WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: wanting to take the plunge....

Boolit Buddy

wanting to take the plunge....

but I need some suggestions on which pot to get. I have been reloading for a while now and would like to go all the way to casting my own. There is no question as to whether I would like it or not, just a matter of making room for it. I think I want a bottom pour pot, but I'm not sure. From everything I have read, I don't want a lee but I don't want to have to sell my left kidney to get started casting. I also don't want to get something undersized that I won't be happy with. I was thinking a 10lb bottom pour of some kind. Any suggestions? do I even want a bottom pour?

Thanks,
    Matt

Boolit Buddy

OK, rather than sell a kidney....

Why not keep it real simple and start with just a pot and ladle? Maybe you already have a BBQ grill with a side burner, or you could pick up a hotplate or campstove really cheap at a yard sale, etc. This would definitely be the most economical method of starting out, and would allow you to learn all the little "quirks and adjustments" of casting before having a lot of money invested. Many on this forum use nothing but a ladle; for that matter, I still remember my uncle teaching me to "run ball" over an open fire when I was a young boy.

If you feel the need for a bottom-pour, then you're needing production capability that also requires the more expensive 4-6 cavity molds or two or more identical molds to take advantage of it. What I'm trying to say is, if you want a bottom-pour, then get it for the production capability, not because you think it will provide better results.

I have both the 10 and 20 pound Lee bottom pours, and I also have the RCBS Promelt. They all get the job done. You can find many threads here concerning the pros and cons of all the different pots, so I will not comment on that. But I will state that at least 50% of my casting is still done with a ladle.

BTW, welcome to the madness. You will soon find that even though $$ may be an issue now, once you become addicted to this that left kidney won't seem as important anymore!

Fish fryer burner, cast iron skillet, ladle. It can be that simple. You'll still need flux, a lube/size machine, and bullet lube.

Molds will cost you more than anything else.
    Machinists do it with precision.

Moderator Emeritus
    A little bit more information would be helpfull.

What calibre and weight boolits will you be casting?

What will you be using them for, rifle, pistol, ML?

What alloy(s)?

What velocities will they be shot at?

How many of each boolit you intend to cast for will you need a month say?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Banned

i too would recomend you start with a ladle pot. Learn how to cast and see how much you like doing it and when you buck up for a bottom pour get a better one like a lyman or rcbs.

In Remebrance

Any open coil hot plate of 1000-1100 or more watts will work fine as a heat source and even an old sauce pan (steel) will work for a pot. Try the ladle first, then consider a BP. Personally I hate Lee's pots, but many, many other people adore them. THere are lots of options out there, but I would start cheap and make sure I liked it before sinking a bunch of money into anything.

Boolit Master
    look for an older lyman 20 lb pot used, or an rcbs used...if no luck...spend the cash for new.

silly to go with a a 10 lb pot. on of the issues with uniformity is a constant temp, easier with a 20 lb pot than with a 10.

i have never done laddle pour, tho i own one. for any kind of volume..with 6 gang molds...bottom pour is the way to go.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Grand Master

For starting out without a large financial investment the ladle is the only way to go. I started that way and have never gotten a bottom pour. I also cast some large boolits that almost everyone says are problematic with the bottom pours, so I will use the ladle anyway.

I use an old 2 burner Coleman propane stove with a 20lb bottle feeding it. It's about covered with lead splatter, but it works fine. I use a cast iron 20 lb pot and a couple of steel 1qt kitchen pots to melt the lead. This way I can keep several alloy mixes going with out changing anything. One of the kitchen pots LOML was throwing out and one was from a local thrift store.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

BTW, welcome to the madness. You will soon find that even though $$ may be an issue now, once you become addicted to this that left kidney won't seem as important anymore![/QUOTE]

AMEN,

I thought that I would save money by casting my own, but that has not happened, I always seem to be saving my pennies for the next ....... or the new ......
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    SEMPER FI

If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy
    I am starting to like this forum more and more. Everyone here is so dang nice I can't hardly stand it. I have an old Coleman propane stove at home just sitting there and I'm sure I could find some pots lying around. I briefly remember reading about not using aluminum pots as casting pots right? Oh and how big exactly is 20 lbs of lead? Also which ladle would you recommend, the lyman or the RCBS? or???

Thanks,
    Matt

Boolit Master
    I cast on a Coleman for about a year and it worked well enough but you may want to beef up the rack. When it gets hot and has a heavy load sitting on it, things tend to sag. You can improve the existing one or make your own for almost nothing.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3357 View Post
    I have an old Coleman propane stove at home just sitting there and I'm sure I could find some pots lying around. I briefly remember reading about not using aluminum pots as casting pots right? Oh and how big exactly is 20 lbs of lead? Also which ladle would you recommend, the lyman or the RCBS? or???

Thanks,
    Matt
    Matt,

Do not use aluminum; it gets too weak with repeated use at those temps and will eventually fail on you.

For determining proper pot size, here is something to use: 1 fluid quart of pure lead weighs 23.66 pounds. So if you can fit a quart of water in it, then it will hold your 20#.

Ladles seem to be a personal preference, and I probably have them all, but I personally like the RCBS over the Lyman because it has a fin on it that keeps it in place easier while I'm preheating it. Also, I'm a southpaw so the RCBS was easier to convert. Most of my ladle casting for the past few years has been done with a Rowell No.1, because that is what works best (for me) for the larger stuff.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

Thumbs up

Matt3357, Welcome to the world of smelting!

I took the plunge years ago, and bought a
    Lyman 20 lb. bottom pour and never looked
    back.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

I have a Lee 19lb production pot....bottom pour in good condition to sell PM me.
    SpaceGlocker

Boolit Grand Master
    I started with a coleman stove with a propane conversion, a one quart cast iron sauce pan, and a modified stainless steel ladle.

My recommendation for boolit casting is to get the 20 lb Lee pot and an RCBS ladle. This will give you both options, and on my Lee at least, when I am ladle casting the autionatic drip will limit itself once it drips enough to get to the spout.

For the conversion of wild wheelweights to the tamer ingot form, a propane fired fish/ turkey fryer and a large steel pot works well.

Robert