RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Centech Laser Thermometer?

Moderator Emeritus

Centech Laser Thermometer?

It is either Harbor freight or Northern tool that has one of the Non-contact Laser thermometers made by Cen-tech advertised for $30 and according to the ad it has a range from -4 to 968 F. Anybody used one? Are they worth $30.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Buddy
    Depends on what you want to measure. If it's something relatively non-reflective (high emissivity) then they should be OK. If it's something shiny like molten lead (low emissivity, and what I assume you're after) I doubt they'll work very well.

The IR thermometers (or pyrometers) need a high emissivity surface to work with. I don't have one personally but have used some (not the Centech though) and they all worked fine for measuring surface temps of electronic components, which are relatively high emissivity. Some brands have an adjustment that can be made to measure low emissivity surfaces accurately, but I doubt the Centech will. If it does, you could calibrate it to handle shiny stuff. For measuring a lead melt, one alternative would be to float a piece of dark, dull steel or other metal in the melt and measure the temperature of that. It should be close enough for the task. No, I haven't tried that, but the theory says it should work... Similarly, a spot on the side of the pot just above the melt might provide a "close enough" place to try and measure if the measurement "spot" (what the thing is really looking at) is small enough.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I purchased an electrical automotive kit that contained a IR thermometer. It's for taking engine block readings. I thought what a neat way to check my RCBS PRO MELT for temp ranges. No can do as the lead gives a false reading. Anything that reflects light will not give true readings. I even tried it while frying turkey thinking the stained peanut oil would read, no again. Works when I need a motor reading such as motorcycle, lawnmower or truck.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys, keeps me from wasting $30 I dont have anyway.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    Thanks guys, keeps me from wasting $30 I dont have anyway.
    They are useful for checking the temperature of a mould while it's setting on a hotplate, but I wouldn't spend $30 for only that capability.

I have regular use for a multimeter, and finally decided I could live with a digital one. So, I chose a unit that covers all of the normal things (ohms, volts, current, etc.) but also includes an IR thermometer and a K-Type thermocouple capability.

Now, the only temperature I can't accurately measure is my wife's Spanish temper.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 10-23-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master
    The reflectivity can be overcome as lurch mentioned. Float a copper penny or a gas check on the surface and use it as a target. The heat darkens the penny or GC almost immediately and stops reflection.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

5000 feet high in the fragrant pines of central Arizona
    Make sure the penny is 1982 or earlier: melt temp, 1383 deg. F

1983 and later are copper coated zinc, melt temp of 787 deg. F.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    Anybody used one? Are they worth $30.

I have the one you are asking about although I have not tried to measure the temp of my melt. I think I will try it and see how it does.