Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Detonics pistol at the gun show

Boolit Bub

Detonics pistol at the gun show

I traded into a Detonics CombatMaster mini .45 today. I have not been able to find much info on the net about the gun and its origins.

The serial # is in the 2### range and is marked Detonics Seattle Washington. This is on the right side of the frame and the only markings on the gun. There are no marks of any kind on the slide or the barrel.

I found reference to the MK1 that the slides were Essex and if I read it right, not marked.

Can anyone confirm this? The slide is pure Detonics: scalloped ejection port, flat dished out top of slide with the rear sight about an inch ahead of the traditional location.

It is not 100% as there is a rubber coated flat mainspring housing and an extended slide release. Probably a different triggeras well.

Any info would be appreciated.

Jeff

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I remember a friend of mine and fellow officer who carried a Detonics 45 in the 70's. He was making a arrest and 3 males jumped him and killed him with it. Jim was 6ft 11in and felt he did not need to draw his weapon to cover just three males. I know that this does not help you but every time I see the gun talked about it brings these memories back.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    I had one of the early ones left to me by my father. I hated the little monster! The grip was cut off at the right location to gouge my palm each time it was shot. traded it off for a Contender, never looked back.

In Remebrance

Find some copies of "The Survivalist" by Jerry Ahern. The protagonist (who is near super human anyway) carries Detonics guns exclusively. If it's good enough for John Rourke it's GOT to be good.....

Boolit Master

A friend owned one in the time before Colt OMs and never reported any problems with it.

To add to Bret's post, I know nothing of Ahern's novels, but I do believe that the original Sonny Crockett (the TV show version) carried one as a backup to his early Bren 10.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

If anyone has one NIB or LNIB condition, please PM me. I'm buyin' if the price is right....

TDC
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations....You have scored a classic collector's piece.
    Love to see a pic

Boolit Buddy
    sorry double tap.....
    ....more excited than I thought I guess
    Last edited by redgum; 10-26-2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: dbl tap

Banned

I had one years ago and to be honest it and the others ive shot werent all that reliable. Nothing like one of the newer 3 inch 1911s. Ive had two kimbers now that NEVER missed a beat and are a whole bunch lighter. Cool gun though for the nostangia. I kind of wish i would have held on to mine.

Groo here
    I have a pair of MKIV combat masters.
    They are not a fun gun and like many cutdown guns you need to find what they like
    for ammo.
    That being said, both mine shoot FMJ well and make Reeaall small groups..

Boolit Master

That rubber covered main spring housing could be original. The last one I had had one.

It was dead reliable, but incredibly inaccurate. Does you serial # start with CR? Mine was built by a guy at the factory for himself and he put EAM after the CR for a serial number. Enjoy.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Bub
    There is no prefix on the serial #. The number itself is stamped in 2 places on the right side of the frame. I am going to try and download some pics after I get a new memory card.

Boolit Bub
    Here is a shot of the gun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1311.jpg  

Boolit Master

Ahh. I see. Blued. The stainless ones started with "CR"

I agree, I would say the mainspring housing, thumb safety and slide lock are not original.

Nice piece. Have fun!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Slide release is not original either. Sighs are not original either. Grips are not original either. If the mainspring housing is a rubber pachmyer unit it is original. Looks like the guide rod might not be either but cannot tell from this angle. Nice gun though. I have an original Seattle gun, a nickel one. They are very fun to shoot but I cannot use a high thumb hold on them without pain to the web of my thumb and index finger.

Boolit Mold
    I agree with the other posters that it's not 100% original. I had one, but traded it off, mostly because of ergonomics issues.

With 1911's my routine is to rest my thumb on top of the safety. This serves three purposes; one - to assure safety disengagement, two - keeps my long thumb away from the magazine release and three - the high thumb grip brings the muzzle up for me. Otherwise, non-arched (flat) mainspring housing 1911s tend to point low for me. I only shot it ONCE with thumb high because of "slide bite."

Mine functioned well and was reasonably accurate. It had a short, smooth and light trigger pull... so much so, that I was always concerned with the possibility of an accidental discharge under stress. It defined the logic of, "Keep your finger off the trigger..." It's been a long time since I owned it, but I seem to recall that because of the short slide there wasen't enough travel distance to use a regular single coil recoil spring and Detonics used a double recoil spring arrangement which was prone to wear. Finding replacements may be difficult, but I think Detonics tried to "reopen" for business a couple of years ago. I am not sure if they made it or not. Either way, there may be OEM parts like spare recoil springs, magazines, etc. available if you do some searching. Also, finding a holster to fit is a bit challenging because of the placement of the rear sight, but compact 1911 holsters can be modified by a bit of careful carving.

The Detonics CM represents a significant, historical advancement in compact semi-auto pistol design. Detonics basically showed the industry that a functional, cut down 1911 could be made. The engineering and manufacturing were well done. IMHO it rates right up there with the ASP cut down S&W M-39s. Detonics and ASP basically showed the major manufacturers that there was a viable market for compact pistols beyond .22s, .25s and .380s.

I hope the Detonics works for you. It's got a huge cool factor.