RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Total Newbie needs help

Boolit Master

Total Newbie needs help

I finally got my R RH last week. Now the work begins. I slugged the cylinders, the measurements are .429 / .429 / .428 / .4285 / .429 / .4285 The barrel measures .4275. I used case lube to lubricate bullets that were WW alloy.
    From my reading i should start with a bullet sized to .430. Correct? I already heve cast a couple different bullets so far. A Lee and a Lyman that i have cast are at .429 they are lubed with LLA when they are put into the cylinder it only takes a lite finger pressure to push them through the cylinder throat. Is it supposed to take more than lite pressure to prevent leading?
    I am really antsy to make some loads an try it out!!!!!!!!!!!
    Could someone out there with more experiance useing a caliper measure my sluged bullets to see if i am correct on my measurements?

sounds like you are going in the right direction

if you want to send me your boolits to me I would gladly mesure them for you just pm me and we can talk
    My idea of gun control is a firm grip

Boolit Grand Master

So load some and try it. No harm will come. Personally, I'd start with .430 diam, but
    .429 may work just great.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

In Remebrance

The easy method- take a case fired with a full house load, cast or jacketed doesn't matter. Measure the ID of the case mouth. That's as big as you can go. Start there unless it's grossly oversize, ie-more than .004 larger than your barrel

Banned

That just does not sound right for the bore. Most Ruger's will be .430", .429"---maybe. It sounds like there is a tight spot at the threads and pushing the slug through made it smaller.
    Put a strong hardwood stick about 1' long across the recoil plate, drop a close to bore size brass rod down the bore to the stick. A good hardwood dowel will work. The end of the rod should be in the muzzle a little ways for room for the slug. Tap in a slug and take another rod to the slug with a fairly heavy hammer. Give the slug a smack to upset it into the rifling good. Put the muzzle down on a board and use the stick to force the slug back out the muzzle. Takes both hands or some raps on one end of the stick. Make sure the bore is clean and oiled.
    Now compare that slug to one pushed all the way through.
    Don't use a caliper, you need a good mike that measures in .0001".
    I never, ever seen that tight of a bore on a Ruger.

Banned

By the way, it is also best to upset a slug in the throats too before pushing them back out. An oversize slug will be shaved when starting it in and can read small.