Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which 40S&W

Boolit Grand Master
    Person preference rules. A lot of quality .40's

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I have a midsize glock, (the 23) but would think a full sized m22 would suit your needs (and be at the low end of your budget) used 22s go for the 400 dollar range, sometimes less. Those elite match witness guns look great though- I wouldn't turn one of those down if I came across one at a good price.

CZ75B for all the reasons Al said. Plus its ergonomics make the gun feel FANTASTIC in the hand.

I got mine on gunbroker last november for $375 plus shipping/transfer, etc. New ones are closer to 600.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got two (2) 40S&W handguns, a Glock 22 and a Taurus PT140 Millenium Pro. I've had the Glock for some 20 years and I've put thousands of rounds of lead thru the stock Glock barrel without any problems whatsoever. That being said, I now have a Lone Wolf after market barrel on that weapon and while the chamber is indeed a lot tighter, I can't say that the accuracy is that much better. 'Course that's probably due more to my old and weak eyes than to the barrel. Regardless, I've been very pleased with the Glock and would recommend it to anyone. The Taurus, which I purchased as my carry piece, is also a neat little weapon and I've had absolutely no problems with shooting lead. Obviously, for carry purposes I load with commercial ammo but when I'm shooting paper I use lead most of the time.

I've looked at the Springfield Armory XMD and I think that if I didn't already have the Glock I'd be hard pressed to decide between the two. No experience with the CZ but lots of folks like and recommend them.

sleeper1428

Correction - It's XDM and not XMD. Dang old fingers!!

Boolit Master
    I love the XDM 40.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameslovesjammie View Post
    CZ75B for all the reasons Al said. Plus its ergonomics make the gun feel FANTASTIC in the hand.

I got mine on gunbroker last november for $375 plus shipping/transfer, etc. New ones are closer to 600.

get some real mags fro that thing...those look like kalifornicating 10 rd mags...std is 12 and 16's are available
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    I have a Belgian-made full size HiPower in 40S&W. I always thought HiPowers were the most elegant looking handgun, but was not much of a 9mm fan. The 40 makes it a genuine fighting handgun IMHO. Under 3" at 50 yards with my CB loads.

Rich

Boolit Grand Master

I have an XD and a CZ and the XD is the most accurate 40 I have ever shot bar none. The CZ is one of the best feeling in the hand pistols ranking with my 1911 and a Browning HP that I gave up for the CZ. From a practical standpoint it will depend on what you want to do with the gun a XD is as simple as it gets, pull it and squeeze the trigger. The CZ can be carried cocked and locked and the single action pull can be set for #3 even if you so desire, and a single action only trigger for target work is availablle. It was too hard a decision for ME!!! I had to have BOTH.

I recently purchased a XDm in 40, and I've been pleased as can be with it. It happily digests anything that I feed it.

I'd choose the gun that fits your hand the best, and has a good reputation.
    Last edited by That'll Do; 10-16-2009 at 06:34 PM.

get some real mags fro that thing...those look like kalifornicating 10 rd mags...std is 12 and 16's are available
    Way ahead of you. The mag on the left is a *** 10 round Promag that I got for $6 in the clearence bin...it was for a Baby Eagle and I basically bought it just to see if it would fit. I've got the Factory CZ 10 rounder and 5 Mecgar 12 rounders. I am also ordering some of the 140mm basepads and extra power springs from Angus. Also gonna reprofile the magazine follower to get an extra one in there.

p.s. that picture really doesn't do the gun justice. The grips look 100 times better in person.

Boolit Mold

get the CZ

Re: 9.3x62AL "What Mike said, for sure.

I am quite fond of my CZ-75B in 40 S&W... MUCH cheaper than SIG, a little cheaper than Glock. Utterly, totally reliable for me--over 2,000 rounds fired, and I can't make it stoppage with either jacketed or cast boolits."

I'm going to weigh in solidly with the other CZ fans on this one. Accuracy, reliability and price. The CZ75 is a service pistol. If you want something pretty, this might not be for you. On the other hand, if you want a pistol to shoot a lot, that will hit what you aim at every single time, this is the way to go.

I shoot a lot with a buddy who uses a Baby Eagle in .40, and while it too is a CZ clone, due to the much tigher manufacturing tolerances, it's a very finnicky pistol. My 75 on the other hand, will digest anything I run through it. I was successful once in inducing a stoppage. It took 1500 rounds of dirty Wolf without cleaning in order to accomplish this. That was when I first bought it NIB.

Quote Originally Posted by That'll Do View Post
    I recently purchased a XDm in 40, and I've been pleased as can be with it. It happily digests anything that I feed it.
    Does that include cast boolits?
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayoot View Post
    Does that include cast boolits?
    Yes it does. I've fed it 155gr SWC, 170gr SWC and 180gr TC and haven't had problems with any of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12