Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: 1859 Sharps Questions

1859 Sharps Questions

Gentlemen,

I just acquired a percussion Sharps carbine in 54 caliber (Pedersoli). I had previously shot a friend's Sharps paper cartridge carbine years ago and just had to get one. The opportunity presented itself yesterday and so I took the plunge! I do not have any experience with this type of rifle and would like to know what kind of bullet mold makes the best bullet for the 1:48 twist barrel. I make nitrated paper cartridges for my cap and ball revolver, but have not made any for a Sharps and therefore could use some advice on that, too. I am therefore most grateful for any help on this subject.

Boolit Master
    The 1/48 twist in 54 is a comprimise between a slower twist for ball and faster twist for boolit. It is what TC uses for that cal. When you comprimise you get something that is not the best for either.
    When I was designing a line of conicles for ML customers I used the online design program. What I found was that the length was very limited for 54 cal with that twist.
    I went with the design that gave the most weight within length limits for the twist.
    They look like a big WFN design with the ogival wad cutter nose shape. They may work for you. The origonal design had a ring for tying the paper on but I think if you go with an origonal shape they may not stabalise woth your twist unless very short and light.
    I am not sure if I kept the spec sheet on that mold. If I did your welcome to it. That will make it simple for Dan to duplicate it. If you would like to purchase boolits from us thats what we are here for. If you would like a couple to sample we can do that too.
    Blessings
    BIC/BS

In Remembrance
    Page 14 of the NEI catalog has a bunch of 'ring-tailed' bullets in diameters that will probably be suitable for that rifle.
    http://www.neihandtools.com/catpages/mold_pg14.htm

Pedersoli also sells moulds. One of the Pedersoli dealers (Flintlocks Etc.) should be able to order an appropriate one.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I had a 63 Pedersoli and I had two ring tail moulds for it. I let one go with the rifle.
    I used the nitrated paper and just shoved the bullet in the chamber throat and filled it with powder from a horn and let the breach block scrape off the excess powder.
    Good shooter!
    Cabelas used to sell the moulds for the .54

Boolit Master
    If you are a novice shooter of these weapons let me give you some tips that I have learned over the past 20 years shooting them. First the gun. I have two pedersoli rifles and they will foul out quickly unless you do the following: First strip your breach block, remove all screws and nipple and the gas plate in the front of the block. Some gas plated have cut outs in the side that the tip of a small screwdriver will fit in if not use a knife blade to work it out. I would recommend grinding a small half moon depression on the block side of the gas plate on each side if it does not have them now. This will greatly increase the ease of removal when you are cleaning the rifle. Lube the screw threads 9including the nipple with a never seize lube. Also lube the back side of the gas plate and reassemble the breach block. The Pedersoli has a chamber sleeve that should slide in and out. If it does pull it out as far as you can and lube it with never seize lube. Also lube the edges of the breach block with Crisco (plain) and reassemble your rifle. These steps will allow more shooting between cleaning and easier dis assembly for cleaning.

Now for bullets. I use a ring tail bullet that is Christmas tree shaped and weighs 475 gr cast from soft lead. I have found that either pure lead or a 30-1 alloy works best in my rifles. The bullet I have measures 546 on the base band and the two in front are .530 and .520 towards the front of the bullet. Pedersoli makes a mold similar and Cabela's carries it. My Pedersoli measures .5405" groove and ,520 land diameter so as you can see the bullet is designed to fit into the rifling so as to align it with the bore. Making nitrated cartridges is time consuming but adds to the fun of shooting. When I am just target shooting I generally push a lubed bullet into the chamber and seat it with a short ram rod. I then pour a measured powder charge into the chamber and close the breach cap and fire it. By the way, it is impossible to have a compressed powder charge in a Sharps unless you load it from the muzzle due to the disign of the breach block.

After firing strip the breach block and pull the chamber sleeve and clean completely and relube with never seize.

Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for the info based on your experience with this rifle. I have a couple of questions: Does the sleeve come all the way out of the chamber? Did anyone ever have ignition problems where the musket cap would not ingite the charge? What was your accuracy like? Did anyone try shooting non-ringtail (Christmas tree) boolits such as a minnie ball and if so, with what success? I went to Dixie's webpage and they recommended using FFFG, not FFG. What do ya'll think about that?

Boolit Master
    Yes to all your questions. I have tried Mini balls and they work as well as TC Maxi Hunters and 54 cal Great plains bullets. They all worked. Accuracy with my rifles is variable with the powder charge and whether I use a cartridge or not. The most consistent bullet I have tired is the christmas tree type. With my Pedersoli 63 sporting rifle with globe front and rear tang sight I have shoot groups of 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards consistently. Some are smaller. I have shot 200 yard groups of 4 to 6 inches at 200 yards. I have never shot it further. With my cheapo IAB carbine I shoot 3 inch groups at 50 yards and around 6 inch ones at 100 with the issue sights. I can hit a 12 inch gong at 200 yards about 90% of the time with the issue sights.

NickSS,

Thanks for the info. It looks like the Christmas tree ringtail boolit mold is in my future!

Joel

Boolit Bub
    To your last batch of questions:
    The chamber tube is not removable in the Pedersoli, unless they have changed the design yet again.
    Ignition problems are common with BP substitutes, but real black rarely fails to ignite. This is why some people use the pyrodex pellets with the black powder igniter on the end.
    The bullet you must use is largely dependent on the chamber length. Pedersoli chambers are short, requiring the ringtail bullet. This bullet goes all the way to the front of the chamber allowing for about 50 grains of powder. I have shot the real by Lee, but must force the projectile forward into the rifling (easy to do with pure lead) in order to get enough powder into the chamber.
    Even though it is a Shiloh company forum, this is a great place to learn about the Pedersoli also:
    http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/vi...days=0&start=0

Ive used several diffrent bullets in my sharps a few from NEI a rapine a bagdon and the one I use now is made by Steve Brooks that he made a few change to for me one being the base to fit The tubes made by Charlie Hann. Only powder I use is real 2ffg. Swiss and Goex can both be made to work well. at some point I will be trying the diamond back powder. Personnly I would stay away from the fake.
    Last edited by waksupi; 10-07-2009 at 01:53 PM.