MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Uberti 1885 Hiwall 45-70 load.

Boolit Master

Uberti 1885 Hiwall 45-70 load.

Just for your information. I went to the range today and took along my 45-70. I switched to smokeless powder here a few weeks ago. It likes IMR 4198 powder. I'm shooting a Government bullets cast with ww's +2% tin. The powder charge is 31 grains and a col of 2.810.
    Velocity is as follows.
    Lo 1333
    Hi 1384
    Ave 1362
    es 50.94
    sd 20.32
    Jack

Boolit Master

The numbers look OK. Now, for the next important test. Accuracy and leading?

In Remembrance
    Just for comparison...

I haven't been using my Chrony much, lately, so I don't have any recent results.
    When I do use it, I don't care much about velocity. My goal is to get the load consistent enough to produce single-digit ES and SD numbers.
    The only bullet I did extensive work on while using the Chrony was a 560 grain PJ Creedmoor in my 45/90 loads.
    The best results extracted from that series of notes looks like this...

79 grains Goex Cartridge:
    1.4" X 1.75" group with impact centered, and 2 inches high. No discernable flyer.

Chrony: LO-1161, Hi-1171, Av-1167, ES-9.78, SD-4.00

Performance similar to previous results with this load.

82 grains Goex Cartridge:
    Fairly compact 2" X 1.8" group with one (hi) flyer, impact centered and 2 inches high.

Chrony: LO-1182, Hi-1193, Av-1190, ES-10.50, SD-4.79

Useful load, may shoot better after matching globe insert to bullseye diameter.

I never had access to a chronograph back when I was loading ammunition with smokeless powders. I don't even know if ES and SD numbers in the single-digit range is possible with them.
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 03-24-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

I don't get any leading. The accuracy is acceptable for me. I switched the front insert from a circle target aperature to a post for hunting. I figured I may want to shoot a deer with it this year. After adjusting the rear sight, the rifle shot the last 3 shot group with me holding the forend on the bags into the 2" bull at 100 yards. According to the ballistic calculator, it drops 21" at 200 yards. I can deal with that.
    Jack

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    According to the ballistic calculator, it drops 21" at 200 yards. I can deal with that.
    At the muzzle velocity you posted, I would expect to need an elevation increase of about 11 points (11 inches) above the 100 yard zero.

I only say this to encourage you to try it at 200 before you 'set it and forget it' based on the calculator's estimate.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    I never had access to a chronograph back when I was loading ammunition with smokeless powders. I don't even know if ES and SD numbers in the single-digit range is possible with them.
    I believe you can get pretty close. The other day I was sitting beside a guy shooting .308 with really hot loads (he popped a couple of primers!). He was getting ES in the 12 to 15fps, which I'd never heard of with smokeless. But then what do I know. He was shooting 3 shot clover leafs at 200 yards.

When I use the chrony with smokeless, it's mostly to check that something isn't seriously wrong with the load pressure wise. I had an issue like that once with reloder7 where I had max vel at the starting charge.

Chris.

Boolit Master

The last loads that I sited at 100 yards and then shot at 200 yards using the ballistic calculator, worked very well. They were of the black powder kind. The calculator was within a couple inches on its POI of the bullets. I will still go out and practice more befor this season. I will know what that 520 grainer is doing out to the 200 mark.

When I loaded the rounds, I did NOT weigh each powder charge as I normally do. The IMR 4198 does hang up in the RCBS Uniflow meter. I DID all of the charges the same way. Up, two taps, down without hangup, then botton out with two taps. I don't pay much attention to the es and sd in my loads. I am not shooting in competition and do not think it is necessary in my case.
    Jack

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    The last loads that I sited at 100 yards and then shot at 200 yards using the ballistic calculator, worked very well. They were of the black powder kind. The calculator was within a couple inches on its POI of the bullets. I will still go out and practice more befor this season. I will know what that 520 grainer is doing out to the 200 mark.

When I loaded the rounds, I did NOT weigh each powder charge as I normally do. The IMR 4198 does hang up in the RCBS Uniflow meter. I DID all of the charges the same way. Up, two taps, down without hangup, then botton out with two taps. I don't pay much attention to the es and sd in my loads. I am not shooting in competition and do not think it is necessary in my case.
    Jack
    Just curious. What ballistics calculator did you use and what did you use for a BC for your bullet?

thanks,

Chris.

Boolit Master

I went over to the Handloads.com site. At the top of the page it says ballistic calc. I used .400 for the BC, as It is listed in one of my books.
    Jack