Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaners - Warning

Boolit Buddy

Exclamation Cleaners - Warning

My shooting partner emailed this article to me and I thought I'd pass it along.

I don't use brake or carburetor cleaners to clean molds but I thought some of you might. The article is a good reminder to read the warning labels.

Phosgene gas
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Thanks Gar, as I tig and use brake cleaner I will heed this info.

I'm not sure what it is I clean moulds with ...maybe Carbon Tet .... I always smoke my moulds with a lit wooden match. That helps to carbon the mould to help the boolit drop, but it also burns off any residue from the cleaner I use.
    I don't smike moulds with a candle as that can leave a coating of wax inside the mould causing funny things to happen I've noticed ..........
    Ohio Rusty
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Master

I have always used dish soap and a tooth brush to clean my moulds. Then dry them with a hair drier.
    Worked for me for a long time.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    That should be a mandatory read for all!!!

Ivory bar soap and an old toothbrush in hot water for me. Been doing it this way for quite some time with complete satisfaction.

Moderator Emeritus

Great to know. Are you the Gar previously owner of GAR? I have some enrichment metal cakes and I have lost the alloy description.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I agree with soap, water, and a toothbrush. Very safe, very effective, very inexpensive. I don't think the hazards of carb or brake cleaner are trivial and it costs a lot more than an old toothbrush. I have a hot plate with a small cover that I use to heat the mould to casting temperature that safely dries it out before pouring lead.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master
    I used to (key words) use brake cleaner pretty much with abandon! Not any more! That is some dangerous stuff, and I will not mess with it any more.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

I have been using brake cleaner on my moulds.
    I checked the can before I used it today and it is clearly marked "non chlorinated".
    I still take it out of doors and try to stay upwind of the fumes & spray.

Jack

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    If I have put the mould away for a while, I will usually have coated the mould in in Lanolin Grease, which is tough to get off, so I soak it in degreaser and wash that off with water a few times before the old tooth brush and soap trick.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Great to know. Are you the Gar previously owner of GAR? I have some enrichment metal cakes and I have lost the alloy description.
    Nope, just bessed with a great name
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Before anyone panics, keep in mind that the phosgene gas is only produced when the liquid brake cleaner fluid is heated above a certain temperature. Using brake cleaner to clean a cold mould, then allowing the brake cleaner to evaporate before casting WILL NOT PRODUCE PHOSGENE GAS!

Brake cleaner is the best thing I've found to clean the inside of an AR upper receiver and the various bolt and carrier parts. Blasts the carbon powder fouling right out! Cleans the gas tube, too.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by AZ-Stew; 10-20-2009 at 08:49 PM.
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Buddy
    Also an important note about brake cleaners in general:

- If marked "non chlorinated", the solvents are usually highly flammable and/or combustible.

- If marked "non flammable", the solvents are of chlorine base.

Either way, the stuff is bad news. It WILL adsorb THROUGH YOUR SKIN, and both are carcinogenic. Pick your poison, use your noggin, and use the **** outside

Stew -- thanks for pointing that out.

Let me add my 2 cents worth here -- I am a chemist by profession and I deal with all kinds of solvents (and a wide variety of other chemical hazards) as a part of my daily profession -- the only way to generate phosgene is to put these chlorinated solvents on very hot metal in the presence of air. If you clean a mould with a chlorinated solvent and then let it sit and dry before you heat it up, you are not going to generate any phosgene. If you clean your mould with non-chlorinated solvent and heat it up right away, it will smoke, or burn off, just like the oil that you use to lube the alignment pins or hinge joint of the handles. Either way, IF YOU ARE CASTING WITH SUITABLE VENTILATION then any trace vapors that come off of your mould from cleaning solvents will not be an issue. If you are casting WITHOUT suitable ventilation, then the lead, arsenic and other heavy metal vapors are going to cause more significant problems than anything coming from your cleaning solvents.

As for these things being absorbed through your skin, that warning pertains only if you get them on your skin. Cleaning a mould without getting stuff on your hands is not hard to do (i.e. toothbrush and paper towel).

Let's think about this stuff clearly and put the paranoia to rest....
    Glen

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Glen,

The problem is that most people don't have enough "practical" chemistry (or any other science, for that matter) education. Thanks, U.S. Public schools. The lack of practical understanding was beginning to show in the posts and I thought it prudent to clear things up a bit.

I might have added that when spraying brake cleaner one should wear safety goggles to keep splatters out of the eyes. That stuff can go anywhere when spraying the inside of an AR receiver, especially around the chamber entrance and bolt locking lugs.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    i use brakleen to clean lots of stuff, both chlorinated, and non chlorinated stuff.

its a great tool when used properly, and does kinda sting a bit in the eyes! lol

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    Glen,

The problem is that most people don't have enough "practical" chemistry (or any other science, for that matter) education. Thanks, U.S. Public schools. The lack of practical understanding was beginning to show in the posts and I thought it prudent to clear things up a bit.

I might have added that when spraying brake cleaner one should wear safety goggles to keep splatters out of the eyes. That stuff can go anywhere when spraying the inside of an AR receiver, especially around the chamber entrance and bolt locking lugs.

Regards,

Stew
    Heck of a lot of truth there. That's why there are so many outfits running around making millions protecting us from ourselves. Used with due caution MEK, Carbon Tet, Mercury, asbestos, etc can al be helpmates to mankind instead of his destroyer.

Boolit Master
    Good thing we usually don't have to weld on our molds often .

But welding of any kind has safty things that should be done everytime you weld .

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    GAR was in New Jersey, he is in Arizona, but he could have moved!