MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Deer inside and out

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Deer inside and out

I have some deer fat:

This is one of the fattest deer I've ever seen. I have a pan full of trimmings from both internal fat and external. I'm debating using it. I still have a quart of redered fat from a couple deer taken 2 years back.

I plan on redering this and keeping them seperate. I did not do that last time, I just mixed it and cooked it out.

I shoot a lot of black powder and I think I'll be looking for some good formulas. I will start off using it in place of the oil in my present formula. I will have to reduce the bees wax as this stuff will be stiff.

deer fat is good for bp but it gets rancid if not used up rather.. quickly.dont affect the preformance but smells...........Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Nice Buck. That fat makes real good soap.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Nice buck and nice shooting.

What did you shoot it with? Cast boolits?

That buck would be a monster were I hunt.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Boolit Grand Master

Beware of salt in any rendered animal fat or tallow (all blood has salt in it and can ruin a barrel overnight).

Just a "heads up"...

FWIW
    Dale53

Moderator Emeritus
    Rendered deer fat makes the best chips (French fries to the American contingent) you've ever tasted.

On the Red Deer at this time of year it will be hanging like bunches of grapes inside the cavity.

Just scoop it out, render it down, peel and chip half a stone or so of Kerr's Pinks, depp fry in the fat 'till a golden brown, a touch of salt some vinegar, strong tea with white bread and best butter and you'll be in cholesterol heaven.

When we were kids dragging for the stalkers we used to fight over the fat at the grollach.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Moderator Emeritus
    Tea with a chip piece.

An authoritative claret, or a pint or two of McEwans Export along with a tumbler full of Cynelish single malt when eating venison.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Nice Buck. That fat makes real good soap.
    Never made soap. What's the process?

Wasn't shot with cast. This year, my old butt had to keep up with a 25 yr old first time hunter. If I was going to mentor, I needed to lose wt to keep up. Went with my old 600 rem in 6mm. I don't even have a mould for it so I used what ever reload was in the box. 6lbs vs 15 lb Shiloh and the choice was fairly easy.

My wife is the pie baker and she would NOT tolerate any bear of any sort in the house. She saw one hanging in the shop all skinned out. If you've seen one you know what I mean.

Gussy--The RCBS 6mm bullet shoots great in my .243 and I suspect would in your 6mm---but it didn't perform on deer. Bad enough that it is in the never again catagory.

Boolit Master
    I never used rendered deer fat for lube but have used rendered bear fat for same. It worked well but after a while started to smell like very dead bear so I through a lot of it out.

Boolit Buddy
    To render tallow out of deer fat, put all the trimmings into a large pot and fill with water.
    Boil the fat for a few hours, then pour off the water into a large pan and let cool overnight,
    If the weather is cold, set it outside where the critters won't get to it. In the morning there
    will be a layer of white fat floating on the water. Put this rendered tallow in a old frying pan and melt on low heat. Pour through an old piece of burlap into a clean coffee can. The burlap
    will help to remove most of the meat scraps in the tallow. The tallow will be a very hard wax
    I mix a little unsalted lard with the tallow to get the consistincy that you like. The render tallow
    will not turn rancid if the meat byproducts are removed. After mixing store in a old margarine
    container as the coffee can will rust after time. If it gets discolored with rust , just remelt and
    pour through cheese cloth, won,t take out the rust color but it is still good for bullet lube.
    Be it black powder or smokeless. You can also add beeswax or any other wax you might want
    to blend, EXPERIMENT and have fun. webfoot10

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    From the for what it's worth department, I've rendered Bear and Deer fat out as follows:

Put the fat in a big pot with some water and a tablespoon of salt. Boil it down 'till all the water is gone. Let it cool and add water again and a tablespoon of baking soda and boil that down. Sift out all the cracklin' and other debris and what's left is rendered fat. So far so good.