the rifle itself if your deer hunting is close range. Since some of us are out shooting a lot of deer rifles, the revolver is perfect and you will double the fun of hunting. Then to show up some at the range is just too much fun.
    One time we were at a public range and a guy showed up on the next bench. He asked if he could set a target. He walked out about 10 yards and stick sticks in the ground, stapled on a target. I wondered what he was doing???? He drug out a nice SBH and proceeded to blast away. HOLY SMOKES, he never touched the target. I offered some help with no results. I asked if I could shoot his gun and he handed it to me. I went to my bench, got into Creedmore on it, clicked the proper sight setting on his revolver, filled the gun with my loads and proceeded to poke holes in a plastic gallon water jug at 200 yards. The edge of the trigger guard was sharp and cut my knuckle at every shot so blood was flying but I never missed. I told him what to do but he packed up and left as did 4 rifle shooters on the other side. Some have no sense of humor!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast