RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45/70 Contender

Boolit Bub
    I've got the 16 in contender barrel,and enjoy it, my son took his second moose with it when he was 15,a light load under a 300 gr hard cast, broke ribs on both sides and the offside shoulder, we didn't recover the bullet as it exited.Also have a rifle barrel for the Encore and took this springs black bear with it ,a 350 gr jhp full house load.Any hot load {Ruger #1] is quite a handful even in the rifle it's not much fun.No matter what load your using it should be more than you need for any deer.Just remember no matter what load your using beyond 100 yds the drop becomes a factor very quickly.
    Alex

Here's how I "get attention" at the range with my 45-70 contender. I keep some rounds after shooting my Sharps. They're loaded with a 500 grain Lyman rnd. nose and 68 grains of 1-1/2 swiss. With the ported 12" barrell it makes ALOT of "Flame, Smoke, Stink" What a Hoot!
    I don't use a scope on that barrel, just the sights. But I can still keep most of the shots on a 200yd pig off-hand. Recoil really isn't that bad, for 10 rnds or so.
    45Bpcr

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aaalaska View Post
    I've got the 16 in contender barrel,and enjoy it, my son took his second moose with it when he was 15,a light load under a 300 gr hard cast, broke ribs on both sides and the offside shoulder, we didn't recover the bullet as it exited.Also have a rifle barrel for the Encore and took this springs black bear with it ,a 350 gr jhp full house load.Any hot load {Ruger #1] is quite a handful even in the rifle it's not much fun.No matter what load your using it should be more than you need for any deer.Just remember no matter what load your using beyond 100 yds the drop becomes a factor very quickly.
    Alex
    If yours is a regular Contender, and not an Encore, using Ruger #1 loads isn't recommended by T/C. #1 loads are about 20K Psi./CUP more than the Contender frame is rated for. It usually shortens the life of the frame significantly.

Boolit Buddy

I have an Encore in 45-70 with 17 in, FRO bull barrel. I bought the encore because when I had the Contender in 45-70 it was not fun to shoot. I use 5744 with a 400 gr cast bullet at 1350 fps. It works great on deer and wold hogs, with a 4X Simmons scope I can shoot 2.25 in at 100 yds when I do my part correctly. Next to 375 JDJ the 45-70 is my favorite cartridge, have fun.

buffalohunter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12