RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead Alloy Hardness Tester

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    I am partial to the LBT... have for a while & I do not have a Crabtree. Have tried the others and they are no help to me ...
    But with a little trial and error I would have to say IF you do not have the now $100 for a new LBT the "hammer& Ball bearing SMACK" works as good as I will ever need. A good dial caliper is also VERY helpful in measuring the impresions in the Pure lead sample and the "Unknown sample"along with a calculator. BUT you cannot test individuals Boolits with the Ball Bearing Test so the LBT still gets out of the box off and on.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Excellent Thread, Gentlemen

Thank you one and all - I think I will opt for the Cabine Tree Dual Purpose Tester. It appeals to me...
    Maj, USAF (ret)
    Member, SCV
    Life Member VFW, DAV, TSRA and MOAA
    Benefactor Member, NRA

"A good plan, violently executed today, is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
    - Gen George S. Patton

I have a SAECO tester. After sending it back to be "fixed" it reads well. If I had to do it again I would go with the Cabine Tree. The ability to check ingots would be helpful. Order his locking mold handles, you will love them.

Boolit Buddy

Tester

DAFZipper, ditto on Cabine Tree products. Have the dual tester, locking handles, cross sticks,and a couple other items. Excellent products, and Jim is a great guy to boot. Circuit Rider

Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    Guess I am the odd-ball here because I don't own a Cabine Tree. I do have a Lee and a LBT. Had a Saeco and did not like it so sold it here. My LBT is easy to use BUT it gives inconsistent readings do I believe to the non-precise zero setting before reading a sample boolit.

As it came from the factory, my Lee was impossible for me to use. Hands are too shakey. I was never sure I was holding the "indenter" in the exact same position for each test so I mounted a dial indicator on it which allows me to hold it within 1/2 thousand each test. I could not hold the scope steady enough for a ready so I removed the guts from a childs mocroscope and installed the Lee scope in place. I also made a holder for the boolit that I could slide under the scope with BOTH shakey hands for a more steady positioning. I installed a small tube flashlight for additional lighting. There are pictures somewhere on this forum of my Lee set-up. My Lee now gives me the most consistent readings and is VERY easy to use. Of the two it is my favorite and I trust it the most.

After reading all of the "raves" about the Cabine Tree I may get one in the future to try. Not this year, money is too tight.

Larry
    Larry here you go.. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...&highlight=Lee
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Has anyone heard of the Potter Hardness tester? I saw a picture of one in an old catalog I have and wondered how well it worked. I'll see if I can post of photo of it later, to maybe help someone recongize it.

If someone has one,I'd really like to see some close up pictures of it and also know some of hte dimensions off of it.

Thanks
    Casting Timmy

Moderator Emeritus
    Never heard of that one, look forward to the pictures CT.

Welcome to Cast Boolits BTW.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Let's see if I add this picture in right. I found it in an old gun book and catalog combo.....wish I could buy the guns in the catalog at those prices still. It's definitely an old book, but it has a lot of good information in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails potter pic for post.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Here is an article on the results of an experiment on alloy hardness testers done by one of cast boolits members. A lot of good info and comparison's.

Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I use this set up to measure my lead. I keep all my batches and lead scrounges separate. I use WW, lino and pure as my reference. I use calipers and a magnaviser to measure the indentation.

Last edited by zomby woof; 10-25-2009 at 09:54 AM.

A vote for the LBT

I'm not as knowlegdeable as most of you all here but I'll throw my opinion out there anyway. I like my LBT hardness tester. It's easy to use and the results seem to be pretty consistent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12