RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Changing alloy in Lee Bottom pour pot?

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

Changing alloy in Lee Bottom pour pot?

OK, may be the dumbest question yet, but here goes. I am just getting ready to start Boolits rather than dead soft RB's for C&B Pistols. When changing the alloy from DS to 20:1 for BP boolits how do I change to the new alloy, Drain from the spout, pick up the pot and dump out what can't fe ladled out or just add the other alloy?

Thanks,

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

MuddyCreekSam----As you have already ascertained, you need to empty the pot. Maybe you could siphon it out? When you stick the hose in and suck to get the siphon started, be pretty quick.

When I change alloys in a lee pot .I just dump out the old into the ingot mould and start fresh, ...I only have 10#ers so they are not heavy.....I pick them up and dump them ,, dont like running it through the spout,,,,,,,,,,,,Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Boolit Master

Here is where I do it differently.
    I cast my pot out. I set aside all the castings I make and start adding different alloy when the pot gets low enough. I have found, it is not that important to be precise as I can cast my castings and work up to the alloy I need.
    Essentially I schedule an alloy change. I like to keep my pot where the alloy is between hardness. In other words, I can go up, or down easily.
    It sounds complicated, but it is not.
    A lot of times, I keep the reject castings just to bump up the hardness when I change alloy.

Boolit Master
    Its a good idea to empty your pot often so that it can be cleaned of the debris that build up.
    Even though I use 4 different pots I still empty them often so they can be cleaned.
    I have found if you completely drain from the spout the last thing to go through is the junk. This will set up in the spout under the valve and cause leaking the next time you fill the pot. What I like to do is drain the contents down to about the last 3 to 4 pounds the set a few ingot molds together on the concrete floor and with heavy gloves on pick up the pot and pour the remainder out the top. I then leave the pot lying on its side until cool. This prevents the small amount of lead still on the side from settling back into the valve area. Makes it easier to remove all the parts for cleaning. Thats the way I do it right or wrong.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on Bullshops answer. Any oxides and trash that try to pass the pour valve will likely be the reason for your next complaint. (DRIP DRIP DRIP)
    If you've cast several pots of alloy, you'll be surprised at the amount of stuff clinging to the pot and the valve shaft. A clean pot works like a new pot, with experience.

Just for my own protection, bullshop, can you tell me where you grab the pot? Even with heavy gloves, that thing is HOT!

Boolit Master
    I hold onto one of the leggs of my RCBS pot with one hand and the other holds the upper outer green part to guid the pour.

Boolit Master
    I do like Bullshop except I leave my Lee 20-4 upside down until it cools. I grab the back with my left hand and the leg that holds the mold guide with my right. I pour the contents in an ingot mold and when it cools I mark it with a Sharpie as to it's alloy content. After all the alloy is out of the pot and it's still hot, I grab it by the base with it upside down and operate the pour handle vigorously to clear any crud from the spout.