Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: happy moosing

happy moosing

we spent Friday night huntin. It was pretty uneventful till about 815, when a moose popped out into the meadow. We quickly moved about 50 yards closer, and set up for a shot: sitting down with the shooting sticks. The moose 4 or 500 yards off, and moving toward us slowly. Moving toward the pond the moose was closer now, maybe 120 yards at that point. Once in the pond the noise produced by moose rose exponentially, stepping in the pond mud, splashing, and sucking noises from the water, and the mud. It became clear this moose would walk away tonight, as it was a cow, although I kept hoping some knub antlers would appear. I practiced holding the rifle holding steady, scoping this moose and knocking it down in my mind. She came closer and fortunately on the other side of the pond. I begin scanning behind his moose looking for a bull to appear. Closer still she came , 40 yards away now. Her massive size revealed; she eating munching and drinking water, her whole broad side revealed, yet another beautiful shooting opportunely. My buddy laughs and our presence make this moose uneasy. She is browsing still, moving away now, out of the pond and into the high grass, then suddenly running for the trees. I doubt she saw us, but at 40 yards maybe she winded us. In any event it 9pm and the light is fadding.

It was a beautiful scene, and I felt grateful to be there. I hunt this meadow alot, so much so the locals call it Ivan's Meadow, which makes me smile. I feel fortunate. Coming home it feels colder still, and it had been a cold day, and riding in the boat my head was freezing . A hard winter is appearing. Two days of snow this week already. I think I will dress warmer if I hunt anymore this season.

Our boat pulls up to the beach in near darkness. We load up the 4 wheeler and drive home. When my my buddy and I get home our families are waiting, at my house; they have food on the table. We laugh and eat, our wives and us talk, tell stories, and laugh. The children entertain themselves. The whole evening was perfect.

Happy Moosing
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!

Went back tonight, at nearly the same time 815pm that cow popped out into the meadow, at the other end this time. She walked down to me again. We watched again for an hour, and the strangest thing happened. We heard another moose calling in the next meadow; it was a strange call I never heard a moose call like that before. That moose called twice then the moose I was watching called back. Then I watch for 15 or 20 minutes as these moose called to each other. I have heard moose grunt and snort, but nothing like this gutteral sound they were calling. The far off call was deeper, and more bellowing. A call for longer distances no doubt.

My hunting partner has many years more experience hunting moose than me, and he never seen anything like that. Wow
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!

Maybe those moose making strange calls as they now have cell phones??

Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you're a winner already Ivan.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master

Great experience to relate Ivan. Keep us informed......dale

Sounds like you had a great hunt my friend. Thanks for sharing that with us.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Sometimes the critters give you a gift even if you don't go home with meat. Your postings show that you have earned the right to be called a hunter. Many have not. Good hunting.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

When I heard the call, I thought what the hell is making that noise. Then when the moose I was watching made noise back i sat in awe.

I hunt with one native guy. He is very much a student of moose behavior. He has no job. His job is hunting moose, and cutting firewood. In a 30 day season, he hunts 20 to 25 0f them. He was more excited than me. When he told me he had never seen anything like that I was surprised, then I knew we had witnessed something special. we never heard a hunting story resembling this one. You have to put in the seat time to be called a hunter in my book, so I dont know if I qualify. These past days i will always remember.
    Last edited by Ivantherussian03; 09-27-2009 at 12:17 PM.
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Boolit Master
    Nice story Ivan! What caliber and boolit are you planning on shooting at your moose?

Good luck!
    Ray
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

.30/180 grn Nosler loaded into a 3006 cartridge. It has worked well in the past. I have seen people take down moose with 270 and 30/30, effectively, and efficiently.

hunting is over for me now...the season ends on the 30th. Torrential rains here are keeping people in doors.
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Sometimes the critters give you a gift even if you don't go home with meat. Your postings show that you have earned the right to be called a hunter. Many have not. Good hunting.
    Well said, thumbcocker.......
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower