MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A suggestion to the Mods and Owner

In Remebrance

A suggestion to the Mods and Owner

Every week, without fail, we get the question- "Can I shoot a gas check design w/o a gc???" I know about the stickies and all the places the info is noted, but since we have all the questions and all the posts on homemade GC making, maybe it's time for a "Gas Checks" section where all this can be accessed more easily. The "Classics and Stickies" doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Brett, the heck of it is, people seem to skip over the Classics and Sticky section, and not even attempt to look thing up themselves. Instant gratification is wanted. I suppose that is why when I would visit Der Colonel's page, you would repeatedly see the message to check the archives, or do a search.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Brutality might be the best recourse. Lock such threads with the notice to check the stickies - perhaps even provide a "jump" link.

Banned
    Maybe when a new member registers there is a like an agreement paragraph when you install new software on your pc and you have to click Agree or Disagree to continue your enrollment. Now wait a minute, I know most just click Agree because if they don't they software doesn't get installed. Maybe we could make reading the Agreement thingy more interesting. What I'm saying is somehow make the new member aware of just not jumping right in and asking questions without first looking at stickies or using search. Have to make them more aware of it.

Brets right on this one. It gets to the point where the old members don't want to keep going over the same thing. Ric is right too...instant gratification.

Joe

Boolit Master
    DUHHHHHHHHHH...

i brought this up myself a few months back.......

nothing happened......

for once i agree with rocky...lock it and tell them were to go look

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

In Remebrance

Well, as effective as "tough love" is with kids, I think it would be ineffective here. We have numerous threads on gas check making and the function of gas checks and all the opinion that goes with it. While I find the weekly "can I use a gc mould w/o the gc" MADDENING, I think we would be doing a service to the board to create a section for it. It may seem superfluous to add yet another specialized section, but considering the volume if posts related to gas checks it seems worthy of consideration.

Mike- Thank you for the thoughtful input. Duh says it all.

So, can I shoot a gas check design w/o a gc??

Banned
    The reason we put the book together was that topics covered in any forum, like this, go lower and lower on the page, and finally disappear. Forums do a poor job of saving the important info, it has to do with the architecture. We, some WE, know the answers to most questions about cast bullets. Any forum has construction that makes finding answers a little difficult. The book put the answers in one place.
    Now, the forum could take care of this problem with a FAQ place immediately under "CAST BULLETS". I'm prepared to help with the FAQ.
    joe b.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    Brutality might be the best recourse. Lock such threads with the notice to check the stickies - perhaps even provide a "jump" link.

Sometimes when a new guy does a search the right word or words aren't used and you get 57 pages to look thru. When that person goes thru about ten pages with only three post that are close but no cigar, then the evil new guy will just ask the darn question. I'm guilty of repeat posts but I've also searched two or three different forums looking for an answer. Please don't lock someone's post for what you think is an agrivating question, it doesn't make you or the forum look helpful or user friendly, JMHO.

Example being when I wanted to slug the throat, lead and bore of my rifle and wasn't using the right terms, I got answers from all over the spectrum and a bunch of them.
    Last edited by lead-1; 10-13-2009 at 12:04 PM.

desteve811--can I shoot a gas check design without a gas check? Depends. Now if its a 6.5 and the rpm is right,depending on color and smell of lube, maybe. The critical factor is was the alloy made in a muffin tin ingot mold. You probably didn't know a muffin tin can be used as an ingot mold? Never heard of anyone else doing it, but I did it once.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

I thought we took pride in transforming newbies into educated and helpful members here?

Did that mission get lost somewhere? I don't remember that discussion.
    If you don't feel inclined to repeat yourself then let someone else else drop in an answer the question that just learned it.

Personally I will remember back to just yesterday when I had to ask someone about a subject I was ignorant on.

This board was founded because I needed a place to get answers to casting questions that must have seemed silly to some but were genuine and important to me at the time.

Remember the mission, help not ridicule, content is respected , you can make a difference and make this board one that is renowned or you can make the experience distasteful and infer to others that the cost of taking part is not worth the effort.

How bout it? Can you step up?
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    You know what. I've never quite understood why people get SO upset when some new to the forum guy decides to post a question that a couple hundred other people have asked before. And this is my reasoning.

