WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: First group Win 94, 26", Lee 312-185R!

Boolit Buddy

First group Win 94, 26", Lee 312-185R!

The rifle is a Winchester 94, 26" octagon, 30-30, made in 1967, scope is an old Weaver K 2.5 with water in the eye piece right next to where I needed clear glass.

Boolit is Lee's 312185 cast from range lead, sized .311, gas checked, Alox lubed. Charge was 14 gr of 2400.

Temp was freezing in the 60's, wind was too much and too variable, eyes couldn't see the crosshairs and target very well.

Shot 1 was off the paper, 2 was barely on, adj the scope and shot 3 and 4 with the crescent butt on the shoulder. Ouch. Re adj the scope and shot a five shot group with the butt on the arm just outboard of the shoulder.

Crescent butt plates are made to shoot off the arm and it works, so does the 312185.

In Remembrance
    Canadian Centennial?
    Had one once dang nice guns and accurate as you found out. That eyepiece may screw off and you can dry it out.

Life is good

In Remembrance

Brrrrrrrrrr!

It was 37 degrees this a.m. when I headed out for my leg therapy. I`d love to be freezing my keister off in 60 degree weather. Nice shooting with the winnie canuck. I gave 1 to a pard in Fla.some years back for cowboy action use, he freezes his rear off up here in 70 degree weather.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, Canadian Centennial 94. Now to get a front sight that is the right height and that I can see.

I'll take the eyepiece off, wipe it out and put some desiccant packs in the tube with the eyepiece on for a while.

I have used the Lee 312185 in my Marlin 30-30 CB with a 24 inch barrel and have ttaken 3 deer with it, one at 140 paces. I use a Weaver peep sight and Marlin factory sight. While I size it down to 309 it is still a very accurate bullet. For alloy I use chilled #4 birdshot mixed half and half with #9 which gives about 1.5% antinmony and then add a little tin. Size then oven temper for an hour at 450 and drop into cold water (standard method) 24 grains of RE7 which gives about 1900 over the chronograph (give or take) For the deer loads I anneal the noses with a propane torch by leaving the bases in a shallow tray of water. While it is something of a pain you really do not need that many. Shoots the same as with the unannealed noses. So far it has been very effective.

Northmn

Boolit Buddy
    Three deer agree, cast boolits are great for hunting!

I forgot to mention that I use a flatnose nose punch when I size them to give a flatnose. Whether neccessary??

Northmn

Good shooting!

Does the bore riding nose of that .312 Lee boolit need any force to chamber it in a .30 cal bore? Just curious as to whether the bullet would stay in the barrel if one wanted to remove a chambered round. Thanks
    NRA Life Memeber