Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: New guy with a question

Boolit Master

Question New guy with a question

I recently obtained a model 24 saeco pot and it is leaking at the spout. Is there something I can do to prevent this. Thanks in advance. Boats

I have a 20+ year old saeco bottom pour. The previous owner wired an ounce or ounce and a half lead fishing weight to the handle...it still leaks, even after a thorough cleaning. I'll probably end up dressing the rod and spout in mine on a lathe to get a better seal between the two. Make sure neither one are buggered up on yours.
    Machinists do it with precision.

Boolit Master

Boatswainsmate? I'm sorry.

Do they still use ridiculous amounts of brass on a ship?
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Le Loup Solitaire

Saeco M24 Drip

Hi and welcome to the forum. The Saeco M24 is one of the best pots ever made. What has happened with yours is simply a lot of wear. It has to be checked, but the best solutions are; A) If the inside diameter of the spout is worn larger then you can get a decent welder to easily plug the spout with weld and then (re) drill it out so that the inside diameter doesn't let the melt get by in the form of a drip. B) take out the valve rod and either coat the stepped part of the rod with weld and carefully file it (round) down to fit and sit correctly in the spout...or have a new rod made that will do the same thing. Either or both approach(es) will solve the problem even if both the spout and the valve insert are shot. It may take a few bucks to get the prob fixed; its not a big job, but...absolutely and definitely worth it and you won't have to look far to realize that nowadays the alternatives are either laying out looney-toon megabucks for a decent pot or struggling with something that works like one of those "quality" prizes that falls out of a box of Crackerjacks. I've had an M24 for 30 years; its a solid machine and is still going strong. Anything on it can be fixed if necessary and there is lots of info stored on this forum in threads going back a long ways, ranging from simple stuff to major and total rebuild complete with companies and web addresses to go to for parts. You can run a search and see for yourself. There are also a lot of forum members who are still slingin lead with with Saeco pots and they will help you out if and whenever you need a push. Good luck and enjoy casting. LLS

Hullo Boats and welcome....."I Said ACROSS the bow"not through it.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

In Remebrance

I'd start off with emptying the pot and giving the seating area a thorough cleaning. Check to see if there is some damage there. You can try lapping it in with valve grinding compound.

Don;t give up on the old girl. And welcome aboard!

Super Moderator

............Welcome aboard Boats Now we can finally have that class on marlinspike seamanship we've all been needing I've been fretting over a couple frayed monkey's fists for some time now.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned
    Man, I tell you, this forum is getting to be something else. Flyboys, Jarheads, and now Deckapes.

Hey welcome aboard and just teasing with the names. I was a Snipe on a Destroyer.

Joe

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the reply's and welcome aboard's! Boats

Boolit Grand Master

Boats, you West coast or East coast sailor? If Norfolk, check my location.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Boats, you West coast or East coast sailor?

I am on the east coast. I am currently stationed on the USS Harry S Truman.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

welcome

welcome boats.I am an ex navy never been on navy boat.except as a historic one.
    old Ironsides.and some other decoms.this lad is an airdale.AOM3C.
    WILDCATT