Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: J-word identity crisis..........

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

J-word identity crisis..........

First of all, put away the pitchforks and torches. I'm only asking a J-word question
    out of curiosity!

I was rummaging around, rearranging my shop yesterday and found a heavy plastic bag containing at least 10lbs of shiney military looking bullets (note spelling, so as not to defile the holy lead). I miked one at .310, weighs 130.4 grains and they are all fmj boat tail spitzers. These were no doubt bulk purchased by my deceased friend who left a bunch of this to me. I'm still sorting it out.

It suddenly occured to me that the gods were smiling.......a nice light (very) ball load for the 7.62x54 or a slightly heavy ball load for the 7.62x39...in either case some cheap shooting. The weight baffles me though, seems kinda "in between". Anyone ever come across something like these in a military round?

Edit: Moderator, if this is in the wrong section, please move at your discretion. Thanks!
    Last edited by 3006guns; 10-07-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Comment to moderator

In Remembrance

That is in the ball park for the 7.62x39 round and I have torn down some arsenal loaded 7.62x54R that were loaded with 130 gr. bullets. Check Accurate Arms web site for loads using their 1680 powder. These make good trading stock also as people are looking for them with the prices going nuts.Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    That is in the ball park for the 7.62x39 round and I have torn down some arsenal loaded 7.62x54R that were loaded with 130 gr. bullets. Check Accurate Arms web site for loads using their 1680 powder. These make good trading stock also as people are looking for them with the prices going nuts.Robert
    That would me my educated guess as well. Are they by any chance copper washed steel jacketed bullets??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Thanks for the replies...... they're bright gilding metal, like a commercial bullet but definately magnetic. There is a crimping groove about halfway up. Not a cannelure but an honest to gosh crimping groove with a slight bevel...like a cast pistol bullet.

No matter what they are they're gonna get stuffed into some 7.62x39 cases. Should alleviate my shortage a bit.....life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    Anyone ever come across something like these in a military round?
    The standard 7.62 x 39 bullet is 129 - 130 grains and a nominal .310 - .311 dia. Copper coated steel jackets or steel cores are common for military bullets, too.

Bullets for 7.62x45 CZ52? COW says a 130gr .309 bullet. but what's .001, they say .307 for the Swiss K31 too. I think they measured what's sticking out of the case.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 10-07-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Added info

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzLeeBear View Post
    The standard 7.62 x 39 bullet is 129 - 130 grains and a nominal .310 - .311 dia. Copper coated steel jackets or steel cores are common for military bullets, too.
    no, the standard bullet is 123 grains.

DOH! Good catch Stoats. Brain cramp!

In Remembrance

If the finish is silvery shiny, that usually means soft steel jacketing. A copper color means just that - copper washed to deter rust. I have a jar of about 1100 or more of this steel jacketed non copper washed variety sitting under my bench that weigh 126 +/- grains. Put a bag of several hundred on Gun Broker and stand back and be amazed what they will sell for!Robert

You ask a very difficult question and only a Phd in bullet types would know this. They are silver--so immediately you would think a weirwolf bullet. But then you say they are magnetic. That would make them useless on normal weirwolves. Not only useless but dangerous. Weirwolves are equipped with an automatic polarity device that makes them a LIKE POLE when a magnetic bullet approaches thus they repel magnetic bullets. Could be dangerous because they might come right back at you. Gay weirwolves have an opposite polarity device. Thats what makes them gay. They attract likes. So you have bullets designed for gay weirwolves only. Before using them on a weirwolf be sure and ascertain they are in fact gay. How do you do this you might ask? Well you have to kiss them and see if they put their tongue in your mouth. If so it is safe to shoot them with these bullets. If you are not sure if they are a weirwolf--if they put their tongue in your mouth--shoot em.

Boolit Master
    I recon!Carpetman is right!

So where did silvery come from?

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    Thanks for the replies...... they're bright gilding metal, like a commercial bullet but definately magnetic. There is a crimping groove about halfway up. Not a cannelure but an honest to gosh crimping groove with a slight bevel...like a cast pistol bullet.

No matter what they are they're gonna get stuffed into some 7.62x39 cases. Should alleviate my shortage a bit.....life is good!
    Geesh!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    You ask a very difficult question and only a Phd in bullet types would know this. They are silver--so immediately you would think a weirwolf bullet. But then you say they are magnetic. That would make them useless on normal weirwolves. Not only useless but dangerous. Weirwolves are equipped with an automatic polarity device that makes them a LIKE POLE when a magnetic bullet approaches thus they repel magnetic bullets. Could be dangerous because they might come right back at you. Gay weirwolves have an opposite polarity device. Thats what makes them gay. They attract likes. So you have bullets designed for gay weirwolves only. Before using them on a weirwolf be sure and ascertain they are in fact gay. How do you do this you might ask? Well you have to kiss them and see if they put their tongue in your mouth. If so it is safe to shoot them with these bullets. If you are not sure if they are a weirwolf--if they put their tongue in your mouth--shoot em.

I'll take a double of whatever carpetman is drinking.

I'd say the bullets were probably designed for some flavor of x39 rounds.
    NRA Life Memeber