WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: 45-90 duplex load

45-90 duplex load

I've been thinking about working up a 45-90 duplex load. I've done this in the past using 6 grains of RL7 and 66 grains (by vloume) of 2f GOEX and a large rifle primer. This new load would be essentially the same only I'd be using 5.4 grains of 2400 and a 520 grain slug. Have any of you tried duplexing with 2400?
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry, have not used 2400. Have used 4227, 4759, and RL-7. RL-7 is my favorite and first choice for duplexing (40/65, LOTS, 45/70, some, and 45/90 a bit. I settled on 10% duplex as being most practical but have used up to 20% in strong actions.

Dale53

Boolit Master

I used 10 gr Rel 7 and 60 gr 2F Goex in my Shiloh. It shot well out to 1000 yds. Never tried it past that.
    Gus

In Remembrance
    Gus, that load WAS in a .45-90? What weight bullet...?
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Yes, a 45-90 Shiloh, 530gr Lyman Postell bullet, .060 poly wad, Win LR primer. That is the rough equivalent of a straight 90gr black powder load.
    Gus

I put more than 100 rounds through my 45-90 Sharps today. Half was with 5 grains of 2400 and a compressed load of 65 grains of GOEX 2F and rest was with 7 grains of RL7 and a compressed load of 64 grains of Ctg. grade GOEX. Both of these loads shot very very well. Once dialed in I consistantly hit the 400 yard gong every time. At 100 yards, the RL7 load grouped at 11/2 inches while the 2400 load when more like 21/2". I could tune this more as I used mixed cases and less than perfect bullets. I used two differnet bullets for the test. The first was a Lyman Postell sized .460 and lubed with Whitelightning lube, the other was an LBT Postell-type with a .459 nose. It too was sized to .460 and lubed with WL. I could easily shoot 15-20 shots in sequence without wiping and without blow tubing. Leading was very mild. I really like this duplexing stuff. Loads of fun and clean shooting.
    R J Talley

Boolit Grand Master

Using duplex instead of straight black is like being let out of prison. I HATE blow tubes. You can literallly shoot all day without fouling problems. Clean up is a snap (as it is with straight black). Unfortunately, NRA BPCR Silhouette does not allow duplex loads.

I will probably hunt with a 45/70 this fall and it will probably be duplex. I have strong actions and could use heavy loads of smokeless but duplex gives me all of the power that I need.

Dale53

Boolit Bub
    10 gr Rel 7, This will blow all fouling out. Reduce your Black by 15 grains. Nye sayers be gone.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cjensen View Post
    10 gr Rel 7, This will blow all fouling out. Reduce your Black by 15 grains. Nye sayers be gone.
    the thread is over 10 years old.

Yup. I bought that 45-90 about two years befor that post. Still have it and that load is still a keeper
    R J Talley

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the follow up.