Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: what power for a spotting scope?

Boolit Master

what power for a spotting scope?

I have pretty well healed up after the purchase of a Browning BPCR, so my next adventure in the realm of potential financial ruin is to acquire a spotting scope. I shot at the Q and at Alliance this year with the aid of some swell folks who spotted for me. So what do you recommend as an adequate power for long range?

hydraulic
    You need to be more discriptive on what you want in a scope. What is your idea of long range, 200, 300, 500, 1000 yards or more. When you decide that then you can start looking at scope type as well as cost. Keep in mind that the longer range will also cost more for quality glass.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Charlie the scope that Carol and I use is a Burris Landmark 20-60x80. Most of the time it sits on about 30 power. The scope Dick has is a Konus same power . It probably doesn't ever get much past 40. I believe Kurts scope is a Kowa.

Personally I prefer a pair of fixed power binoculars (20 or 30), but Carol has a hard time with the highpowered binos so we went with the scope.
    I can't remember the mailorder house Dick said to get the Konus scopes from but the price was in the 300 dollar range, and if for some reason I needed a new scope that's sure the one I'ld go with.
    Probably just as important as the scope is an excellent stand. A stand that wobbles and wiggles won't help a thing.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is some info from my experiences. I have used everything from a Champions Choice 66 mm to a Leica 80 mm.

We use Kowa 80 mm scopes with 27 X long eye relief lens. They sell other lenses, but using a scope from position the long eye relief is a plus. Seeing bullet holes past 200 yards is iffy and is condition dependent. Sometimes we can see them at 300 yards and sometimes we cannot see them at 200 yards.

If they are using spotters on the target then you will not need a high priced scope to see spotter marking the bullet impact. If you are looking for bullet traces then larger objective is and a clearer scope is beneficial. If you are needing to read mirage to judge the wind then a better quality scope is desired.

Here is a link with some info on high $ scopes
    http://www.6mmbr.com/spotterreview.html

What I have noticed looking through scopes is what I refer to as the law of diminishing returns...... At the lower end of the scope range, the cost for large improvements is low. At the higher end of the scope range, the cost for small improvements is very high.

Hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Konus 20-60 X 100mm on sale a couple years ago and have been very pleased !
    It is mounted on a heavy/rigid Bogen tripod.

I rarely shoot beyond 200 yards though.

The 100mm size has proven very helpful in low light situations.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    I use an old Leupold fixed power 30x60mm 95% of the time. It is a light, handy and trusted old friend. If seeing conditions are good (little mirage) and I really need to see, I break out a Televue Pronto and go as high as conditions will permit. If seeing conditions are poor and I really need to see, I break out binocs I made from 2 Bushnell Spacemasters. They are usually set at 30 to 35 power, but it seems like a lot more since both eyes are being used. Using both eyes also helps see through the mirage (a little). Basically, anything above 30 power doesn't help unless seeing conditions are good. Otherwise, the mirage just piles up in the scope.

Oh, dont go cheap. You will be looking through that scope for a long time to come.
    People sometimes tell me they dont own guns because guns are too expensive. I tell them guns dont cost anything. They are essentially another form of currency.

I'm using a 45X on a Swarovski HD80 which is perfect out to 300M...can see .45 holes at that distance too...not all of the time, but most of the time.
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Boolit Master
    My vote is for the Leupold Golden Ring 12-40X60mm Spotting Scope. Been using one for years for paper punching as well as game watching. No trouble spotting bullet holes at 300 yds or counting antler tines. It's light weight and compact to boot.

Winelover

Hi Hydraulic,

Buy the best you can afford. I use the Kowa and it is 27X and you will see the lead splatters on steel at 1200 yards.
    The higher the power the more mirage. I have a old Redfiled I been using almost 40 years and it is a 20-60X with a 60 MM objective and it is set on 20X and that is good @ 1000 to see lead hitting steel and it is a better quality and brighter scope that the Kwoa TNS-821M is.
    Carol likes to use the Kowa because it has the angle lens and the wider field of view.
    A good set of high powered binoculars on a tripod I would prefer because they are a lot easier on eye strain.
    How are you getting along with the rifle??

Lp.

Boolit Master

Talking

I use the Kowa with the angled eye piece and 27 power long eye relief. I would recommend something with long eye relief 27mm or more, the Kowa has 30mm, with a objective lens over 60mm. When you are shooting prone the 45deg eye piece is the way to go.

Boolit Master
    Don & Kurt: I used that Redfield of yours, Kurt, at Alliance and it worked just fine. At least, Karol used it. I had seen a post for a Barska 125 power on another forum for $120 but with your input I think I'll pass on it. If you're seeing the bullet splashes at 1000 yds with a 27-30X that's what I go with.

That Browning is absolutely the best rifle in the world!!!!!!! I have been getting out to my 100 yd. range two or three times a week and over the sticks I'm just eating the ten ring out of the NRA 100 yd target. I have a friend who has a gravel pit where I can get 300 yds and I'm in the process of getting a target stand put up, but I need a scope first. I feel that it is only fair that you warn everyone at the Q that there's going to be a new record score shot next year.

Thanks, guys. That goes for all you fellows for sharing information with an old newcomer.

Boolit Master
    My spotting scopes are both Old Weavers one is 20X and the other is 40X. The 20 X I use for shooting in competition as it is adequate for spotting mirage and wind conditions as well as seeing spotters on a bullseye target and lead splatters on steel out to 500M or more. The 40 X I use for bench shooting as I can see 22 holes at 100 yards and 30 cal holes at 200 yards with it. I have used several different spotting scopes that friends of mine own and if I was buying a new scope I would buy a Howa with a 30X eye piece.

Boolit Buddy
    I spot with a Kowa 82mm and a 27X eyepiece. IMHO, get the best scope that your budget will allow. Many shooting teams (USMC, USAMU) use Kowa. Remember, there is a skill to spotting, so I recommend you get the little book by Jim Owens titled "Reading the Wind and Coaching Techniques". You can get that through Buffalo Arms, or Creedmore Sports. That book will not only give you the best information on using a spotting scope properly, but it is a wealth of information on interpreting mirage. As far as a solid scope stand, you can get a pricy one from Creedmore Sports, or you can do like I did and get a used surveyors transit. Mine is an aluminum Nikon that I paid $25 for, and I went to the local camera shop to get a tripod head. With a little jerry rigging I attached the new tripod head to the transit table. Talk about a stable platform. The wind at the Q can't even wiggle that rig.

Regards,
    Bill
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

I have a 66mm Kowa with the 27x LER eyepiece. I am very happy with it. I almost went for the 82mm Kowa, but decided I didn't want to lug around another piece of big equipment. I only shoot when the sun's out, so the 66 has meant little compromise to me.

Actually, I feel the sharpness of the scope (i.e. quality) is more important than the power of the magnification.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master

I looked at a number of different spotting scopes and settled on the Konus 100MM 20-60. From Midway it was $299, $329 from Optics Planet. I have one friend that owns a Kowa and uses the Konus Instead.
    It is a heavy scope though and you need a good base for it, but the image is clear through the range of adjustment, and IMHO it is as good as some of the higher priced jobs. If you can look at some of the above mentioned scopes at the range and see what looks good to you. I really liked the Kowa's just not the near $1000 price tag. Swarovski is absolutely top of the line but is almost twice as much as I paid for my first C Sharps.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

The Kowa TNS 66 I think is a better scope than the TNS 881-m scope I use. But regardless what scope is used a good solid tripod and a scope that is waterproof at least water resistant is important. The highest priced scope out there on a flimsy tripod is useless.

Lp.