RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I shoot a gas check design with out the gas check???

In Remebrance

Can I shoot a gas check design with out the gas check???

Yes, you can. But how accurate it will be depends on the design and the gun and load. If you go for moderate to slow speeds it tends to work better than if you push them to the max. IME the faster you push them, the more problems you have. Given a boolit that fits the gun to start with and a gas check shank that isn't boogered up (has a smooth and even circumference) they often they will shoot rather well, especially at short range.

I'm sure Ken will add the relevant posts as he can as there is a lot of discussion on this already and on how a GC functions. But, that paragraph will at least get it started.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

And so it begins! This thread is now a sticky.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    I also have questions about this. What is the reason that it would only perform satisfactorily at sort range? If the lead is filling the mold correctly, wouldn't the boolit normaly have a
    gas check shank that... has a smooth and even circumference
    If the boolit is a good cast, why would it being a gas check boolit make any difference? I'm glad someone posted this question.

Randy

Boolit Master
    Funny how it is a small world.
    I ordered a 6 cavity mold for 357 swc not noticing that it was a GC design.
    The boolit has 3 driving bands with 2 grease grooves and 1 crimp groove and I was thinking, "What is the difference between a BB and a GC without the check?"
    I had no 38 cal gas checks and could not use the lyman450 because the lube would nastyfy the boolit. So I resolved to use TL and size through a push through sizer.

Well, they worked great in my GP-100. I'm no world class pistolero but, these boolits were as good as anything else I ever used.

A short boolit might need the gas check to act as a driving band and help stabilize the boolit. Evidently longer boolits with plenty od driving band surface don't care.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Mold
    Have been using a 31141 for years in 06 /308 & 30-30 both with and without gc. only accuracy difference seems to show up with loads over 1600-1700 fps then the gc installed is more accurate. Squib and low velocity squirrel loads with no gc go 3/4 to 1-1/4 at 50 yds in 30-30.
    Pretty much the same as Bret4207 said
    Onward thru the Fog, cuz Liberty is NOT an option, It is a MUST.

Boolit Bub

gas checks

hello
    I shoot lot of pb and gc in pistols and rifles just keep them slow 35 rem with plain base 158 gr hp great deer load50-75 yd with unique 15 gr also in 308 160 gr no check have used 2400 love shooting reduced loads as I get old don't that need for speed.
    Don

Wink Just what I was looking for

Thanks from an old reloader and someone who is just getting equipped to cast.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum. I have learned much here and been entertained as well.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    It will shoot fine at pressures where you dont need a gas check....Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Smile

I think all folks that have a need for this information should send a PM or email to Waksupi. He has vast knowledge in this area and would probably share it with everyone asking. Waksupi helped me with a great problem I had while casting. I had asked about what to do with all the sprues I had accumulated after years of casting. I had 7 or 8 five gallon buckets full in the garage. Waksupi (Ric) told me that they were of no use and in fact could be hazerdus to the environment. He was nice enough to allow me to package and ship them all to him for disposal. We have some really thoughtful members on this board.

Nighthunter

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    A gas check design loaded without the gas check applied is no different than any HEEL boolit design. The heel bullet has been around ever since the first cartriges were load. Take a look at the lowly .22 long rifle(or all the cousins). I still shoot 41 Colt Heel boolits. My Ballard was chambered for the 38 Long.. a heel design.
    I have shot UN-gas checked boolits for a long time. If the lowest band has enough strength / mass to seal the developing preasure then it works for me. Rifle, pistol... If I am NOT dealing with high FPS then I try the "bare base" approach. There are tables that give the approximate pressure different lead mixes will withstand. Those tables are OK guidelines and can get you near the max pressure your bare boolit can take.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

lubing GC bullets without the GC

first machine a pine for your seizer die and have it countersunk to fit the shank of the gaz check bullet

here is a pics showing how the GC bullet shank should fit inside the pin

put the pin in seizer and lube has you would normally the bullet comes out lubed but with no lube on the shank
    very fast and easy

Boolit Master
    very good work

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I sure wish I had a buddy that did machine work I have so many items like the one above to ruin a friendship lol
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

wish

on this web site they are many who offer mold modification, GC making tool,
    seizing die etc etc that could take this idea and offer it to us cast bullet shooters

I would not be offended if one of them do take my idea and make this andy tool
    Canuck

Boolit Master
    That pin looks good. Maybe I got lucky, was able to adjust
    the lubeamatic so only a little lube gets in the GC shank,
    then just scrape it off with a thumbnail. They shoot fine!

lube on the GC shank may be an advantage to help cutting.I never worry about it.

missionary5155 said it well.

George

Boolit Master

Wouldn't lube on the GC shank migrate to the powder charge and kill/damage the powder?
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Mold
    did you shoot with out gas check because I have 400 boolits with out gascheck and I wanto to use it in my .308 it'll be ok my load it's 180gr boolit and 13grains green dot thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast