Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data

Thread: RCBS Lube-O-Matic 2...

Boolit Master

Question RCBS Lube-O-Matic 2...

A half-dozen years or so ago I purchased an RCBS Lube-O-Matic 2 with great hopes of using it as advertised—I couldn’t get that dang thing to work at all!!!

Well I seem to have developed a few more patience in that amount of time and I just messed with it for 30 minutes and it is working quite well!!!

My questions:

1. How often do you turn the plunger screw to put pressure on the lube? A bit of a turn with every boolit that is lubed?

2. And, I have always used Liquid Alox and now I will be using stick lubes. I know this is subjective, but are the stick lubes any better than the Liquid Alox? The 45-270-SAA sure look much nicer with the lube grooves full as opposed to the Alox all over the entire boolit…

Thanks…

BCB

I have the same lubrisizer. I do a partial turn here and there to keep pressure built up. That seems to work for me. YMMV. I use white label lube companies BAC lube on my pistol boolits and it flows well without a heater.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Moderator Emeritus
    Glad you got it working as they are fine lubesizers.

I give it tweak for each boolit or three, you want just enough to fill the lube grooves all round.

I'll usually get 2-3 boolits lubed to each tweak say an eighth of turn each time.

Liquid Alox or Xlox is OK for lower velocity, say up to 1200 fps, but stick lube is more reliable for faster velocities.

I use Xlox a lot for sub sonic rifle loads which I shoot a lot of.

I'm also a fan of white Label lubes and I've used a lot of different lube makes over the years as well as making my own.

White Label is up there with the best at a price that cannot be beat.

Experiment and you will find the technique that suits you.

All lubes are dependant on good boolit fit to get the best from them.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

BCB---If you are old enough to remember Brylcreem ads--a little dab will do you--that's how you operate the RCBS luber. Hold firm pressure on the handle while the bullet is down. Not handle bending pressure but firm. Then every so slightly add a touch of pressure. If you don't hold the handle down firmly you get lube on the base. The RCBS luber and Lyman are the same in principle but the RCBS seems to hold pressure better---you may not have to apply pressure on every bullet. Especially with smaller bullets, I get a few in between giving that slight bit of pressure. I like the ratchet style of the old RCBS and what Lyman uses. For that reason my RCBS was modified to accept the ratchet--requires a hex be milled on top of the bolt.

Boolit Master

carpetman—yep, I am old enough to remember Brylcreme “hair styling grease!” If you put your fingers in your hair during school days and then touched your yellow writing paper, it was smudge city! I preferred Vitalis—easier to apply plus it smelled better, yet still provided the impressive grease smudge! Now to the serious side of this post. I can see where the ratchet system would give a better “feel” for the amount of pressure being applied…

According to the other posts, it appears I am getting the method O.K. I do about 1/8th turn and the size a few. Seems to work fine. I don’t know why in the heck I couldn’t get this thing working years ago—must be the patience I have learned from reading post on this website…

Now to the White Label Lube. I was going through all of my lube sticks that I purchased years ago when I was going to use the Lube-O-Matic and I see that I have some samples of White Label Lube. I think they were sent to me when I ordered a mold from NEI. I got an inch-length sample of Carnauba Red and BAC Lube *** Special Blend. Guess I will give them a try when all of the RCBS lube is out of the Lube-O-Matic…

I remain baffled as to why I couldn’t get it to work in the beginning!!! I had to go half-way around the world (UK) to get some of the help!!!...

Thanks and keep the replies comin’…

BCB

Boolit Master

I have given up the liquid lube completley.

I can recomend the White Label lubes completley.

And the Lube-O-Matic is the way to go, at least for me. Carry on!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

In Remembrance

How much to turn the crank is very varible depending in the numher and size/depth of the lube grooves. The 22's take very little and rhe 420 gr. 45's take a lot more. You just have to experiment to find what's needed.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The BAC is the best all around pistol lube which is half Carnuba Red. I use Carnuba Red for high velocity handgun and rifle bullets. The red will need a heater to flow well. Mount your RCBS on a 1/2 in plate of aluminum that is large enough to also hold a travel iron. The travel iron is smaller and the temp seems to be more accurate. Find the setting that allows the flow and lube away.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

I was concidering ordering some BAC if I get some better results with this stick lube over the liquid Alox--although, I have had pretty good success with the Alox. I have RCBS stick already in the press so that is what I used--sort of as an experiment to see if I can get the Lube-O-Matic to perform--seems I can...

I also do have a heater for this luber. It is a Midway one and it works well. As I said, I started out with the best of intentions in the beginning!!! Now maybe some years down the road I can get it to work as it supposed to do...

BCB

Boolit Master

Seems that I heard that Brylcream had other uses, as well...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

luber

cabin tree makes unit for the lyman that spring loads its $45.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Grand Master

I think you will find that 'real' lube is more forgiving and works over a wider range
    of conditions, alloy and fit than the Lee mule snot.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I have an rcbs luber sizer with the sliding bar on top instead of the ratchet and have built up a feel for the pressure.I just give it a little bit of a turn every couple 3 boolits and feel for the pressure to ramp up.Im guessing you can do it with the ratchet also...just a feel you get after a few hundred boolits...Robin

Boolit Master

I had a problem with mine keeping the O ring in the groove so I replace itwith a 1"cupped wheel seal, it holds pressure better and nothing gets by the seal to clean up when I have to add a stick of lube. I turn mine about every three-10 bullet depending on the size of the bullet and only about 1/8-1/4 of a turn.

Boolit Mold
    i have a r c b s lubesizer2 and it gets cool in my basement so i put a 50 watt bulb beside it to heat the lube to start .i find the heaters you canot control and it gets messey.