1 - Maybe he hasn't done a search. And is new enough to the concept of forum to not know that it can be searched.

2 - Maybe he has search, and can't find a clear answer in the 500 threads that got picked by the search engine.

3 - Maybe he did search, found what he was looking for, but it didn't completely answer his question and there is another part to it that he needs and/or wants to know.

4 - Maybe he did search, found what he was looking for and just didn't understand it. And wants someone to help explain it to him so that he can.

Now I know this doesn't apply to GCs much. But you know, I think instead of everyone getting upset because some new guy has posted a thread with a question we hear all the time, why don't we just go ahead and answer his question, explain to him that next time he should try to use the search funchtion. And remember that once upon a time you have been guilty of the same thing too.

My .02
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

In Remembrance
    Once you have answered the same question fifty times, there are fifty newbys out there who know the answer. If you just quit answering that question, one (or more) of them will jump up to say, "I know...I know!"
    You can watch them answer it a couple of times, just to make sure they have it right, then ignore that thread title in the future.

That leaves you free to answer truly important queries such as, "Is four inches of lead-free solder enough to sweeten a pot of w/w?"

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in for what it's worth from a still wet behind the ears newb on this site.
    I think Bret's thought on a gas check section would be good, gas check is a pretty broad topic w/ lots of opinions and ideas.
    Also I think if someone posts a question that seems repetitive first we should check and see if it really is, do the search real quick using some of their wording if you can find the answer w/in the first page of results then link it to them on the post it on their thread, then boom end of discussion. The newb gets an answer and also has been shown by a senior member of CB on how to find answers. Lets not just give these guys a fish lets teach em how. Heck thats how I was taught everything about CB, reloading, hunting ect. I was not just given the answer I was taught how to get the answers. I believe this would be better (read easier and less frustrating) on the old salts and more enlightening to the newbs.
    One of the first posts I reviewed on the site was like that somone asked a repeat question then somone else said your answer is here and you can search some of your questions here.
    Before I posted my first thread I remembered that and did a quick search. I didn't want to feel like a dummy for asking a repeat. and I dont think I have ... Yet.
    Correcting/Teaching someone like this is polite and blunt all at once. No hurt feelings No further wasted time. Moderators lock, delete, what ever repeated thread and we are done.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm fairly new here still, but this is my take on it. Sometimes the search features don't work right or you don't phrase it right or whatever and the computer just blinks at you. The reason why I like to be on this forum is that the people here seem like they enjoy helping, educating others. Maybe just reference someone who has asked a dumb question to a thread and move on.

be

Boolit Grand Master

If we don't take every opportunity to teach the newbie, and encourage them to ask for answers to ALL their questions, We will soon be just an old farts club discussing only the weather and our aches and pains.
    If 5000 newbies ask the same question, and all get a respectful answer, there will be 5000 more of us to help the next 5000.
    We either grow by inviting and investing in the newbies or we stagnate and die off like the Fall leaves.

Boolit Master
    I know many members of this site also belong to other forums -- I belong to one other. Now, I don't want to appear to be un-helpful, but how many times have you seen a new member ask the same question (copy and paste) on another forum? I think that person isn't looking to learn, but looking for the easy way out and is too lazy to do his own research.

We have stickies for Kroil, how many pounds does a bucket of wheel weights weigh?, etc., so why not one for gas checks?

Mike, whatta ya mean "for once?" LOL!

I realize that the search function doesn't always work and that new members might not know how to navigate the board (in addition to their other areas of little knowledge.) That's why I suggested posting a link to EXACTLY where his newbie question is answered.

I keep a file of answers to questions I get tired of answering. When I think that an answer is required, I'll C&P my boilerplate answer. Saves my typing fingers for the 50 or so emails on reloading I get every week - many of which also ask the same things again and again.

Moderator Emeritus

There was a movement afoot awhile back to create a wiki with FAQ kinda questions answered in it. I think CA Plater was the one most interested. Maybe it is time to revive an FAQ / Wiki and start with the how much does a bucket weigh? Can I use a GC bullet without one? etc questions.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    I'm sorry, but I only know two good uses for a forum. It's either to teach or to learn. If you start biting people for asking questions, no matter how innane they may be or how many times YOU have seen the answers, you wont be doing either one.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast