As mentioned in the „Running out of excuses“ thread I had found a lead source and was planning to collect the required items to start casting small scale.
Our church has a second hand store where people are donating things they don’t need. Those are sold and the funds go to people in need, congregations in Africa, usually.
Anyway, I found an old enamel pot stainless steel tray, spoon and ladle for 5 bucks. An old hot plate I have borrowed from a friend. Well the only thing left was something to hit the sprue plate and, you guessed it, A MOLD.
By accident I found a used Lee459-405 HB on the German ebay for a very reasonable price and bought it.
Today after lunch I set everything up on the balcony.
I followed the instructions by Lee. While the pot was heating up I used disinfection fluid to swap out the cavity, WD40 for the sprue plate and v-ribs, after that I smoked the cavity with a lighter.
Now comes the smoky part: after about 15 minutes the all lumps had gone liquid. I used a small amount of bees wax and tossed it into the pot. Wow, smoke all over – well I guess it was a bit too much. Hopefully the fumes are not too poisonous. Skimming the dross was relatively easy, since the lead/tin mix was quite clean from the start. I fluxed 2 times more and then started.
Pouring the first fill with mixed emotions and still thinking of all the threads here – move over the water filled bucket with a towel. Open the handles and….. the boolit dropped without any interference.
Unfortunately I found out after about 20 pours that I was working too slowly. The fill-out was not complete. Increasing the frequency helped.
Well after about 1 hour of scooping, filling and dropping interspersed with fluxing, I had 64 boolits. Due to the starter problems I only kept 28. Next time it might get better.
Opening the sprue with a gloved hand was quite easy I didn’t even need the hammer handle I had bought. When the sprue plate started to open a little harder I applied some more WD40 with a q-tip – still I managed to get some tiny grooves into the block on the way of the sprue . I guess better lube is needed here.
The mike says the boolits are .459”
Please have a look at my very first keepers!!!
Now I can say for the first time:
Next time, hopefully the keepers will be outnumbering the remelts.