Titan ReloadingPBcastcoInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Good day at the range

Boolit Master

Good day at the range

Buckshot and I along with Larry, a friend went to the range yesterday. It was a bit cooler that high in the mountains but taken allround, a nice day. Lets face , any day shooting is good. As usual I didn't have many rounds loaded since my last casting session was a bust. In order to have something to shoot I looked through my cabinets untill I found some 6mm rounds I loaded in 2000, with jacketed bullets no less. Oh the shame of it all. I will recite Elmer Kieth's name 200 times. I only had eight rounds of cast bullets loaded. They were for my 38.55. However Buckshot came through again. He let my try some 38.55 ammo loaded with twenty grains of 4759 and some exotic wading material. More about that later. That stuff shot like a champ in his rifle or mine. Buckshot also brought along a Sharps replica in 45.90 made by the little known but highly regarded Italian firm of Gussippi Linguini. He brought along one hundred rounds of 45.90 ammo and told Larry and I to fire away. Since the rifle is rather light I expected substantial recoil but it just was not there. Now, about Buckshots reloading technique. I have learned through an anonymous source that Buckshot recites an ancient mystical incantaion while reloading, I am sure you have heard it in your childhood. It goes something like this, eye of newt, lips of toad, nose hair of Obama. The idea being to summon the dark spirits to impart some magical super powers on the bullets, that is, higher velocity, resistance to gravity and less recoil. I can attest that it is certianly true about the recoil. I don't have a sore jaw today and I wasn't using a cheek pad. I am attaching some pictures of us firing the 45.90. I am the one in the wool cap, Larry is the handsome fellow with the silver hair and of course Buckshot completes the shooting team of Manny, Moe And Jack. You will notice that all the pictures of me are from the back without any pictures of my face. I will tell you right now it has nothing to do with any outstanding warrants from another state. Those charges were all bogus anyway. I would never do those things to a statue. In the pictures you can see we are shooting at a large rock high on the mountain side. It looked like it was up to no good. Don't tell the Siarra club. I am also attaching pictures of some 30.30 Winchester brass I picked up at the range.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 04-19-2011 at 08:04 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Moderator Emeritus

Looks like a fine day at the range.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Lucky guys, I had to cut grass today. But I have been out to the range one day this week.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master
    looks like a good time was had by all. Me, I'm whittling away at an old pecan tree that we had taken down. If it didn't fir in the cart, then it got dragged by my john deere tractor. I gotta burn pile you would not believe. Gonna be fun to get that pile lit up. Frank

Boolit Master

Pecan wood makes great smoker or BBQ fuel. Also for the fireplace...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Looks like a great day was had by all. Also looks like Buckshot is still eating too many of these HOT Burritos he bought for me when I paid him a visit a couple of years ago or is it just that he wearing a heavy jacket.
    Ron.

FESTINA LENTE

Banned

You fellas are in big trouble for having so much fun. Local rock eaters can ingest lead and turn to gravel!

Banned

he found a pile of polished 30-30 brass, now thats something.
    it's still snowing here... gotta love spring.

Boolit Master

Banana bread

Ron from Melbourne, I remember your visit well. If you recall, you and I were shooting my model 29 S&W 44 mag at the 200 yard gong. I enjoyed having you visit our range as much as you did. As for Buckshot and the hot burritos, it is not entirely his fault. I have been feeding him banana bread that my wife makes. The stuff is delicious. I have got the range master hooked on it also. I even used it to bribe the man with on this last visit. We wanted to shoot on a portion of the range that was not open so we could have three benches together and he did't want to cover both ranges. When I said the banana bread is riding on your decision. He caved. Ron, come back anytime. If you could spare the time on you next visit we could take you to the desert, or as you would say down under, the outback.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Super Moderator

.............Ron, Also looks like Buckshot is still eating too many of these HOT Burritos. I AM cutting down and believe it or not haven't eaten any ice cream in a month BTW,

Might as well do a range report I guess. Me, Glen (Gopher Slayer) and Larry went to the range . Larry just brought his Savage M93 22 rifle and a Ruger Mk3 Gov't 22 auto. Glen brought his Uberti Hi-Wall 38-55, a scoped M98 Mauser sporter in 6mm Rem, and a Ruger BH 357. For the BH he had a coffee can of of assorted 357 mag ammo he'd accumilated over some length of time. Especially exciting to me (sitting next to him) was that the ammo's parentage and loadings were unknown!

