RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This ain't right...

Boolit Bub

This ain't right...

A couple of years ago I bought a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Carbine LTD in .45 Colt. It was part of a package deal. I haven't shot it until this week since I decided it'd be perfect for hunting on my buddy's property.

What ain't right is the amount of cleaning I've had to do so far...way more than any other used rifle I've had...

I'm alternating brushing, Hoppes #9, and JB Bore Paste. It just doesn't want to come clean! Anyone have comments or suggestions?
    Last edited by crgaston; 10-19-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Is it lead or copper fouling?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Might try a good application of Kroil. That stuff works wonders at getting under and lifting out the trash. Kroil and JB bore cleaner make a very effective combination.

If it is copper fouling, Shooter's Choice Foaming Bore Cleaner. Best I've ever found for copper fouling. I've had some rifles take a week or so of overnight soakings, but it saves me from scrubbing.

Boolit Master
    The picture of your patches and the caliber seam to indicate that it is leading you have. Try kroil. Give the bore a good soaking in it and let it sit for several minuted then take a bore brush to it (bronze) and give it ten or twenty for and aft cycles then soak a patch in kroil and wipe it out. The patch should come out very cruddy. Do this as many times as necessary to get it clean. My guess is that the former owner used it for cowboy action shooting and never cleaned it.

Boolit Grand Master

LOL! That's why I own an Outer's Foul Out. Better living through chemistry!

In Remebrance

I'm no expert on jacket fouling, but I promise you- use 4/0 steel wool on a brush and the lead will come right out with NO damage to the barrel.

Boolit Master
    +1 on the Outers Foul Out. Best thing I have ever used for lead or copper fouling.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

One old trick for leading is to take a brass pad as used for cleaning pots and pans and wrap strands from it around a bore brush. I have tried it and it works, whcih does not surprise me as that trick is so old it has hair on it. Used a lot by revolver shooters. As for copper fouling use one of the chemicals for that purpose.

Northmn

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys. I have used Kroil for a couple of cycles, too. Hopefully I'll get it clean before the season's over! LOL! Thanks for the steel wool reminder...I should have thought of that.

It was greasy when I started. There was green bullet lube coming out at first...like pushing the rod through vaseline, almost.

It still shoots really well with 17.5gr 2400 under a RCBS 255K. Can't wait to see what it'll do once all the gunk is out.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Try shooting a few COW loads through it. Then clean it.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    skip the jb bore paste ......kind of a wate of time and enefgy till you know whats in the bore.....AND IF LEAD...DONT BOTHER.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    Try shooting a few COW loads through it. Then clean it.

Cream of Wheat? What does that do?

Mike, the bore paste sure helps get leading out of my stainless revolver barels, but then I never get them this nasty either.

BTW, I'm positive this is lead/lube/powder fouling. There have been no real signs of copper other than from the brushes.

Boolit Master

+1 on what northmn said. This is all I use on my leaded hangun barrels. It works first time every time. Slickest way to remove lead there is, AND very quick. Takes me about 60 seconds to clear a barrel. Make sure you use ONLY brass or copper pads as northmn said. If you have to, bring a magnet to the department store with you to check and make sure that the pad is NOT copper coated steel. Find the end of the wire and unravel like a knitted item and wrap the wire around a used brass cleaning brush until it will just fit into the bore.. Very simple.
    Jack

Boolit Master

maybe blackpowder?

Beings it's a .45 Colt maybe somebody shot blackpowder loads in it and didn't clean up afterwards. Just a thought. Might try a little hot soapy water besides the other solvents.

Another item I've seen used for stubborn bores is brass plumbing faucet filters. Little circles of brass mesh used to keep debris out of the tap water.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    +1 on what northmn said. This is all I use on my leadd hangun barrels. It works first time every time. Slickest way to remove lead there is, AND very quick. Takes me about 60 seconds to clear a barrel. Make sure you use ONLY brass or copper pads as northmn said. If you have to, bring a magnet to the department store with you to check and make sure that the pad is NOT copper coated steel. Find the end of the wire and unravel like a knitted item and wrap the wire around a used brass cleaning brush until it will just fit into the bore.. Very simple.
    Jack
    Littlejack is correct about checking with a magnet! I bought a box of "Copper" cleaning pads at Wal-Mart and they started rusting! My wife used one and set it in a soap dish over night and it was very rusty. The copper ones do work great for leading removal. I also found some brass screen that works great also.

G

Boolit Grand Master

I use a purple soap I buy from Pep Boys called Purple Power. Just about the same as Super Clean.
    Will clean powder and lead fouling out of a gun, to include shotguns very quick. Don't get it on any anodized parts as it will remove this also.
    I usually put some in a small container on the floor and then pump it thru with a tight fitting patch. I have also used it on patches in the normal fashion and it works, just a little slower.

It removes all traces of oil so you will definitely need to oil right after cleaning.

I have used it for at least 5 years for cleaning badly fouled bores with no damage.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    It appears to be some BP fouling. Try a mix of Ballistol and water if you have it. I mix at 7:1. If not try some hot soapy water or Windex with vinegar. All will work. If smokeless try M-Pro 7 I have not found anything as good unless it is Sweet's 7.62
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Bub
    Wouldn't BP fouling have caused rust if sitting for over a year?

I have some BP cleaner...that'll get a shot.

I tried some steel wool and that pulled a bunch of lead out, but Hoppes-soaked patches are still coming out dirty. I will also say that it's starting to look like there may be a fair amount of machining marks in the barrel. I'm guessing it's going to foul again quickly. Fortunately, since I don't do CAS I don't have a need to shoot gazillions of rounds through it. I think I'd be disappointed if I had bought it for that purpose.

I do have some Super Clean brand biodegradable degreaser in a purple spray bottle. I'll give that a shot as well.
    Last edited by crgaston; 10-20-2009 at 02:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast