MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 6.5

Lee 6.5

After about a 18 month wait, I just got my Lee bullet mold for my swed. They drop out of the mold at 177.4 grns and .268 dia. I have a mod 96 swed, the barrel is .265. Some questions if you will.

What would be the best size to size them too and is there a chance I could shoot the them unsized?

About what velocity should I shoot them for best results?

Anybody got any pet loads for this?

I would love any help I could get.

Boolit Master
    OH NO!!! Here we go again!!! Hang on just a bit and you will get more help than you hoped for.
    No offence ment friend its just that the questions you asked always seem to bring out the best in folks.
    I am not sure which one of the two you got, the cruis missle or the caribiner. Even though I have both I have not really done much work with either but have kinda watched the comotion when others have asked the same thing. I think the general consensis is about 1700 fps max. You will get more help than I can offer accept hold onto your hat!
    BIC/BS
    BIC/BS
    Last edited by Bullshop; 10-14-2009 at 01:20 AM.

It will be said they cant be shot at high speed. It will be said yes I did too. I say so what--even at 2700 fps you aint matching a 30-06 and I say if you did shoot at that speed so what? It doesnt pay as if you shot 10 under par on the Masters.

Moderator Emeritus
    Try them as cast and see what happens.

Some members here shoot tight groups at high velocity with the Swede but not evidently using customary reloading proceedures.

They think that itheir proceedure is too risking to share on an open forum, you can put your own value on that.

Therefore for starters the current wisdom of keeping velocity under 1700 fps for good accuracy holds true using standard and described reloading practices.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Moderator Emeritus
    BTW by "barrel is .265" do you mean bore or groove diameter?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    Some members here shoot tight groups at high velocity with the Swede but not evidently using customary reloading proceedures.

They think that itheir proceedure is too risking to share on an open forum, you can put your own value on that.

Therefore for starters the current wisdom of keeping velocity under 1700 fps for good accuracy holds true using standard and described reloading practices.

A lot of people don't follow directions OR even read them. Some things require some instruction so you don't do something STUPID. Just why would somebody put out information, that requires some intelligence to use, that could be used incorrectly and possibly cause harm?

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    The swedes generally have a nice tapered long throat. No reason not to try as cast and bump down a thousandth or two as needed. If it chambers of course.

Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    A lot of people don't follow directions OR even read them. Some things require some instruction so you don't do something STUPID. Just why would somebody put out information, that requires some intelligence to use, that could be used incorrectly and possibly cause harm?

If we follow that line of logic we should outlaw loading manuals. After all, if you don't follow the directions you could do something stupid and hurt yourself. Personaly I think if whatever you're doing is so dangerous it would probably be considered less than a bright idea by most people.

But then I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't see the purpose of such a load. If you want to shoot something large and hairy it can be done with a load at 1700 fps and if you don't do something stupid it will work just fine. Paper can be killed with much less velocity. I have plenty of other calibers to work with that provide plenty of power and velocity with published data that don't require any "secret voodoo". I think the whole subject is a large waste of bandwidth.

BK
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

It ain't what I KNOW, it's "How fast can I look it up?"
    Me

I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it.
    Captain Woodrow F. Call

If we follow that line of logic we should outlaw loading manuals. Reloading manuals ARE instructive, they have to be. After all, if you don't follow the directions you could do something stupid and hurt yourself. Just like driving a car, Huh....Those things kill a lot of people because they don't pay attention (the cause of 95% of accidents) Personaly I think if whatever you're doing is so dangerous it would probably be considered less than a bright idea by most people. Beats walking to town, doesn't it.

But then I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't see the purpose of such a load. Some guys here like shooting prairie dogs, makes it much easier at 2400 fps or so. Lighter recoil etc. If you want to shoot something large and hairy it can be done with a load at 1700 fps and if you don't do something stupid it will work just fine. Please, make sure no one that you don't want hurt is with you when you do that, and make sure your life insurance is paid up. You want to take chances with your own life, fine but don't subject others to it. Paper can be killed with much less velocity. I have plenty of other calibers to work with that provide plenty of power and velocity with published data that don't require any "secret voodoo". Thats somebody else's words, which was less than a snappy reply. I think the whole subject is a large waste of bandwidth. You seem to be happy with low velocity, your choice, but others do want to know how.

Boolit Master
    Told ya!
    BIC/BS

Why would someone put out non information and beat around the bush? May as well remain silent.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    What is the risky part? Tight necks. ... felix
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    What is the risky part? Tight necks. ... felix

Joe's load was 31 gr of 4350 with a 129 gr. cast in the 6.5 Swede. Look in your reloading manuals and tell us about it.

The manuals I have, Bob, don't have pressure traces for their loads. ... felix
    felix

The manuals I have, Bob, don't have pressure traces for their loads. ... felix
    AA Data: 4350 129 HDY SP 41.4 2,423 46.0 2,753 50,300

Hogdon Data:
    129 GR. HDY SP IMR IMR 4350 .264" 2.935" 42.0 2584 40,000 CUP 46.0 2793 45,800 CUP

Note the charges and pressures, compare potential case capacities.
    Last edited by 45 2.1; 10-14-2009 at 02:59 PM.

What was Joe's load in comparison? ... felix
    felix

What was Joe's load in comparison? ... felix

He reported 31.0 gr. of AA4350 @ about 2200 fps
    Last edited by 45 2.1; 10-14-2009 at 02:54 PM.

I assume his accuracy approximately equals that of the jacketed load you exhibited. In that situation, his pressure would have to be at least 35-40K in my opinion to make that same 4350 burn fair enough with that boolit. He would need a filler in that standard case, and, of course, those used could supply additional energy to keep the pressure more even throughout the barrel. The stick machine gun powder should be about what the doctor ordered. There is too much case capacity left over to play the tight neck game with that 4350 powder speed. Naturally, the cases can be filled with lead giving the proper amount of case capacity, and primer flame hole drilled all the way through making 31 grains of 4350 safe. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 10-14-2009 at 03:33 PM.
    felix

I assume his accuracy approximately equals that of the jacketed load you exhibited. Accuracy was 1/2" at 100 yds for the lead load. In that situation, his pressure would have to be at least 35-40K in my opinion to make that same 4350 burn fair enough with that boolit. Which 31 gr. by itself wouldn't do. The load is lower than a starting load would be if used conventionally. He would need a filler in that standard case, and, of course, those used could supply additional energy to keep the pressure more even throughout the barrel. The stick machine gun powder should be about what the doctor ordered. True, but he used a faster powder than I do. There is too much case capacity left over to play the tight neck game with that 4350 powder speed. But it was played within 0.001" clearance. Naturally, the cases can be filled with lead giving the proper amount of case capacity, and primer flame hole drilled all the way through making 31 grains of 4350 safe. Not the correct method. A 30-06 military case was reformed, fireformed correctly and neck turned for proper clearance.... felix

There is more going on than meets the eye there. Should you want to talk more on this contact me and we'll have a long phone conversation.

In Remebrance

Well, at least I have my answer now. Maybe someday I'll talk to Bob about it.