WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ted Williams 30-30

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing Jon, looks just like a matte nickel finish. Wow.

Boolit Master
    I believe that is nickel, they had plated before blueing in that time period(post-war), and had problems with finish holding up.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Kind of off the subject a bit, but does anyone know what year Winchester started drilling and tapping those two holes for receiver sights? I ran across a 32 special in good shape just yesterday, and it has a Redfield receiver sight on it. The serial no. was in the 1 million 8 series. The shop owner thought that the holes had been drilled later, based upon another 32 sp he had in the 1 million 7 vintage, which didn't have the two plugged holes.

Boolit Master

I looked up the part to replace that hex head screw on the TW 30-30 and its the firing pin lever stop screw. $2.10 from Numrich and should be here by the end of the week to bring it back to original status. Considering that after I did some research on Gunbroker and AuctionArms and a couple of other websites, I got the rifle for about $100 less than comparable rifles. Not bad for just replacing a $2 screw.

Jon, your rifle looks great.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Quote Originally Posted by oneokie View Post
    The Ted Williams (Sears Model 54) has a bunch of factory holes in the left side of the receiver, or at least mine does.
    I checked mine. It does not have any extra scope mounting holes, like in the pictures on page one of this thread.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Nice looking rifle. The two holes in the upper rear of the receiver are factory drilled mounting holes for Williams and Lyman peep sights.

Boolit Man
    I have a Ted Williams scope with rings made by Weaver El Paso I will sell for $75 shipped to go on one of these classics.

Boolit Master
    Always wanted one of those since I first saw one in the Sears catalog......
    Paul

I had one of the Sears guns once and got it at a good price. Mine was made in the post 64 times when the stamped parts were introduced. It still worked OK. Shot cast very well. Got rid of it for one of those reasons I cannot recall now as I would kind of like to have a 30-30 carbine again.

DP

I have one that i bought at a local gun show about 14-15 years ago. fellow had a table set up selling his personal firearms. he said no one would buy it because it had "sears" on it. was about 90 percent new,had sling swivels on it. he sez "make me an offer" $95.00 and walked out the door with it. still have,gonna keep it.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

My favorite shotgun is a Sear's Ted Williams. It's a 20ga pump made by Hi Standard. Great little pump. I became enamored of them after my father broke the one he had bought in the 1960s for grandad, by falling out of a tree while rabbit hunting. 30 years later I got the wood I needed from Numrich and fixed the old shotgun. Later, I bought another one as my brother and I had some disagreement as to who the old one belonged to, the fellow that fixed it, or the the fellow pop left it to. Falling out of a tree while rabbit hunting? Yep. There was a tree sticking straight out of the side of a spoil bank, and dad was sitting on it out toward the end. The rabbit came running by and dad took a shot at it. The recoil pushed him back far enough that he fell backwards off his perch, maybe as much as 10 feet to the ground. For 30 years that shotgun sat in the cabinet with a broken stock and cracked forearm.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    On the Sears 94s, the four extra holes were factory to fit a scope mount that offset the scope to the left. In the day there were mounts available to use the two receiver sight holes and one factory hole on the left of usual Winchester 94s that were very simiar. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Banned

I'd say you got a really good deal on that rifle, I'd love to find one for $175. That's about what I payed for my beat up '94 14 or 14 years ago, mine looks bad, but it's a good shooter.

[Kind of off the subject a bit, but does anyone know what year Winchester started drilling and tapping those two holes for receiver sights?]

FWIW, It's been well documented that Winchester first started D/T the receiver sight prep holes in the Model 94 receiver in the 1,790,000 SN range, and only stopped with the introduction of the angle-eject Model 94AE.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    My 1967 Ted Sears winnie is fast and shoots straight.

Id buy another for $200 in a heartbeat
    Nice nickname for a Ted Williams 100 (Winnie'94-in-disguise)

The Ted Williams 94 Winchester was the last lever action to sell for around $100 used here but that was years ago. The last one I saw the owner wanted $300 and got it. I always thought the painted forend was weird...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I saw a Ted Williams 30-30 tonight in a local gunstore. It looks like a Winchester 94 with the top eject. Is this a clone that Winchester made for Sears?

He's asking $175 for it because Bubba put a lot of scope mount holes in it in the past.

The bore looks pristine so just curious if its worth going back to get it.

Bruce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12