Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: "The load" and M1s, safe or not?

"The load" and M1s, safe or not?

The word is the red dot "load" of 13 grains in 30-06 is safe to use in M1s. I've tried it on my 03a3 and works fine. In fact I did a reduced load of 12 grains successfully.

I need to hear from people that have actually tried it, not from a friend of a cousin of a friend that used it and used it alot. If you haven't thats fine but be honest, no one wants to get someone hurt here.

Theres some concern that this might bend or snap the op-rod which can potentially kill you. As one can expect dying is not a desirable aspect of reloading. Also need to know will it cycle the action or not.

Boolit Grand Master
    "Theres some concern that this might bend or snap the op-rod which can potentially kill you. As one can expect dying is not a desirable aspect of reloading. Also need to know will it cycle the action or not."

The answer is "No."

The port pressure of this fast burning powder is low. It's not high enough to cycle my rifle.

Where'd you get the rather whimsical notion it will snap the operating rod? Some paranoid internet misinformation? Not only is port pressure low due to the fast burn rate, overall peak pressure is low as well.

+1 to what 35remington said.

A fast powder like red dot would reach peek pressure soon after the boolit left the case, and pressure would drop off very quickly. I would bet that load would barely even move the bolt, let alone eject.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Where'd you get the rather whimsical notion it will snap the operating rod? Some paranoid internet misinformation? Not only is port pressure low due to the fast burn rate, overall peak pressure is low as well.
    I know, dumb question but better safe than sorry.
    Snapped op-rods in M1s were common early on, with lethal effect. Of course they were almost completely due to the way the early uncut op-rods slammed back sharply snapping.
    My M1, like most, doesn't have an uncut op-rod but there was some concern the load was sharp, with its peak withing the first couple inches of the barrel, maybe making the action pop too fast.
    M1 is a finicky machine, but what I'm hearing is as long as I don't mind manually cycling the action should be fine correct?

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Correct. If you manually cycle it it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I know, dumb question......
    There is never a "dumb" question.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

M1 Garand

13.5 grs of red dot with Lee 312-160 TL will open the bolt about 1 1/2 inches.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master

For get the RD, load 33-37 grains of 4895 and a dacron filler under any boolit 180 or heaver and be done with it.
    It's a good load and cycles the action
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

I have have good results with 4895 and a dacron filler with a 311284 210 gr cast boolits with 29 gr of powder. I operated the Garand slowly but dumpted the empties right in front of me and recoils softly.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    For get the RD, load 33-37 grains of 4895 and a dacron filler under any boolit 180 or heaver and be done with it.
    It's a good load and cycles the action
    I like "the load" in the 03A3 for its accuracy, light kick, light report, and ease on my brass. Also experimenting with a load light enough to use a lead boolit without GCs.

Boolit Grand Master
    "My M1, like most, doesn't have an uncut op-rod but there was some concern the load was sharp, with its peak withing the first couple inches of the barrel, maybe making the action pop too fast."

Can't. "Sharp" doesn't have anything to do with it, and a "peak" of pressure close to the chamber guarantees port pressure will be low.....so it can't "pop too fast." "Too slow" is a better term.

The operating rod is driven by the port pressure near the end of the barrel where the pressure of fast powders has dropped dramatically. Can't "pop too fast" when the port pressure is very low combined with low gas volume due to the light charge of fast powder. In fact, as the other posters and I can tell you, it barely "pops" at all.

Sounds good

Boolit Master

If you have any worries, get a spring release gas port plug. These were used so the op-rod wouldn't get any gas pressure when firing rifle grenades. These were fired with a special high pressure blank cartridge. The grenade launcher fit on the forward end of the barrel and had a pin which pressed on the gas port plug and opened it so the gas pressure was released out the front. Make a device to press the button at the bottom of the X shaped cuts on the front of the gas plug or take it apart and leave the valve out. Match shooters prefer the solid style plugs so the spring release plugs are pretty easy to find. This will turn your M1 into a straight pull bolt action rifle.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Buddy
    I highly recomend an adjustable gas plug for the Garand. You can adjust it from a closed position to an open position.

This allows any type of reload to be used and still protects the op rod.

Here is a link to Midway, it sells for 36 usd plus shipping

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=777146

This device once it is properly adjusted allows you to use any factory load 30-06 amunition.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

M1 Garand

does any one know of a broken operating rod or one that injured any one.or is this an other urban mith.
    WILDCATT