Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee trouble

Boolit Buddy

Lee trouble

I recently recieved a lee 6 cavity mould and love the fast production but not sure it's worth the trouble. First the spure plate pivot bolt kept coming loose so I installed a set screw. The next casting session I was having problems with sprue plate not closing all the way. When I finished the session there was gauling on the top of the sprue plate where it goes under the stop bolt. When I pulled the sprue plate off there was a bunch of gauling under the spure plate pivit bolt mostly on the mould block it's self. I assume since I installed the set screw Lee won't take it back under warranty. I need help, can i fix this mess myself? How can I prevent it from happening again? Can I polish the top of the mould block with sand paper on a piece of Glass?

Any suggestions other than I give up casting.

I never had any problems with my Lyman, Rcbs or NEI moulds.

Thanks in advance

Moderator Emeritus

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=32584
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47669
    Here's a few opinions on what to do. We generally call it " Leementing".
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

And do a search on Bullplate sprue plate lube. This product will eliminate galling of the sprue plate and mold top and is great for pivot point and alignment pin lube, as well.
    Cloudpeak

Banned

Use Bullplate like Cloudpeak says, plus he's in AK too! Welcome to the board. Until you can get some Bullplate, either don't cast with the Lee or use a good silicone die lubricant or any of the pure dry silicone sprays (NOT the spray lubes that have oil in them). This is an absolute must for Lee moulds or any aluminum mould. Apply to blocks and both sides of the plate with a Q-tip while at casting temp, wipe off excess after it has "soaked in" a bit. Do this after removing the plate and block-sanding the plate and mould top with 400-grit wet-or-dry wetted with water and a piece of plate glass like you mentioned.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    I assume since I installed the set screw Lee won't take it back under warranty.
    Not necessarily. My new Lee 6 banger 358-158-RF was way undersized. I too had the set screw come loose and slight galling...even after lubing. I added setscrews on the screws to keep them from backing out.
    Anyways, I wrote them a letter and email explaining the undersized bullets and what I did with the setscrews. The still replaced the mold. But again, my main problem was undersizing.

I would drop them an email and explain what happened. Wait a few days for a response before proceeding.

Good luck!

Boolit Buddy

Thanks all

I spent the day working on my mould and I think it is going to survive. I have one question. I know there are three wave washers one for the sprue plate pivot, one for the sprue plate stop where does the third one go?

Does the third wave washer go on the sprue plate handle ?

I did the same thing when I first started with a Lee 6 cav, smeared lead so bad it cut a groove in the blocks and plate.
    I used wet sandpaper and got the blocks cleaned up and put a new sprue plate on the mould. Now that have been useing Bull plate sprue lube no smears, good stuff!

Bob