I took my M93 Marlin 38-55 and my Uberti Hi-Wall 38-55, and the 45-90 Sharps. For the two 38-55's I had a new load I wanted to try in both. The boolit was a Lee GB (6 cav) of a 270gr Loverin type FNPB loaded over 20.0grs of SR4759/cardwad/dacron in Starline 2.125" brass. Before firing for group I fired 2 rounds into the hillside from each rifle. Both were fired at 50 yards. The Hi-Wall put 4 rounds cutting each other into a .73" group but dropped one a full bullet diameter low. The Marlin put 3 into a .58" group with one a bit high and (naturally) one exactly 180º opposite for a 1.4" group. The Hi-Wall had an apurture up front and the Marlin had a bead which covered the whole 3" bull, so that's my alibi!

I was happy considering unscaled slugs from a 6 cavity mould, and thrown charges. The Sharps was brought along as simply something to shoot (plink with). The ammo for it had been loaded at the tail end of 2008 and was a Lee GB 460 - 350 - FN over 32.0 grs of Nobel Tubal 2000, which I call T2K. It is just like 4198 and happily I managed to nab 32 lbs of it when Graf was clearancing the Nobel line. The slug sat on a cardwad and there was dacron over the powder. I'd loaded 100 rounds and had 67 of'em left in the MTM box. Above the 300 yard line there was a big rock (you can see it in the upper RH corner of the 4th and fifth photo) that was about the size of 2 refridgerators side by side. As the hillside was sloping upward and due to foreshortening I'd say it was maybe 350 yards or so?

After shooting the two 38-55's I got the Sharps, fired a shot at 50 yards and found that's where it'd been fired last, so wound the tang sight up a judicious amount, and let fly at the big rock. Glen was watching through his scope but I could see that the slug had tossed up dirt on the rock. I cranked the tang sight up 2 more judicious amounts and this time I saw a puff of white off the upper end of the rock, with Glen calling it a foot below the top. I wound the tang down 1/4 guesstimated amount and had it in the center, or close enough.

Glen and I had fun pounding the rock shooting offhand, with Larry declining to join the fun. After awile we decided it was no challange so we picked another rock at the same distance that looked to be about the size of a medium sized ice chest (This was what we were aiming at in the photo's) . This time we didn't hit it every shot, but it was more fun and Larry finally decided he couldn't stand it and gave the rock a couple whacks. All in all we fired 53 rounds at the 2 rocks and hit it regularly enough to be proud of ourselves.

The most fun has been had shooting offhand. The 6mm Rem Glen was shooting was shooting jacketed ammo he'd loaded in 2000. It was a 100gr Sierra SP over 4895, and he was picking off small rocks and bits of target board legs left here and there up to 250 yards away (where it slopes up to the 300 yard line). He was shooting off the bench and wanted us to take his picture because he was shooting jacketed ammo . He said it was fun shooting targets of opportunity like that, but he said, "Where's the challange in it?"

...................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Are those shooting benches homemade?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    ... Now, about Buckshots reloading technique. I have learned through an anonymous source that Buckshot recites an ancient mystical incantaion while reloading, I am sure you have heard it in your childhood. It goes something like this, eye of newt, lips of toad, nose hair of Obama. ...
    I'm good with the eye of newt and the lips of toad; but that third ingredient (where's the barfing smiley?) I wouldn't use.

Robert

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    Are those shooting benches homemade?
    ...........I don't know who made them. The main range has a covered concrete line with similar but more substantial anchored benches. These benches served their purpose. While I didn't spend much time studying them I think they had those pipe thread leg adaptor deals bolted to a simple plywood top.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

G'day Glen, sorry didn't recognise you from the photos. If you had been holding the Mod 29 I sure would have, darn near broke my hand firing the beast of a thing, still it was fun even though I didn't hit the gong.

Yes I would love to come back for a holiday but like most who are on personal superannuation, I lost a bundle during the world financial crash and don't see me regaining the lost ground any time soon.

Having said that, I might need a holiday in about 18 months because I want to catch up on family who are still living in Scotland and Spain. I thought that I might also pay a visit to my cousin who lives in Myrtle Beach SC. He is American born and yougest son of my grandmothers sister (great aunt?) on my fathers side. His parents left Scotland in 1928. A quick flit over to the west coast might be in order if the cash lasts that long. I will be sure to let Al know and he can pass it on.

Sorry to hear that the range I met you at has been closed. Is this permanent or is it likely to reopen in the future?

My regards, to Ric, Al and the rest of the shooters I met on my visit.
    Ron.

FESTINA LENTE