Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: re-barrell question 6.5 Swede

re-barrell question 6.5 Swede

Can I re-barrell a LH .308 Win Savage 110 to 6.5 Swede? or is that round to long?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
    Can I re-barrell a LH .308 Win Savage 110 to 6.5 Swede? or is that round to long?
    Corvette,

I did an older 110 action to 6.5x54MS which is very close to the Swede and I had to alter the magazine box and part of the receiver in order to accept the longer bullets. The older 110 Savage action is neither a short action, nor a long actions, it's intermediate and very hard to find the correct stock for. I modified a long action Ramline for mine. I say don't do it unless you want a single shot.

Joe

Boolit Buddy
    Are you Really wanting a 6.5 swede? An easy swap is to 260 Remington. Same case, no mods to anything. I'm building a Savage 99 from a 243 right now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixer View Post
    Are you Really wanting a 6.5 swede? An easy swap is to 260 Remington. Same case, no mods to anything. I'm building a Savage 99 from a 243 right now.
    Gunfixer,

I'll tell you what sucks on a 260. I did one on a Type 38 Arisaka. The number one thing is the SAAMI spec reamers don't have much throat. You're stuck to seating bullets deep, especially the longer heavier ones. So I got a throater reamer and throated it out further. Now I can seat my 140 grainers with the base not past the neck/shoulder junction. Other then that it's a good one to put on that Savage action.

Joe

Boolit Buddy
    Not wanting to hijack this thread I'll keep it short
    Yes Joe you are correct on the throats, But I am going the other way, 100 gr J words.

I'd go with a 260 Rem A.I. or the new 6.5mm Creedmore.
    If you're looking to lower recoil from the 308 the Creedmore is about as efficient as you'll get.
    Don't know what sort of barrel life they've been getting but it would have to be better than the Sweed or 260 simply because it uses less powder. Their's a video on this page.
    http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/home.php?cat=458

Boolit Buddy
    Find some ammunition for a Sweede and see how it fits in the box. For years Savage onmly made one action, and it was 30/06 length. If that is what you've got I would think that you might just need to change the follower, mag box, and maybe the bolt stop. I've never done a Savage myself, but if you can find an 06 or 270 to look over note the difference in parts between it and yours. The max OAL of the Swede is 3.1 inches, and the 308 2.8 inches.

Also, don't forget that the Swede has a bastard bolt face: slightly larger than the Mauser/ 30-06. That would be easy to fix with the way the bolt head detatches. Do your hoimework.

Boolit Bub
    If you have questions about Savage rifles go to:
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/

The 110 action did come in an intermediate length for a while and yes it can be problematic. However, if the donar is for .270 or .30-06 it will be the standard length action which will take the 6.5X55 perfectly. The case head is a little larger than the standard .473 but fits most of the time. This is a very standard conversion with the Savage.

Terrier
    Never Forget and Never Forgive