MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Pedersoli John Bodine

Boolit Mold

Pedersoli John Bodine

Hi all

Im looking at getting into BPCR shooting. Was really keen about a year ago but the interest faded, but now Im all keen again! I live in Australia, so a Shiloh sharps is out of the question. I really like the look of the Pedersoli John Bodine rifle in 45/90. Has anyone had anything to do with this rifle? The only thing I can see that could be a problem is it looks like the comb is a little low.

In Remembrance
    The John Bodine comes with nicer wood and some engraving that bumps the price up.
    That may not make it shoot any better, but probably increases the pride of ownership.

Red River Rick shoots a Pedersoli Rolling Block in 45/70. His may not have the fancy exterior, but his results would probably be mirrored by the one you like.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    I do believe Dan Theodore (HP Guy) was shooting one for a while and found it to be very accurate. Dan doesn't tolerate inaccurate rifles.
    Jerry Liles

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Red River Rick shoots a Pedersoli Rolling Block in 45/70. His may not have the fancy exterior, but his results would probably be mirrored by the one you like.

CM
    I shoot a long range creedmore as well and have had extremely good results.

The outertmost shot was a fouling shot and the next 5 made the 1.35" group. I do not have a pic of the target, but recently went 17 shots without cleaning and all were in a 1.70" group.

SS
    Last edited by SharpsShooter; 09-22-2009 at 03:35 PM.
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I own the Pedersoli 34 in bbl Competition model. At 100 yds it stacks the 535 Saeco into a one hole cluster. That's shot with it locked in to the bags. The rifle is I think a very good one. I have two friends who own Sharps and the only visable difference is the wood fit and finish. We shoot together and my rifle is right there with them. I do one day hope to own a Shiloh but at 62 my time is short.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Smile Pedersoli's?

desky85:

As MC mentioned, I do have a Pedersoli Rolling Block Long Range Creedmore, identical to the one pictured in SharpShooter's post, chambered in 45-70. It'll place bullets into a 1" group at 100 yds, no problem.

I've been having great success shooting the Dixie/Lyman 510 gr. BP Sil bullet out of it as shown here: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=8051

Due to the configuration of my chamber, I opted for this bore-rider design because it allows me to seat the bullet way out there, giving me more case capacity and reaching darn near 45-90 performance.

However; shooting P/P bullets out of it, doesn't work very well.

I aslo have a Pedersoli 74' Sharps Competition, chambered in 45-90, with a 34" pipe on it. Sounds like the same rifle as Cajun Shooter has. It shoots GG bullets pretty good, considering I haven't shot it all that much. And as far a P/P bullets go, I haven't even tried them in this rifle.....................yet.

If your on a limited budget, like some of are, the Pedersoli Rifles are a fine choice if the Sharps Rifles are out of your reach.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Mold
    Hi everyone

Thankyou for all the replies!

I had an ex demo rifle (that had been shot....) lined up from a shop but I have decided to go with a brand new rifle. They don't have the rifle in 45/90 in stock at the moment, so I am going to buy it in 45/70. It makes a little more sence in 45/70 Im starting to think anyway. The cases here in Oz cost about half as much as 45/90 and the range I shoot on is only 500m long so from what I have read, the 45/70 will do everything I need. What do you guys think?

In the future if I decide to get a bit more serious and travel away a bit with it to longer rangesand get competitive, I can always rechamber or rebarrel with a nice Badger or Kreiger barrel.

Boolit Master
    If you own only one BPCR it should be a 45-70. The extra zip of the longer case only shows results past about 800 meters. I have shot a 45-70 clean out to 1200 yards and it worked just fine but I needed a long tang sight and my cheek was no where near the stock.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    +1 on the post by NICKSS. If you start with the 45-70 everytning is cheaper and more plentiful. The next best thing is that it's very easy to go bigger if your need is there. You can't make a 45-90 into a 70 though. Everything that I was able to find and ask about before buying told me to go with the 45-70. It's the learning stage of long range and some shooters never leave it. If you look at the rifles used at matches the 45-70 is right there.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Desky85,
    That wouldn't happen to be the rifle in Claytons, would it? I was thinking of looking at that one myself, but alot of my money just evaporated this evening when I hit my second skippy in 6 months. I need a couple of grand now for a bull bar. Stupid, bastard of an animal the kangaroo, the only other creature with less road sense is the emu. Where are you in Oz?
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Mold
    Southern Son
    I live up in Central Queensland west on Mackay near Emerald. Have just extended our range out to 500m so I am looking at something to have a bit of a muck around with. I shoot a lot of service rifle so this will be something a bit different. The rifle was in Cleavers. I have had a couple of people email me now saying to go with a Sharps instead of a Rolling Block for various reasons. Starting to swing that way.........

Boolit Bub
    Desky85,
    I have two Pedersoli Bodines- one 30" in .45-70 that I use for silhouette (a 30 last week & a 1st in class at the Nationals) and it will mostly shoot under 2" at 200yds. on call- good conditions. The other is a 34" in .45-90 that does very well at 1000, but I have not shot it in competition yet.
    I do have a couple of very accurate Pedersoli '74 Sharps also, but prefer the Bodine as I think that it has a slight edge. All of their barrel's are very good & shoot better than I can hold them. Kind of like pretty girls, I like all guns, but some just whisper in your ear a little more enticeingly... good luck, Path
    First in Last Out!