MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggested loads for 45-70 with 340gr WW LEE bullet

Still here...

Moved twice and still recovering from West Nile virus from 1.5 years ago.. Contagious disease doctor stated I am one in a 100 million to get that sick and live...do not wish that on anybody. Lord is not finished with me ..yet. Better results have been 14gr unique. Thanks.....

Boolit Buddy
    I had a 45/70 in a ruger no1, I can't remember the mold but it was a 350 Grn hollow point with 41 Grns of reloader 7, it was hell on pigs.

If you compare what folks use in handgun hunting or blackpowder muzzleloader hunting ... then a revised 45-70 loading can be considered.

If paper targets under 200 yds and any animal on the American continent , north or south , then mastidon loading is not needed. Way easier on gun/shooter are way MO BETTA.

Light boolits in the 300 grain arena are called for in soft lead castings and loaded to no more then 1300 fps will do very nicely.

The long range fellers have narrowed the boolit selection to 400+ and more often 500+ grain boolits that BUCK the shooter AND the wind very successfully. HOWEVER for most of us ... the lighter boolits do all we want or need.

Only task that more speed will accomplish for us is flatter trajectory. While this is nice, the old shooter will deliver the goods with just a bit of practice and woodsmanship as well as rifleman talents.

If the boolit diameter fits the bore requirements and meticulous loading practices are observed ... then the lee boolit should do very fine. Black powder requires more lube then maybe the lee would carry, however there again nothing wrong with smokeless powder for most of us.

Overall this is a grand old cartridge and worthy of all praise. Love these posts and think that there could very well be a dedicated specific "45-70" section here with plenty of posts to carry it.
    Last edited by bigted; 10-22-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12