RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead Alloy Hardness Tester

Lead Alloy Hardness Tester

What's the consensus on hardness testers for alloys. I know there are different types for Brinnell and relative hardness but have never researched them. I have been casting for almost 40 years and usually used wheelweights, but as I mellow I'm thinking of mixing my own alloys to a specific BHN. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Maj Dad
    Maj, USAF (ret)
    Member, SCV
    Life Member VFW, DAV, TSRA and MOAA
    Benefactor Member, NRA

"A good plan, violently executed today, is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
    - Gen George S. Patton

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Cabinetree.

Easiest and most readily repeatable hardness tester.IMHO
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

+1 on the Cabinetree. I had a Saeco and it did not perform well. I tested it against the Cabinetree and found it lacking in accuracy and consistency. I wound up putting the Saeco on fleabay. Go ahead and spring for the upgraded model that sells for $135 because it does more than just test hardness.

Moderator Emeritus
    Cabine Tree for me.

Gussy is one of us too.

http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetr...ad_testers.htm

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Banned

like was said dont waste your money. The cabintree unit is relitively inexpesive especially considering the quality of the unit and is much easier to use and get consistant readings from.

In Remebrance

Cabine Tree without question is the best value. 2nd choice is the much more expensive and limited LBT. Lee, SAECO, etc isn't worth the time or money.

Boolit Master

I don't know what they are now but when I bought mine the LBT was less than the cabine tree. Easier to use, too. And when we had the big test a couple of years ago, where all of us were sent bullets and we compared results, the LBT was right up there near the top for consistency. Mine tested closer to the lab tested bullets then most. It won't test ingots, but then ingot testing seems to be spotty at best as far as accuracy.

Boolit Master

I too have the Cabine Tree. I have not found the extras all that beneficial but I cast only for pistol caliber. I cannot imagine a better BHN tester, but at the same time, the BHN is only a reference and yours will be different from mine or most anybody elses.
    EW

anachronism
    LBTs tester is $100.00, so the Cabine Tree tester is slightly higher. LBTs tester also reads in bhn, there's no conversion chart necessary. I just ordered an LBT, so time will tell if I made the right decision.

In Remebrance

When I bought my Cabine Tree it was a good $20.00 less than the LBT. Must be prices have risen.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the LBT and have been quite satisfied with it.

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Got a brand new "at least it look like it" SAECO in a box of misc. stuff for $5. at a gun show. Got home and tried it and quickly found out why.

Boolit Man
    where do you buy an LBT from? I did a search and didn't find anywhere. I'm not familiar with it, i just wanted to see what it looked like. I've had a Saeco for over 5 years and i'm not very happy with it.

So of the two, which is the easiest to use or setup?

Thanks,
    Ken

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The cabin tree is a little more in cost but if you load rifle rounds and want to test run out you can. You can also test bullets for runout. It's built like a tank and should still be used by your family 100 yrs from now. You will be too old to use it , I might still be using mine. Lets see if i can make it to 162 and still be shooting and on the cast boolits forum.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    The standard Cabine Tree is $103 now.

I love mine ! Had it for about five years !

http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetr...ad_testers.htm

http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetr...g_products.htm

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Ken 45LC View Post
    where do you buy an LBT from? I did a search and didn't find anywhere. I'm not familiar with it, i just wanted to see what it looked like. I've had a Saeco for over 5 years and i'm not very happy with it.

So of the two, which is the easiest to use or setup?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Lead Bullet Technology makes it, Try google. It's easier to use than the Cabine Tree and gives a direct Bhn readout, but it's not as well built IMO, is subject to normal damage and isn't adjustable for that damage that I recall. I like the easy to use part, but if I'm spending about the same on either, I'll take the more useful CT- plus Gussy is a supporter here and has been forever. LBT isn't.

Boolit Master

Guess I am the odd-ball here because I don't own a Cabine Tree. I do have a Lee and a LBT. Had a Saeco and did not like it so sold it here. My LBT is easy to use BUT it gives inconsistent readings do I believe to the non-precise zero setting before reading a sample boolit.

As it came from the factory, my Lee was impossible for me to use. Hands are too shakey. I was never sure I was holding the "indenter" in the exact same position for each test so I mounted a dial indicator on it which allows me to hold it within 1/2 thousand each test. I could not hold the scope steady enough for a ready so I removed the guts from a childs mocroscope and installed the Lee scope in place. I also made a holder for the boolit that I could slide under the scope with BOTH shakey hands for a more steady positioning. I installed a small tube flashlight for additional lighting. There are pictures somewhere on this forum of my Lee set-up. My Lee now gives me the most consistent readings and is VERY easy to use. Of the two it is my favorite and I trust it the most.

After reading all of the "raves" about the Cabine Tree I may get one in the future to try. Not this year, money is too tight.

Larry

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I just bought a Cabin Tree last week. I've been using a Saeco. I haven't had a chance to use the CT yet but I will tomorrow. I want to do a few comparisons between the two testers then I'll most likely sell the Saeco here since it's practically new.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

Funny, I test my bullets all the time, every time I make up a new batch of alloy. I test bullets other people give me. My LBT seems to be very consistent. I guess you just have to follow ALL the directions given with the tester. Not saying the Cabine Tree doesn't work well, but I see no need for me to buy another tester. And it sure seems like the easiest to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast