Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: homemade lubrisizer

Boolit Master

All of my single stage presses are 7/8-14; don't own anything with the larger opening or a threaded bushing. That option is unnecessary for 95% of reloaders, I'd think.

One thing that I have thought about with this design- how hard (or easy) would it be to damage or bend the unit when mounted on a press- so that it would not function? Say someone leans down on the lube chamber, or other improper or careless methods/scenerios.

Simpler is better, all things considered, but maybe a little extra metal for reinforcement here and there wouldn't hurt, JMO.

I think you have the boolit sizing whipped, and besides needing a catch basin, some method of removing the lube piston to refill the chamber really needs addressed- the idea of using "string" to pull the it back out will not be sufficient once the lube grabs it and it gets all the way to the bottom. In your design, you have the ability to use the threaded rod (like Lyman & RCBS does) to raise or lower it. Are there any better ways?
    USMC 1980-1985

Wow.

all I can say is Wow!

there are some smart Cookies on this forum

Boolit Bub
    how much did those push thru lube sizers that you guys made cost in materials to build and are they easy for an average knowledged lathe/mill operator to build?

mwohlenhaus,
    Sorry it took so long to respond, life has been very busy . I got all of my material from scrap parts or drops from the saw at work. Alot of my parts are recycled from other items that were going in the scrap bin. I think it would be a very good job for you to do . Let me know and I will get drawings together. And a list of materials. I would be happy to help you anyway I can,

LatheRunner

Boolit Master

I would be interested in the drawings and material list also.

I conitnue to follow this thread, because I am very, very intrested in getting one, if you all come together and make it happen. I would be very proud to have something where a bunch of folks, working together came up with a design that benefits us caster. Or at least a list/kit on how we can put one together ourselves.

However, I am a little confuse on how you would lube different cast bullets with different groves in the same caliber? I do not see any adjustment for number of groove rings or spacing of those rings.

Have BAbores 462-465GC design with 3 groove rings. The nose profile is flat. But if I used another design with a rounder nose, thus placing the first groove ring at a different space on the bullet. How will this affect the lubesizer? Could the .462 sizer I got from Bullshop be modified? Or would I to start completely over?

As mentioned before, I am not interested in a full automatic system. In fact would prefer a manual operation by pulling on the handle during resizing have it lube at the same time of pushing my boolit through the die. Meaning if I got to pump the lube into the groove by hand, while am on the up stroke, I am ok with that.

Just was wondering how will this work for bullets of the same caliber, but of different design and profiles?

I like the concept.....just need a little guidance.....not afraid to do things on my own...but a little assistance would be a good thing.

I also, am more interested to use with the standard 14 x 7/8 dies, to use on my rcbs jr.

Thanks JiminPHX, KTM and TommygirlMT, for all the encouragements in regards to this project. I for one am grateful for the excelent personal and professional attitudes.

I've got some improved designs drawn up. I hope to have my next prototype constructed in a few weeks. If it works out well, I'll post pictures.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Thanks Jim...

I am so happy that I finally got a 450 lubrisizer with white label lube and some lee push thru's that I use 45-45-10 with. My bullet lubing is a dream now, besides I spent my budget on the last 5 Mihec molds that I bought and they sure are nice. Amazing talent we have here on the board, you guys keep on keepin on. I'll just read with amazement.
    Oh I gotta say my hat is off to tommygirlmt for the animations.
    Last edited by cptkeybrd; 05-02-2011 at 01:37 AM.
    The best way to cheer oneself is to cheer another....Mark Twain.......
    "IF YOU CAN'T GO SHOOTIN GO FISHIN"...
    >)))))}•> .....>)))•>

For the most part, this design seems alright. I've just got 3 issues left to deal with.

First, I need to shorten up a few parts a little bit so that I'll have room for longer rifle boolits. I had forgotten to take into account that my press has less than 4" of stroke. That shouldn't be any big deal to take care of.

Second, I need to stretch out the rectangular body block another 1/2" to make room for a heater cartridge. No big deal there either.

The third issue is a little tougher to tackle. I designed this thing to use standard Lyman style sizing dies. I'm having a problem when I try to stuff several boolits through the die, one on top of the other. The small diameter section of the die is pretty long & the pile of boolits sitting under tension puts up enough resistance to crunch the boolits at the bottom of the pile. This thing is turning my round nose boolits into RNFPs. It's also squishing down the boolits enough to increase the length of their bearing surface. I could modify the die on my lathe & everything would work out OK, but I don't want to do that. I want to end up with a design that works well with plain old standard dies that are off the shelf anywhere you look for them. I'll need to ponder that a little more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MyLubeSizer.JPG  
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Well, I am glad this thread has not faded away. We sure to have talented folks here.

Jim, it looks like you have gone into a different direction. I like the idea that you are using the simple little 'C' press from Lee. I have one also besides Lee's classic cast turret. I use the little press to size my .462-465 GC bullets from Bruces mold, using Buckshots excellent sizer (simliar to Lee's push thru dies), with great results.

I was hoping that you or KTN would be going in that direction and I was also hoping that someone one could design one with out having to use a heater. But instead, just a softer lube that could be squished between the grooves, as the bullet was being sized with a Buckshots sizer die.

If you have mutiple bullets of the same diameter but with different lube grooves locations, how is that going to work with yours or KTN's or anyone elses lubesizer? Is this unrealistic, will a person need to purchase a lubesizer for evey boolit style? Seems silly.

