Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Tumble lubing standard boolits?

Boolit Master

Tumble lubing standard boolits?

I just cast about 350 standard SWC boolits yesterday, and lubed them with LLA cut about 30% with mineral spirits.

Tumble lubing just seems too easy. It seems to have worked well, and was easy but is it a mistake?

I mixed up a half-pound of Bullshop Speed Green because I could, and will try pan lubing with it just to see, but tumble lubing is so quick, after reading the posts, I am thinking of standardizing with 50-50 JPW and Lars' Xlox thinned with mineral spirits, if it will work well with standard boolits.

What do you think? Orrrr....should I just give up, buy Lars' BAC, use it for pan lube and live happily ever after? Yeah, right!

Banned

I think you got it. No problems here tumbling regular boolits with LLA. I prefer LLA/JPW with a touch of paint thinner as it dries quickly and, well, it DRIES. Unlike straight LLA or even thinned LLA.

Boolit groove design, in most situations, doesn't matter much with tumble lube. Don't worry too much about filling the grooves, what lube dries in them stays in them to the target anyway so just make sure you have a good coat on the driving bands.

Pan lubing is fun in small quantities, but not for high-volume pistol stuff. Try it once if you already have the stuff, speed green pan lubes pretty well, so does BAC and 2500 from Lar's.

Oh, and to answer another question you had, tumble lubing is only a mistake if your gun doesn't like it and either leads or has accuracy issues. I've found a good stick lube outdoes tumble lube almost every time (others who have tinkered more will contradict me, I'm sure), but at 25 yards or less with a pistol I can't shoot well enough to tell the difference most days. One of my most accurate pistol/load combos is with the tumble lube recipe you mentioned, just an anomaly I guess.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Thanx, Geargnasher. Paint thinner? Is that something different than Mineral Spirits, which my dad (he was a painter) used all the time to thin his paint?

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    I think the names are interchangable= same/same
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Master
    I think you'll like pan lubing... but only if you don't shoot much. You'll know when it's time to buy a lube-sizer or start tumbling.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Smile

Dip lubing works well for small batches (up to 100 at a time) of long nosed rifle boolits.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill* View Post
    I think the names are interchangable= same/same
    and in the former empire of Great Britain it'll be White Spirit...

or at least until the PC mob decide White isn't really in the Spirit of things... Non-Ethnicly diverse Spirit doesn't quite sound right though... does it?.... Maybe losin' the plot... or losin' sense? it ain't called "Grate" Britian for no reason... there again it ain't called "Great" anymore... and that seems about right...

apply your own emphasis to all of that...
    Last edited by GRid.1569; 10-15-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Banned

If you REALLY want your LLA/JPW concoction to dry at warp speed, add about 15% by volume parts washer solvent (a petroleum-based solvent with an OSHA-mandated 140* flash point) instead of paint thinner/mineral spirits. Straight naptha works too, I've used all of these depending on which I had on hand. Tried laquer thinner, it works but it leaves cracks in the lube and kills a lot of brain cells

Gear

Smile

Gasoline works mighty well to thin LLA and dries fast, but it's as hazardous as lacquer thinner for flammability and explosion risk, it's toxic, and it stinks.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."