MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Deer hunting in the heavy rain

Deer hunting in the heavy rain

Has anyone done this, I wonder how the deer react to the rain, do they lay down and wait it out, as a hunter what is the best strategy to hunt under this scenario ?
    (still hunt, sit in a stand etc.) Will the heavy rain affect the flight of my cast bullet.
    Should I use my .30-30 or 45-70.

The Deer are going to look for higher ground with some cover and lay down. Would you slosh through the mud if you did not have to.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

A lot depends on the terrain and the type of deer.

I saw the biggest whitetail of my life during a heavy rain.

Heavy rain will cause the whitetail around here to travel more in the hardwoods and less in the low terrain, but other than that, they still chase the does etc. It will affect them at the beginning of an extended storm, but after a day or so, they'll still travel to feed etc.

I like hunting right after a rainstorm for Mule deer, as they will tend to move into small openings and get away from the dripping trees.

I've found that bad weather affects the hunter more than the deer.

I don't think you will see any noticeable change in your bullet impact at ranges you'll use cast bullets.

AJ

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I like still hunting in a rain, my favorite deer hunting strategy. They aren't as alert, and seem to be out moving around feeding during the day more in this area. I believe that rain also helps cover sounds, and movement. It doesn't get muddy in this area, but softens the dry duff so you can be very quiet.
    Either chambering will work fine, and if it is raining hard enough to affect your boolit at hunting ranges with either, you should most likely be building an ark!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Well this thread is interesting. It just goes to show that game may not do the same things in all areas.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

I have been told that if the deer are bedded down before the rain starts they will stay bedded until it stops don't know if it is true. but I have hunted in the rain and yes the deer do move when it is raining. and I have shoot deer in rain storms. but you better nock them down were they stand cuss tracking one in the rain sucks not much of a blood trail.
    My idea of gun control is a firm grip

Boolit Buddy
    +1 with Waksupi, I like to still hunt in the rain. I don't think deer ALWAYS react the way we do, looking for shelter in rain. I'm sure they may do so sometimes but not often. Last year 4 of us took deer in fairly heavy rain and at least 3 of them were just walking slowly, like looking for food. I've also seen 8-10 deer standing in a field when it was raining med heavy. I like it because it breaks up my noise and most other hunters are not around. The 45-70 would be my choice with cast, I really don't know why anyone using a 45-70 would use jacketed stuff, it's made for cast and perormance is unmatched.(I use a 450 Marlin, its twin)

Boolit Buddy
    I've always liked still hunting deer in the rain, those twitching ears are a dead giveaway.
    The reduced noise is a plus too. I never worry about the rain affecting the bullet, it's gonna be a close range kill anyway.

roadie

Boolit Master
    during a heavy rain or snow -- here in West Tenn deer tend to lay up and move before or after-- if rains long enough they will still get up -they are going to eat-- lighter rain has the other effect --they tend to move about-- wind will affect them sometimes-- me too as I hunt in swamps and the trees can be pushed over or drop limbs--if it is really cold like below 10 degrees -- the deer tend to move a little later in the day --of course if a doe is in heat --bucks do not care period - he will go where she does -- so when it is all said and done I just hunt-- one is for sure if I do not go I will not kill a deer //odds go up 100% by just going btw Glen has written a number of articles on cast hps look up they are good

Boolit Master
    Don't know how this may equate to heavier stuff but shooting in tropical downpoors ..does..effect a .22 rmfire anyways...
    The paper target dripped off the stand after a bit but it did play havoc with with me groups.
    The gusting wind may not of helped either.

At times you could see the bullet cutting down the range through the rain drops!!

Best way would seek a range and see for yourself.
    No we didn't get bogged driving out through the now chanell of water mud from the range to the raod but it was only 2 ft deep and it was dry before it rained.
    hope it helps.

Barra

Boolit Master

I'm old and shot some nice deer, so I stay in camp and make breakfast or supper whichever is appropriate. I hunt Western KY and from the days when I hunted in any weather, the deer tend to hole up in heavy rain, but lighter doesn't seem to affect them. In fact one of the nicest bucks I ever shot was in a light drizzle and 35*, I was freezing my you know what off and this 24" wide buck comes walking across a 90 acre field just as I was about to pack it in. I used to use that as incentive to stay out when bigger made a difference. Now I meat hunt and does just taste better and are more tender. The season is long enough that I can give up a hunt for comfort.
    Stalking after a rain or during a light rain is a lot of fun for something different. The big problem we have is the fields are big and the wood lots are small and are the bedding areas so we don't like to stir them up till the hunt is almost over. We still hunt in pairs in an adaptation of the infantry fire and movement tactic. One person moves while one watches. The deer will concentrate on the moving person, giving the stationary hunter a shot. Hunter orange comes in handy with this tactic.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    In heavy rain I like to go where the deer bed up in bad weather, sit on a log hunched over until the rain quits. As soon as the deluge is over they get up and move like crazy in the thicket. That is when there is some great hunting.

In a drizzle, I like to move slowly until I cut frash sign, then I sit and get very still, have killed some fine deer this way.

A 44 carbine is about perfect for this type of wet weather hunting.

Boolit Master
    I like hunting in the rain light or heavy as long as there is not much wind, which always seems to ground animals wet or dry. Hunting wooded areas and using your eyes as much as possible as you can't hear anything moving. Bucks move more during the rain and just after it from my experience and don't move as cautiously. Take a sure shot as tracking becomes a lot more difficult.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Well this thread is interesting. It just goes to show that game may not do the same things in all areas.
    Absolutely.

Here if it's raining the deer will be in the swamps, bedded in the willows. I have also seen them in a heavy pine forest bedded under the thickest trees. Rarely have I seen them in the hardwood forest during a heavy rain though.

I hunt in south Texas. If it is light rain I will occasionally see a deer or two. Heavy rain, forget it! They disappear and I just don't see them. The best time to hunt them is right before or right after a hard rain, they are usually moving all over the place.

Banned

in my experince they will actually move more in daylight. I think they do it to feed because when its raining and dark its tougher for them to smell and see danger.

Moderator Emeritus

I have shot a few out and about in the rain.
    My old neighbor's dairy herd would head for the barn if it sprinkled and stay out in it if it was a 3 day rain. I watched several times after he said so. Animals know a lot of things about the weather.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    When I wake up to heavy rain, I turn over and go back to sleep. When it quits, though, that is one of the best times to still hunt.
    At 65 yo and being retired, I have learned there will be days when I won't get wet. Hunting in the rain is for you young guys that have to go back to work on Monday morning.