RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Need Info on a TS Encore Rifle please

Boolit Mold

Need Info on a TS Encore Rifle please

Hi
    I know nothing about the Thompson Contender Encore rifle. I am looking to buy a 45-70 model and then buy a 38-55 barrel from the custom shop. My question is are these good and accurate guns? I want to scope it, will that work ok? Any info anyone can share with me about these guns will be much appreciated.
    Thanks Al

Boolit Buddy
    I have been party to several animals being harvested, all with a 270 win, and by three different shooters. The rifle is boring accurate. Well capable of longer ranges than most anybody has business shooting animals.

All of my contender barrels have been stellar in the accuracy.

I don't think you will be disappointed in any encore model.

Good luck,
    Jim

Boolit Master

one rifle so many barrels. If you want one I will sell mine. I bought it as a ML and got a 7mm-08 barrel for it. Has scope on the Ml barrel. it would be a package deal. will not split.

Boolit Grand Master

Scoping it is no problem, the scope mounts on the barrel. I have a Katadin model in 45-70 and 500 S&W with Leupold quick release scope mounts. Moving one scope to each barrel results in about 3" different POI @100! I don't know if they are all drilled that accurately, but mine are.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I have 3 Encore frames and 10 barrels, The 45-70 is a bruiser in that light rifle unless you load it down. All of my barrels have had an accuracy issue until I fire lapped them. Mounting a scope is not a problem, all of the barrels are drilled & tapped from the factory. You can get Redfield or Weaver style bases.
    The Encore system is very versatile but all of mine required tweaking to get the accuracy I wanted, but then my goals may be different than others.

Larry

Boolit Grand Master

If you are looking for a 38/55 barrel check out Match Grade Machine. I have 5 of their barrels and have never had to "tweak" anything to get them to shoot.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

If you are gonna get one with a lot of recoil get the recoil absorbing stock. It really does make a difference.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I have also found that a thumbhole stock makes a difference with my 12 gauge slug gun.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

I have a single frame and two barrels.
    One is a factory 22-250 and the other is a custom 45-70 Bull barrel with brake.
    I've pretty much given up on shooting cast with the 45-70 with the brake mounted (it's removable) but I plan on taking it next weekend for the hunt using this load:

I will also be taking the 22-250 and that's the advantage of TC's, you can just swap the barrels out.
    Figure if I do bag a deer, I can hunt for yotes where I cleaned him later
    Last edited by Topper; 11-02-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Added Quarter to photo