Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I've had amnesia for almost 20 years.

Moderator Emeritus

From my car accident I remember the side of the truck in front of me, left front starting to crumple and me saying this is going to frikking hurt... then blank for 20 minutes.... I don't remember moving my car off the road but the kid driving the truck said I started it and got it out of the traffic lane... all I remember is his asking "are you okay" over and over 20 minutes later. Idiot hadn't called 911 yet so I had to do it.

He was texting his GF, cost him his license until he turned 18 in 2 years, and his mom's insurance took a hefty hit. They moved before we sued to try and hide assets... didn't work, my lawyer got them!

Boolit Grand Master

Some of you may remember (well, maybe not) that I retired a couple of years ago. I made a post or two about it. After I sold my electrical inventory out of my shop and began cleaning up I started finding buckets of wheel weights that I did not remember having. I posted about them too! I think I found about 8 partial 5 gallon buckets. How do ya forget that?

Banned
    One thing I heard years ago sums it up nicely. "Once an adult twice a child."

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Your choice_zps0yccmthm.gif 
Views:	47 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	208581

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Your choice_zps0yccmthm.gif 
Views:	47 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	208581
    Precious

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Some of you may remember (well, maybe not) that I retired a couple of years ago. I made a post or two about it. After I sold my electrical inventory out of my shop and began cleaning up I started finding buckets of wheel weights that I did not remember having. I posted about them too! I think I found about 8 partial 5 gallon buckets. How do ya forget that?
    Consider the fact that you were busy and under stress. That in itself is enough to make one forget. Heck, I had a carpet stapler that I had bought 30 years ago forgot that I still had it so I bought another one and then found the first one. Now I have two that I probably won't use for another twenty years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Funny, I’ve been looking for my brand new spare Dillon low primer alarm for a week. It’s in a special place where I wouldn’t lose it.
    If you like, I can send you the one off the press I just bought.. I have no use for it..

Boolit Master
    For me it's those blasted resettable letter or number combination locks. That special set of numbers or unique spelling of a personally meaningful word is so special, unique or meaningful that I almost never remember it the next day and up end up cutting the lock off while grumbling that I'll never buy another. Then I forget THAT, buy another...lather, rinse, repeat 8^P

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
    If you like, I can send you the one off the press I just bought.. I have no use for it..
    I think I used mine the first year and not since - after all, it's literally eight inches from my nose.

Boolit Grand Master

Kevin C, try using something that you can assioate with. Our rifle range uses 3006. A favorite caliber, your graduation date, wedding date, birth date, ect all should be easy to remember. And yeah, I prefer a key myself.

Safe places...OMG...just kiss it goodbye!

Yep...I see several of you have 'safe places & special places'...that's the rub for me too..."I'm gonna put this in a safe place!"

Some years back I bought a 'Mil Dot Master' while I was reading a couple Sniper technical books. It got put in a safe place until I got to the .308 project at which time it went missing...ordered another, used it a while & yep, thought I'd put it in a safe place.
    I reached up on the bookshelf and retrieved one of the Sniper books to put this in like a bookmark.

Guess what fell out of that book?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

that's what I like about this site. You guys are just like me, I think. I can't remember everything but it's enough to really enjoy it most of the time. Now if one of you can tell me where I put up the old shell holders that I put up some time ago so I wouldn't lose are we'll both be as happy as if we had good sense.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    I said this the other day: "Hey, there's a key! Wonder what it goes to?"
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    I have too many keys as it is. I also lose them way too easy (I have already had to pay the bank to drill out the save deposit box lock after I manage secure both my keys just a little too well). All that made me think the resettable locks were the way to go, 'crept now I have too many of those. I don't want to use the same code on everything, figuring I'd compromise all my stuff if somebody got a hold of the combo, but maybe that or a some limited set of codes will be the way
    I have to go, since carrying a bunch of codes written on a slip of paper in my wallet or in my phone isn't such a hot idea either.

I am also embarrassed to have to admit that not only have I had to buy replacements for what I have "misplaced", but also for stuff I have forgotten that I had already bought.

Boolit Buddy
    While helping the little wife the other day clean out the grandson's old bed room so she could repaint ,,"Here take this out to storage,,and that and those clothes , dang woman,,you go'n paint with a roller,or water balloon's ,,yep gave me "that look".,,, As I looked I saw a really nice jacket that didn't even look worn. " I don't remember buyin this",,,,"you bough--" Merry Christmas ,,, Honey".

"coffee's ready",,,Hootmix.

My Dad and Mom were first loves...they got married in College and lived together as happy husband and Wife for 50 years....he died of cancer a few months after their 50th anniversary. She continued to live in their Condo in Denver for the next 30 years...she lived a mostly normal life with no signs of dimentia or alzheimers...her doctor said that she was amazing for a woman in her 90's.
    Then it happened...I was sitting in her living room (think she was about 93 at the time) among all her keepsakes...pictures of family, little knick knacks from when they traveled, just normal stuff...and she pointed at a picture that had been in her living room since I was a child..you know, one of those things that is always around that you sort of "grow up" with....she asked "Who is that handsome man in that picture"? I was stunned but quietly replied "That's Mel...he was your husband for 50 years and my father..She just said "oh...I always wondered who he was...he looks so nice and handsome"

I became concerned and spoke with her doctor who said "I wondered when you would notice some things:..He said she was not suffering from anything more than the terrible shock it was to her when he suddenly died and she was left alone...she was able to recover her abilities to function and was mostly normal except she had closed him out of her memory to stop the pain"...he said it is quite common where a spouse relies almost totally on the other for basic living functions and is suddenly gone.

It was a real shocker but she lived to be 97 and that was the only time she ever showed me any signs of mental imparment.

Boolit Buddy
    Transient Global Amnesia

This happened to me. Early one winter morning I was in the kitchen preparing breakfast when the power went off. It was still dark outside so I went back to bed. The next thing I knew I was sitting on an examination table in the hospital with the doctor asking me if I knew who the president was. My wife had found me in the back yard working on a gate with no shoes on in my p.j.'s. She got me dressed and to the hospital. I lost about four hours. Weird! I had never heard of this before but have since heard of a couple more cases that happened to people some of my friends know. One guy was on vacation with his family in Panama City, Florida when he realized he didn't know where he was or how he got there. He remembered where he was staying but was so concerned that he checked himself int a hospital.

The doctor said it probably wouldn't happen again and so far it hasn't. I think.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by calaloo View Post
    The next thing I knew I was sitting on an examination table in the hospital with the doctor asking me if I knew who the president was.
    Now that you mention this, about 6-7 years ago I was coming home from town on my motorcycle and had a low speed accident at an intersection making a turn, soybeans are like marbles to a motorcycle.
    I got home and my wife insisted I go to the hospital because I had a laceration on my head and thought I might have a concussion. I always wear a helmet.
    The doctor also asked me if I knew who the President was.
    I told him no, but I think it's the guy who puts the words on Barak Obama's tell-a-promoter.
    After laughing for a bit, he said there wasn't anything wrong with me and to be careful riding.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

My Doc says that it's CRS disease...( Can't Remember **** )
    Last edited by MaryB; 12-17-2017 at 09:08 PM. Reason: no using ** etc to hide swear words

Boolit Master

I think I have certain items that must cause amnesia. I've had this one drill index for about 45 years. It had quality bits in it when new and I've always kept it replenished as needed with good bits. Problem is, it hides frequently. I can always find the indices that have cheap bits but the good one is evasive. There are a few other shop items that seem chronically hard to find as well but they all turn up and then disappear again. My pin vise and little bitty bits can only be found when I don't need them.

The worst is a model airplane I built many years ago. I can tell you what happened to every plane I ever built but that one. It was a control line model of Art Scholl's Chipmunk and not a small plane at about 54" span. I distinctly remember certain construction details. I didn't crash it. I must have sold it but danged if I can remember selling it. I've been trying to remember for years what happened to that airplane.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast