Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: G2 Contender or Encore?

Boolit Master

G2 Contender or Encore?

Thinking about getting one of the above and have a few questions.

1) They seem to both cost about the same and have many of the same options. What is the difference between the two?

2) It seems to me that the Encore has more caliber choices, is this true?

3) Is having one scope for a variety of barrels an option with today’s quick release and tip off style rings and bases? (I understand that I would have to sight in the scope before hunting)

4) I see that there are different barrel contour options. Are the forehands all the same or are they different for the respective contours?

5) If I bought one as a pistol but then decided to make it into a rifle could my son (who is 18) hunt and transport the gun provided he only had the rifle barrel and stock in his possession?

Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Hope this helps you,

Buy the pro hunter rifle. I love it. great recoil control, and REALLY accurate!

Now to your questions,

1 & 2. the Encore can handle higher pressure cartridges, and can do all the G2 can do, but way more!

3. you can have only one scope, but your cartridges will need to be close in trajectory. for the price, i would suggest as many scopes as you have barrels, if at all possible.

4. the forends are different on the G2 Contender, they are made to the contour of the barrel.

5. I believe this would be a yes, but I would check with the authorities in your local area. I know the courts issued a ruling several years ago, regarding this area, I'm sure someone else here will know better than i in this area.

Good luck, and have fun, I have with mine for a number of years!

Boolit Master
    For your number 5 It is my understanding this is legal but barrel and butstock must be installed on the reciever.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master
    So, the Encore is stronger why are they still making the G2 Contender?

Because the G2 can be used with rim fire barrels.

Boolit Master
    Because the G2 can be used with rim fire barrels.

The G2 is about a pound lighter than the Encore, for one thing. Also, the G2 is scaled better for smaller framed people, and those of us who have average-to small-size hands.

Personally, I don't care much for the Encore as a handgun, it's just too heavy and bulky for me. I think it's a great rifle though. The G2, for me is great as both a rifle and a handgun, although I prefer 10-inch barrels for handgun configuration.
    lathesmith

I have never seen a rim fire barrel for a Encore.
    Might be me, because I don't look for Encore barrels

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    I have never seen a rim fire barrel for a Encore.
    Might be me, because I don't look for Encore barrels
    They make them you have to switch out the firing pin block on the Encore.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/encoreRimfire.php
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Buddy

choices

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    pretty much the same reason smith wesson makes a couple of differt frames and calibers.

Not trying to sound flippant, but there are many older barrels out there, which all work on the G2 Contender, and some folks just like the contender better than the Encore! different strokes ya know.

Boolit Grand Master

The Tender is a slimmer, trimmer single shot. If you can find a pre-G2 contender then you will have the advantage of a trigger that the G-2 and Encore cannot match.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

The G2 Contender is an upgrade of the original Contender frame. Easier opening ,safety, ability to change from rim to center fire easier, etc. The original Contender barrels will fit the G2 but not the Encore. If you have older Contender barrels I would buy the upgraded G2 frame. If you are starting anew buy the Encore frame. It is MUCH stronger...dale

Boolit Master
    They make them you have to switch out the firing pin block on the Encore.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/encoreRimfire.php

With a genuine T/C rimfire barrel "no frame alteration is necessary", as stated on the web page link generously supplied by jh45gun. TC actually offsets the rimfire barrel slightly to accomplish this. In actual use it really isn't noticable, and it does add a missing dimension to the Encore. I really like mine, it's is very accurate and useful.

lathesmith

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lathesmith View Post
    With a genuine T/C rimfire barrel "no frame alteration is necessary", as stated on the web page link generously supplied by jh45gun. TC actually offsets the rimfire barrel slightly to accomplish this. In actual use it really isn't noticable, and it does add a missing dimension to the Encore. I really like mine, it's is very accurate and useful.

lathesmith
    Good to know last I read there was the fireing pin block thing but that was several years ago which I felt would be a pain to mess with. Just having a barrel to change even offset makes much more sense.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    Yes, when rimfire barrels first became available for Encores, they were third-party vendor barrels and they required swapping out the firing pin. When T/C came out with them they did the barrel offset to eliminate this inconvenience. I actually prefer this, because there isn't a selector to "forget" about, and I think most *honest* Contender owners will admit they have forgotten to flip the switchable hammer from centerfire to rimfire and vice versa at least ONCE. No big deal at the range, but a disappointing big deal if you are in a close-range hunting situation.
    I remember years ago me, my dad, and my brother were walking through the field during whitetail season, and my dad was carrying a T/C. The rimfire/centerfire selector happened to come up in the conversation, and on checking his Contender carbine it was in the "rimfire" position with a 7/30 Waters barrel. He of course fixed this, and not ten minutes later nailed an 8-pt buck with that carbine as it was running away from other hunters who had unknowingly chased him our way! So always, ALWAYS verify this selector before hunting, it might save you an embarrassing "click" and a big disappointment!
    lathesmith

Boolit Buddy
    Lathesmith; I will admit to having the embarassing "click" but, it was on the line of an IHMSA match. Lost a point over it. Did learn that its better to do it there than in the field on a good animal. BTW, its not a click in the field, may as well be shutting your truck door when that hammer falls and it don't go bang!

Jim

Boolit Bub
    I have an encore, now not having the opportunity to handle a contender, thoroughly enjoy this as apistol. I have 500sw, . 223, and 308 barrel. As far as pistol/rifle they are designated as such at the factory. Im not sure if this is state law or federal. switching from pistol configuration to rifle and vice verse is "creating a new firearm" and thus illegal, in order to legally do this u must jump through red tape and pay $200somethin. Theres an article on this somewhere-maybe the bellm website? I got the encore as it can do everything

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lamina1982 View Post
    I have an encore, now not having the opportunity to handle a contender, thoroughly enjoy this as apistol. I have 500sw, . 223, and 308 barrel. As far as pistol/rifle they are designated as such at the factory. Im not sure if this is state law or federal. switching from pistol configuration to rifle and vice verse is "creating a new firearm" and thus illegal, in order to legally do this u must jump through red tape and pay $200somethin. Theres an article on this somewhere-maybe the bellm website? I got the encore as it can do everything
    This case went through the supreme court, and was ruled upon favorably for T/C and gun owners. the ruling ended the debate by stating one must not have a carbine stock in place on frame or in possession without accompanying rifle barrel. In other words, don't have a rifle stock on the frame, without at least a 16.5 barrel in place. I have not found the actual case # and full information, but am certain one could contact T/C and they would be better suited to give guidance. This as well as most of the Contender/Encore sites.

Hope this helps...

#5......here in Pa, you will have to check with your states legislature, a person 18 years old is allowed to hunt/fish etc with a handgun as long as it is in plain view and not conceiled and that person has a permit to do so. transporting it is the same as a rifle. my advise on which frame platform to base your gun on is, go to your local gun store and handle all of them. maybe one will just fit you better. make sure you try all of the factory and aftermarket stocks and grips you can find, as small differences which each will make a big difference. also, your choice of calibers may dictate which frame you need. for me, just about all of my contenders are set up as pistols and the encores are rifles. also, my contenders are the old style G1 frame with the better trigger. good luck with your decision jim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    The Tender is a slimmer, trimmer single shot. If you can find a pre-G2 contender then you will have the advantage of a trigger that the G-2 and Encore cannot match.
    That is a myth. No it isn't as user friendly. A try at lawyer proofing them. Look at the bellm website and buy a spring kit. Mine was heavier than my trigger pull gauge would register when new. I had a couple of guys say they could fix it. The first one made it worse. The second one got it almost usable around 8 pounds but still not what I wanted. I bought an assortment of springs from Mike B and was way more than pleased.

The encore makes a better rifle than a pistol imho. The encore is a bit heavy to pack but usable non the less. I have one encore frame bought as a pistol. It goes from pistol to rifle once in a while.
    All my Contender and G2 frames stay as a pistol.
    jeff