Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: New to handguns

Boolit Master

New to handguns

Well i have shot about 120 rounds out of my new Ruger Redhawk. I have adjusted the rear site so my groups are good for height. Now i have to adjust the front site. I have never had to adjust one before, an i am looking for assistance.
    My groups are consistently 4 " (to the center of the group) to the right of aiming point. If i understand correct i have to move the front sight to the right as you are looking at it from the pistol grip.

Before i start adjusting i would like to know about how much i will have to move the sight, an about how much force it will take to move it. Besides any other inf. i need before starting. What tools should i use, What precautions should i take.

Boolit Master

The only time you would adjust the front sight would be if there is no way to adjust the rear sight.
    I know of no Ruger Red Hawlk without an adjustable rear sight, so all of your adjustments will be at the rear sight
    Tip; adjust the rear sight in the direction you wish the bullet to go.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

Yes, the rear sight has windage adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    The only time you would adjust the front sight would be if there is no way to adjust the rear sight.
    I know of no Ruger Red Hawlk without an adjustable rear sight, so all of your adjustments will be at the rear sight
    Tip; adjust the rear sight in the direction you wish the bullet to go.
    hickory is right on but please dont try to move the front site it wount it has a plunger in the front to remove it but it wount move side to side
    My idea of gun control is a firm grip

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Well i have shot about 120 rounds out of my new Ruger Redhawk. I have adjusted the rear site so my groups are good for height. Now i have to adjust the front site. I have never had to adjust one before, an i am looking for assistance.
    My groups are consistently 4 " (to the center of the group) to the right of aiming point. If i understand correct i have to move the front sight to the right as you are looking at it from the pistol grip.

Before i start adjusting i would like to know about how much i will have to move the sight, an about how much force it will take to move it. Besides any other inf. i need before starting. What tools should i use, What precautions should i take.
    I would suggest that you shoot from some sort of a makeshift rest to be certain that it isn't you--also have someone else who is proficent with shooting a revolver shoot it to see if the gun shoots to the right of your poa...let's just say I did this and was humbled by the experience.

Boolit Buddy

The Redhawk front sight is removeable, but not adjustable. You can replace it with one of a different height if you can find one or have one made. But this will only help with moving the point of impact up or down, not side to side. For side to side adjustments, there's a screw on the right side of the rear sight. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Pistol shooting has a lot more to do with the shooter and his grip than the sights. I have seen numerous shooters new to hand guns shoot right or left of center and when I tried the pistol it shot center. A lot has to do with how you hold it and if you are putting side pressure on the trigger. Try resting the revolver on a sand bag and concentrate with a trigger squeeze directly in line with the barrel with the hammer cocked for a single action pull. If you are still shooting right move the rear sight left on click for each inch to the right you are shooting. This shoot center you group one way or another. I got to say that my first revolver was a Ruger black hawk in 357 mag. You are already ahead of my first effort as I did not hit the paper.