I am not a machinist or an engineer, so I do not know all the technicals 'stuff'.

Just wondering why it is so hard to to take a LEE sizer die, drill a hole on the side, mount the lube resouvoir with a plunger and call it good.

There has got to be away to keep things simple, with out having to add a heater on top of all that.

So, JIMinPHX, KTM, Tommygirl, or anyone else, could you weigh in on this, and explain to me in simple caveman terms, how this would work?

I like the concept of screwing in a unit on top of a standard 7/8 x 14 thread single stage press and to be able to size and lube, using a push thru system like lee's. Now the question is....can it be done? and can it be made affordable? and can the concept be kept as simple as possible?

Lonerider

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    Just wondering why it is so hard to to take a LEE sizer die, drill a hole on the side, mount the lube resouvoir with a plunger and call it good.
    So, JIMinPHX, KTM, Tommygirl, or anyone else, could you weigh in on this, and explain to me in simple caveman terms, how this would work?

I like the concept of screwing in a unit on top of a standard 7/8 x 14 thread single stage press and to be able to size and lube, using a push thru system like lee's. Now the question is....can it be done? and can it be made affordable? and can the concept be kept as simple as possible?

Lonerider
    Yes it is possible to drill a hole in the side of a Lee sizer & attach a lubing gizmo. It just requires that you drill the hole & not screw up the polished center bore. I thought about going in that direction & including a drill jig with the unit, but instead, I decided to flip a Lyman die upside down &make it into a push through.

Can it be done? - yes.
    Can it be made affordable? - I'm working on it. My target price is $125-$150. I'm not there yet.
    Can it be kept simple? - I'm working on simplifying it. I've already gotten rid of a few unnecessary features, but I'm probably not done there yet either.

The unit in the picture is just a prototype. I intended to make an adjustable ram out of a piece of thread rod. It would be adjustable in length & have different tips for different calibers.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Thanks Jim, don't mean to ruffle any feathers. I admire you and all on CB that have the talent and abilities to create 'stuff'. Sadly, I am not wired that way. I sure do enjoy tearing things apart to see what makes them tic.....its putting them back together, is where I get into trouble.

The thing I like about Castboolits is the independence as well as willing to help out a fellow member with their projects also....even if they are some waht similiar. Its the family friendly and willing to help each other with no strings attached atmosphere that I like.

For instance, this Gary Fryxell. I do not know him, but his willingness to provide a casting resource for the members here, free of charge, is huge to me.

I have also found that other members that make their products available here, treat us with upmost respect and are very fair in their dealing with other members. This is also huge.

I suspect, with the membership as big as Castboolits, there are more than one way 'to skin a cat'. Which for us that are mechanically challenged or do not have the resources to hire others, benefit from the cooperations of the various venders.

I tip my hat to all of you and say thank you, to all of those than make Castboolits what it is. An atttiude of, ' Lets make things better, improve what we have, and pass onto others, our experiences.

Haven't heard from KTN or tommygirl lately....is their project put on hold?

Lonerider

Boolit Buddy
    I want to see the outcome.

Banned

That's a great statement and point of view Lonerider. Many newcomers to CB could do well by taking a note of what you write. Sadly there are those who just do not get it.

Thanks for posting your progress Jim. It shows some folks who have no idea just how much work is truly involved in developing a product.

Thanks Jim, don't mean to ruffle any feathers. I admire you and all on CB that have the talent and abilities to create 'stuff'. Sadly, I am not wired that way. I sure do enjoy tearing things apart to see what makes them tic.....its putting them back together, is where I get into trouble.

The thing I like about Castboolits is the independence as well as willing to help out a fellow member with their projects also....even if they are some waht similiar. Its the family friendly and willing to help each other with no strings attached atmosphere that I like.

For instance, this Gary Fryxell. I do not know him, but his willingness to provide a casting resource for the members here, free of charge, is huge to me.

I have also found that other members that make their products available here, treat us with upmost respect and are very fair in their dealing with other members. This is also huge.

I suspect, with the membership as big as Castboolits, there are more than one way 'to skin a cat'. Which for us that are mechanically challenged or do not have the resources to hire others, benefit from the cooperations of the various venders.

I tip my hat to all of you and say thank you, to all of those than make Castboolits what it is. An atttiude of, ' Lets make things better, improve what we have, and pass onto others, our experiences.

Haven't heard from KTN or tommygirl lately....is their project put on hold?

Lonerider

Thanks Jim, don't mean to ruffle any feathers.
    No feathers were ruffled. Sorry if my response gave you that impression.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

I suspect, with the membership as big as Castboolits, there are more than one way 'to skin a cat'.
    That's one reason why I usually try not to look at too much that other people have done before scratching out a new design of my own. If I look at what others have already done, it may sway me towards only refining an existing design & prevent me from coming up with new ideas.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

If you have mutiple bullets of the same diameter but with different lube grooves locations, how is that going to work with yours or KTN's or anyone elses lubesizer?
    This would be one option
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AdjustableRam.JPG   AdjustableRam2.JPG  
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

Lonerider right on - "more than one way to skin a cat" . Otherwise we'd all be just using George Herter's "Perfect" tools, no need for them stinkin, blue, red,green machines all over the place !

I have only used a Lee sizer to date, but have many molds now, very interested in this sizer project that may only cost half of a Star.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast