RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: S&W 629 Mountain Gun Barrel Shroud Gap

S&W 629 Mountain Gun Barrel Shroud Gap

Fellas, I recently purchased a NIB Mountain Gun from an FFL dealer in an internet sale. The revolter had a large gap where the barrel shroud met the frame, so I returned it for service with S&W paying the freight. According to the paperwork I got back, S&W replaced the barrel and adjusted the yoke to eliminate excessive endshake, and stated that the revolter now meets their standards. Problem is the gap is still there - I'm talking a gap that will take a folded sheet of paper easily. I called Customer Service today and was told "all the new ones are machined that way so the shrouds don't rub the frame when the barrel is installed." OK, I checked the 617-6 I bought a month ago and there is no gap at all on that one; same thing for a 19-5. I'd love to hear from anyone who recently purchased a Smith about the barrel shroud fit on theirs. Tony

Banned
    Tony,

The only new Smith I have is the 617 and it doesn't have a gap there. Boy there sure was alot of things wrong with the supposely new in the box Smith you just bought though, don't you think? I'll ask around of other newer Smith owners.

Joe

Boolit Master
    I have one of the newer 4" 629's that has the keylock in the frame. And mine has the same gap you speak of.
    However I also have one of the new 460 S&W MAGS and that has no gap
    I'd take it out and shoot it . If it does well I'd forget about it
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Thanks for the input, 6-pt. That is exactly the intellectual approach I am trying to take, but emotions keep getting in the way. That kind of gap on a Taurus or Rossi clone might be overlooked, but on a Smith? Guess I have to adjust my expectations...Tony

Fellas, the Mountain Gun returned from its second trip back to S&W last Friday. The gap is still there and is about what is was originally; the first replacement barrel was much worse. I called today and asked if the Performance Center could fit the barrel properly if I paid for it – they said no, the barrels are made this way and they couldn’t guarantee the fit. The revolver will go with me to the next gun show and will not come back, and this will be the last Smith I buy without a visual inspection first. Tony

Thumbs down

That's the kind of standard I'd have expected in the bad old days of Bangor Punta, or the Clintonista days of English ownership. But S&W is an American company now!
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Master

629 Mtn Gun

Tony, hang in there old buddy. I see a few Mtn Guns from time to time in the paper or at local gun shows. A good one will turn up.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master
    Tony et al--

That is a curious response from S&W regarding what most of us consider a pretty critical design element. You might be correct in saying that modern-day revolver enthusiasts need to set their sights lower, but it really goes against the grain for me too. Of course, let us not forget the Ruger mantra from a few years back regarding their 45 Colt revolvers--that .449" throats and .452" grooves were "within spec". Yeah, right!

Of course, there's always the guy selling a New Service in 45 Colt that is otherwise a pretty decent example--except that the bore and chambers are FILTHY. What is that crud hiding? At the last Reno Gun Show, I was amazed to see how many otherwise decent firearms had fouled bores that prevented close inspection of bore condition. I almost reflexively set down any such example I looked at--and the N/S x 45 Colt was a thing I would have purchased at the price asked, if its bore condition could have been confirmed. When a gun's exterior is wiped down and decent--but its "heart" is left hidden--I pass.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    Well, to me that shroud gap would be like the hood of my brand new car is way out of alignment.....and you see it because you have to look over it when you drive.

I don't blame you Tony. And to think, you've sent the gun back twice, you'd think they'd go out of their way to get rid of the gap.

Joe

Fellas, the good news is that I THINK (still have to make the transfer) that I have sold the Mountain Gun at a small loss, and I hope the new owner will be satisfied with it. I don't feel bad about selling it because this is a cosmetic problem only, but like Joe mentioned it is the only thing I would ever see every time I picked up the revolver. I'm not completely turned off on the Smith's, but will make sure I get a good look at the next one I buy.
    I even offered to pay to have a "standard" barrel installed, but they refused to guarantee the fit. They obviously knew this was a major problem for me but were willing to write me off as a customer. I suggested as much to the customer service rep, who said "have a nice day" and hung up on me. Tony

Boolit Grand Master
    Arrogant jerk.

I'd be willing to bet that Cylinder & Slide could make it right--and if an aftermarket firm can do so, S&W damn sure can too. That's just the problem with so many modern firearms these days--ya gotta be willing to finish building them after you buy them, and hold yer nose in the meantime.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    Deputy Al,

Might be a good idea to sell us kit guns we finish assembling. TC use to sell their hawkens kits but no more. Also Springfield Armory had kit form 1911's. I've put a few of those together. We probably could do a better job.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB
    Problem is the gap is still there - I'm talking a gap that will take a folded sheet of paper easily. I called Customer Service today and was told "all the new ones are machined that way so the shrouds don't rub the frame when the barrel is installed."
    Possibly a gap is better? It allows a circular contact pattern of the barrel to the frame. This could possibly allow better long range accuracy when the barrel heats. You could think of it as a high tech accuracy enhancement for your mountain gun.