Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Beretta Double rifle in 45.70 elko mag

Boolit Grand Master

Beretta Double rifle in 45.70 elko mag

Bought this as a 45-70 double rifle, but it says 45.70 elko mag on the barrel. Wonder if someone rechambered a 45-70. I am going to guess that it is close to a 45-100 instead. Anyone have any info on this cartridge?

Boolit Master
    If anybody can help you these guys can:
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...rm/f/760101804

But I suspect you will have to make a chamber cast to make sure of what you have.

Boolit Grand Master
    Anybody heard of this caliber? Googled it , but can't find anything

Boolit Master
    Sounds like it could be a double made from a shotgun which is pretty common. If that is the case Elko Mag could be the name of the smith or shop doing the conversion. I'm just guessing here but one thing for certain is a chamber cast is going to be required.

Those stampings sure doesn't look like they were made by Beretta, and the proof marks are not Italian either. From the look of the stock & grip the gun could be from the fifties. Any stampings on the receiver?
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Grand Master
    No, but I did get some information from a Double Rifle site that Elko Arms was an outfit that converted Beretta shotguns to double rifles and there is a Guns article in the Sept '95 issue about the Elko mag cartridge. Chamber length (rough measure) makes me think it is a 45-100, as case length is about 2.6".
    See if I can find my cerrosafe this morning (in MY shop, yeah right!!)

Did a chamber cast. Looks like it is a 45-100 Sharps. 2.6" long and .500" base. Chamber was 2.615" long, but that would give a little case stretch room.
    Last edited by rockrat; 10-25-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added data

Boolit Master
    If you havent played with a double before make sure you get your chrono out. They are a godsend when trying to determine what load the rifle was originally regulated for.

Boolit Master
    Found this:

http://www.intermin.fi/intermin/images.nsf/files/6D0F8F9F5CE9AD46C2256FBE00302CC4/$file/LAIPPA+II+haku+02.pdf

You'll find it way down towards the end.

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master
    Got a copy of the case dimensions. Appears to be nearly identical to the 45-100 Sharps.

It is a standard european caliber

CIP lists a Pmax pressure at 2950 bar for this round compared to 2200 bar for the 45-70 gov.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks. Its stamped on the barrels, but hard to tell if it was a 9 or a 0. 42K psi. Should make for some stout loads if I want to go that high

Boolit Master
    Finding the load this rifle was regulated with will be a fun challenge. You may get lucky along the way and find a cast boolit at a reduced velocity that works as well.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Boolit Grand Master
    Been working with it. Unfortunately, I don't know the factory ammo specs. What gr. bullet at what velocity. Been running 405 remmys at nearly 1900 fps (Ow), but it also likes a 425RD at around 1550fps and that shoots about 1" high @50yds.. Gun isn't very heavy, so I think I will save the heavy loads for hunting.

Boolit Master
    It can be a real art form to find a load that regulates well for a specific double. Small changes in velocity can cause the bullets to either spread further out or come closer together.
    Those guys over at the AR forum (double section) can be a wealth of good information. Certain powders work better with certain bullets in different rifles, etc. Also, a chronograph is really needed for best results.
    Good luck.

.45-70 Elko Magnum Specs

Hope its okay I revive this old thread.. I was doing some Google searches and found the link to this post and thought I would share some info if anyone else stumbled across it..

The .45-70 Elko Magnum is an actual cartridge that is certified by the CIP in Europe (Their version of SAAMI). Uses a .45 Caliber projectile, and pressure maxes out about 42,700 psi (295 MPa). You can find all the specs at cip-bobp.org.

Just thought I'd share if it helps anyone out.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks BulletBlog.
    Interesting topic on another forum as I have a Beretta .45-70 and was considering extending it to 45-90 as I have another rifle in that caliber.

The pressure rating of 42,700 psi is similar to that of my .405 double rifle and that is plenty to take really big game.

Boolit Grand Master
    You might have to still use loads about 45-70 levels as when I started to try and get higher perfomance out of the rifle, the barrels would start printing farther apart. If I used 45-70 loads, things were OK