RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 40S&W

Boolit Master

Which 40S&W

I have been looking a 40s lately. Each salesman has a different idea about which gun is the best. I am looking at spending $400-600. This pistol will be used as a shooter rather than a carry gun, so I don`t want a compact. The XDM is catching my eye at this point. Tell me about your 40 and why I should own one......dale

In Remebrance

Our only 40 is my wifes Witness. From the standpoint of reliability and ergonomics the CZ clones are hard to beat-IMO. Others prefer the 1911 feel and still others like Glocks and SIGs. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Boolit Master

I have a Glock 23. It's not a compact, but rather a "medium" size Glock. It's very reliable, and pretty accurate. On the other hand, I don't really know why I have it.I generally carry either a .45acp or a .357 for concealed carry, and for just plinking or general use the 9mm is cheaper. I have a 9mm barrel in the G23 right now. I have a friend who has a Kimber Gold Match in .40. Very accurate, but kind of pricey as compared to a Glock or XD. I also have a Glock 20, a full size Glock in 10mm. I really like that gun, and you can get a .40 barrel for it,
    I am not really a big fan of the .40 , as I think the 10mm is a better choice on the one side, and the 9mm on the other. Just my opinion of course,
    Glocks and XD's both have a solid reputation with most folks, so a lot of people choose the one that fits their hand best.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master
    i'll step in with the cz family(since bret brought up the copies). i have shot a cz75 a lot and like it. it will be replaced with an 85( an ambi version of a 75).

there is also a 1911 vesion which is a 10 rd gun, and there is the top of the line competition version..the champion. som from 10 to 16 rd mags across the family.
    i like having a hammer to cock...the xd and glocks do not have these....call me old school..but i like hammers.....

dont get wound up in our input..its more important to buy a gun that fits your hand with a natural point of aim.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    EAA Witness Elite Match. Should be able to get one for about $520. Mine is a tack driver. (mine is actually 10mm Auto as well, but that shouldn't make any nevermind.)

IMHO you cant go wrong with a glock model 22 or a model 22C (compensated) it is the full sized 40 cal model. It has a 15 round magazine capacity and extra mags go for 20 or so. Holsters mags parts and other accessories are easy to come by and at competitive prices. I have never had a glock jam on me, Ive shot the cheap stuff and Ive shot the pricey stuff and the gun eats all of it with no complaints and I'm getting close to 10,000 rounds ( your mileage may vary ) Can't say enough good things about the gun, It is my go to pistol.

With that being said Glocks are "man" sized guns. Those with smaller hands have a hard time getting a good grip. Also glocks have no external safeties. Not a problem for me after shooting a glock for so long safeties throw me off now. Remember you are the primary safety.

Glocks are easy to break down for cleaning. Glock Mags are a *$(%& to break down and clean.

But above all else listen to mike
    don't get wound up in our input..its more important to buy a gun that fits your hand with a natural point of aim

Boolit Grand Master
    What Mike said, for sure.

I am quite fond of my CZ-75B in 40 S&W. Steel frame and slide. Lead-friendly twist rate (1-16") and conventional rifling. Accuracy is every bit as good as any SIG P-226 or P-229 I've fired, and better than Glock 22/23 (jacketed bullets). MUCH cheaper than SIG, a little cheaper than Glock. Utterly, totally reliable for me--over 2,000 rounds fired, and I can't make it stoppage with either jacketed or cast boolits. PERFECT service/sport autopistol size for me, too--just like a Browning HP or Colt Commander. BHP holsters fit it perfectly, too.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I have a Beretta 8040 and a Ruger P91DC, as well as a Tanfoglio in 41 AE (similar cartridge). Since you aren't interested in a carry piece, the Berreta may or may not be your cup of tea. I despise the Ruger...not a bad gun but it doesn't fit me and I think it is ungainly in weight and size for me. The Tanfogio is the nicest of the three for just shooting at paper. I carry the Beretta a lot so I am most comfortable with it. All three have had at least 2000 rounds through them and I can see no difference in reliability at this point in time. There have been several post about the type of rifling used in a Glock...I'd likely stay away from one for that reason. My nephew carries a XDM professionally and he loves it. He is a bigger framed man than myself and likes the feel and fit of the XDM...it feels to bulky to my hand. Like Mike in Co said, it is really a personal choice you have to live with. Pick one YOU like the fit and feel of and you'll likely be happy. It seems that most of the major brands do not have reliability issues. That's my nickels worth....

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

That question is almost as difficult to answer as all the 9 vs .40 vs .45 arguments out there. And is very similar to the Chevy vs Ford ones as well. But, since you asked...
    I recently purchased a new .40. My top three choices were, in no specific order, the Glock, XDm, and M&P. Upon handling them (before firing even), I quickly ruled out the Glock due to how it felt in MY hands and it's "natural pointing" abilities (IN MY HANDS). That suited me fine because I have never really been much of a Glock fan anyway, just had to give it a fair shake. When it came down to the last two, the decision was very (did I say VERY?) difficult to make. The XD has a great reputation. S&W has had some issues with their semi-autos in the past. All the current reviews gave both guns stellar reviews. For ME, both seemed to naturally point very well, with a very slight edge going to the M&P. Both had interchangeable grips to accommodate different sized hands (the XD does not but the XDm does) and both felt great in the grip. The M&P was about $70 cheaper than the XDm. After reviewing all these pros and cons, I realized I was to the point of almost grasping for straws in my decision. The tie-breaker was where it was made. The XDs are made in Croatia. The M&P is made in the USA. I bought the M&P and have been very happy with it. The only down side of the M&P is the trigger is a bit rough at first, but with only a couple hundred rounds it smoothes out quite well. There are a few great gunsmiths that work their magic on them and make the M&P trigger as smooth as anything else out there, generally charging around $65 for the trigger job.

Now, my next decision is not going to be quite as difficult as this one, but it will probably be the same thing but in the .45acp.

There are so many truly great .40s out there, it is hard to find a bad one.

Good luck in your decision. Be safe and have fun.

Happy shooting!

Moderator Emeritus

Beretta 96, magazine will take even the heaviest boolits (220gr TC) Very good accuracy, and you don't need to buy an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead. Beretta PX4 Storm is another good one, magazine big enough for those same 220gr TC boolits without having to seat too deep. Both pistols seem bred for lead, at least mine are.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

I am a 1911 die hard but I was in a gun store about 2 years ago and I was looking for a 45 1911 or something very close so the gun dealer hands me a cz 40b i don't know if you are familiar with this model but it is a cz 75 but shaped like a 1911 sort of this is the most reliable auto I have very owned .
    My idea of gun control is a firm grip

I have 2 40s&w guns, one is a glock 23 and the other is an STI Edge. The Edge is by far my favorite gun but it is not with in that price range. In that range I think the CZ is what I would choose.

Boolit Master

I have a 40 XDm. I like it. It is fairly new to me and I am still working with it. I have had difficulty getting it to digest cast bullets, but that is about solved now I feel. There is are two threads about that on here. Do a search for posts I have started. I like how it feels in my hands, and it shoots nice, although I had expected more in the acuracy department. Probably that will improve as I experiment more. Maybe it would do better with jacketed.

Boolit Master

I once had a Glock in .40 cal and managed to trade it straight up for a Sig, also in .40.
    The Sig seems to be about the best semi-auto handgun that I have ever owned in fit and function. I'm not surprised that the MA State Police use Sigs.

Jack

Boolit Master

If you get a sig you have 3 guns. You can change barrels and shoot the 357 sig and another barrel and the 9mm.
    Dont let anyone tell you it cant be done . I have a 226 and it will work in 9mm and not miss fire
    If you are going to shoot cast forget a piece of glock

If you're not going to carry it, why consider something with a plastic frame? There is a big difference in felt recoil and shootability between steel framed guns and plastic framed guns. The extra mass of the steel frame helps a lot, especially in a snappy round like the .40

In order of preference for me (I've owned all in .40 S&W except the Witness was a 10mm, the Sig was a .45 and the XDM's belonged to friends):

1) 1911
    2) CZ non-decocker models
    3) CZ clone (Tangfolio Witness)
    4) Sig
    5) Beretta 96
    6) XDM
    7) Glock

Yes, the spacing after the first three is intentional. All of these are good reliable guns, this list is based in order of how comfortable they are to shoot, and accuracy (in the case of the 1911, accuracy potential, because if you get a bad shooter, it's pretty easy to make it right).

Even though it's less money, the CZ's are far and away a better shooting gun than the XDM. Even the CZ Compact .40 is more accurate and easier to shoot than the full sized XDM. If you have to choose between the XDM and a Glock, the XDM is a better shooter and more accurate, but the Glock has more aftermarket "stuff".

If you don't need a new gun, you can get a good 1911 in your price range, check GunsAmerica from time to time.

Well, I have a Glock model 22.
    I bought it some years ago because it felt good in my hand and it was light weight.
    I bought a Lone Wolf barrel so I can shoot lead (That was the only thing I have against the Glock)
    It shoots great and is very accurate.
    I have had no problems with it and have no intentions of replacing it.

Boolit Master
    I do not own a 40 S&W mostly because I own 9mm and 45 ACP hand guns. You can make a case that a 40 S&W is more potent than a 9 and penetrates better than a 45 but I do not buy it. I have shot just about every type of 40 S7W currently on the market but have not owned one. If I were to buy one I would look seriously at either a CZ 75 or clone of same if you want a steel framed gun and it you want lighter weight I would look at the S&W M&P or the XDM. If you want to save money look at a Ruger. I have a p89 in 9mm and a P90 in 45 acp and neither one of them has ever jammed or malfunctioned on me and I have several thousand rounds through each. If you want to spend the money a 1911 is a hard act to follow.

Boolit Grand Master
    Add-on.......my uniform duty sidearm for the last 5 years of my career was a Beretta 96. It ran flawlessly with both jacketed and cast, and matched the SIGs for accuracy. Its only "flaw"--and this is really splitting hairs--was its large size. It makes up for that faux pas by being the most elegantly-designed service pistol of the modern era makes. They're pretty.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Dale2242, since you started this. I can't tell you about my 40, because I do not have one. If you have a 45, and it works, why spend all that money for another gun in a different caliber when you already have what you need? Use that money to slick up that 45 and feed it. Nothin' better that a really 'sweet' 45.

Unless you just want too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast